MAurice Sendak | News | Stephen Colbert

Maurice Sendak Gives a Genius Interview to Stephen Colbert: VIDEO

Sendak

Stephen Colbert sits down with Where the Wild Things Are and In The Night Kitchen author Maurice (don't say he writes for children) Sendak, and talks about a variety of topics including Newt Gingrich, Sendak's smutty books, and how he is possibly allowed to write for children as a gay man.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via buzzfeed)

Comments

1. He gets an ovation from me!

Posted by: Rex | Jan 25, 2012 2:22:12 PM

2. You said it Maurice Sendak is a genius in this interview and a true american icon. I myself have aways loved his work!

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Jan 25, 2012 2:44:29 PM

3. I was very happy to learn he is gay, a few years ago. More oldsters who couldn't come out early might find it possible to do so now. He's a wise and delightfully talented man.

Posted by: lewlew | Jan 25, 2012 2:53:59 PM

4. This interview is wonderful. And I kinda love how crotchety Sendak is.

But is he aware that Colbert is playing a character? Discuss.

Posted by: endo | Jan 25, 2012 2:58:56 PM

5. Unavailable video. Again. AAARRRGGHHH!!! It's not like I live in Patagonia or anything.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jan 25, 2012 3:20:04 PM

6. I saw him on Colbert last night, he made me laugh to the point that I woke up my family. He has balls and he's not affraid to speak his mind. For that, I simply adore this man.

Posted by: Cocoa | Jan 25, 2012 3:39:31 PM

7. I adore him too. (And I read 'wild things' to my 4 year old at least once a week).
    That said, I'm fairly surprised - having never seen 'in the night kitchen' - that juxtaposed against a drawing of the kid is the big, red "cock-a-doodle-doo!"
    Though it's over the heads of kids, that's pretty wild.

(And for those who are big fans of Sendak, listen to Terry Gross of Fresh Air, and her most recent interview with him, I think it was in October 2011. It's among the few finest radio interviews I've ever heard).

Posted by: dw | Jan 25, 2012 4:18:57 PM

8. Sendak is the greatest! Thank you for posting this.

Please, please post Part Two after it airs.

Posted by: Lucien | Jan 25, 2012 4:31:30 PM

9. That was priceless.

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 25, 2012 5:28:58 PM

10. part two after it airs please! :)

Posted by: wtf | Jan 25, 2012 5:36:18 PM

11. That was hysterical. My head hurts from laughing so hard.

Posted by: dawn | Jan 25, 2012 9:32:24 PM

12. absolutely brilliant...fills me with hope somehow about everything!

Posted by: Michael Edwards | Jan 25, 2012 10:10:07 PM

13. Wondrful stuff! I've met Maurice at the "local" gay bar - Triangles in Danbury, CT. Most people didn't know who he was because they didn't recognize him and he was so humble about his success (at first). He's a very, very nice guy. He's also a neighbor.

Posted by: tomjck | Jan 28, 2012 12:52:40 AM