Gay Marriage | Maryland | News

BigGayDeal.com

14-Year-Old Asks Maryland Lawmakers to Say 'No' to Same-Sex Marriage for Her Birthday: AUDIO

Maryland’s Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee heard testimony this afternoon on the marriage equality bill pending there. Among those testifying was a 14-year-old girl named Sarah Crank.

MarylandSaid Sarah:

"Today is my 14th birthday and it would be the best birthday present ever if you would vote NO on gay marriage. I really feel bad for the kids who have two parents of the same gender. Even though some kids think it's fine, they have no idea what kind of wonderful experiences they miss out on. I don't want more kids to get confused about what's right and okay. I really don't want to grow up in a world where marriage isn't such a special thing anymore."

She added:

"It's rather scary to think that when I grow up the legislature or the court can change the definition of any word they want. If they could change the definition of marriage then they could change the definition of any word. People have the choice to be gay, but I don't want to be affected by their choice. People say that they were born that way, but I've met really nice adults who did change."

Sarah, who says she is "home-schooled", then received a boatload of praise for her "very good testimony" from whatever right-wing bigot was shepherding her through the process: "You get an 'A'."

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via think progress lgbt)

More from today's hearing at the Washington Post and Baltimore Sun...

Comments

1. Grotesque... Such a bigot and still so young. I suppose there is hope for her someday, but highly doubt it.

Posted by: Tim | Jan 31, 2012 6:49:11 PM

2. I'll bet her parents had a fit over the lesbian couple whose son pleaded with Michelle Bachmann.

Barf.

Posted by: Geoff M | Jan 31, 2012 6:52:11 PM

3. i concur, Geoff.

Dear Sarah, if you ever plan on going to university i have some dreadfully sad news for you: nobody is going to want to be your friend"

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 31, 2012 6:58:20 PM

4. On her "own volition"...I'm guessing will be the coming statement? B*LL. SH*T.

Maybe I haven't been following this enough to hear of anything worse, but this really seems like the lowest of the low in terms of the state marriage battles across the country.

Please expand on those "wonderful experiences" to be missed honey. Oh wait, your parents couldn't articulate them in this statement they wrote for you. I'd also love to meet the ex-gays to which you speak so you can hear them admit to you the feelings are still there, they just don't act on them. Or they're bisexual's identifying as straight that have assimilated into the hetero-normative privilege.

Posted by: Leo | Jan 31, 2012 7:00:26 PM

5. Making homeschooled kids everywhere look terrible.

Look, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that these are your opinions and not necessarily those directly spoon fed into your mouth by your folks (though I'm sure they feel the same way) and if that's the case, you need to rethink your reasoning:

"I really feel bad for the kids who have two parents of the same gender. Even though some kids think it's fine, they have no idea what kind of wonderful experiences they miss out on."

Kid, their parents are going to be in a relationship whether or not they can get married, so these kids aren't going to be "missing out" on anything, except covered health care, coverage for life insurance, or visitation rights when one of their parents gets sick.

It's also great that you think you're in a place to tell other kids that the way they feel about their families is wrong and that you know better. Let this be a learning moment for you, because I'm sure in the next few days, you're going to hear a lot of the same things said about you and your family. And do you think those people know better than you about whether or not your family loves you or is a good family?

And sweetie, stop letting people think you're stupid because you think the same-sex marriage debate is about the meaning of words. The dictionary alters the definitions of words all the time. Pick arguments that you can actually defend.

And finally, before you make statements like this, please actually stop and consider just how exactly something you're against is going to affect you. If you can tell me how two people you don't know getting married is going to affect the way your marriage happens and turns out (if it ever happens), we might be able to have a discussion.

But in the mean time, I just feel sorry for you, and I'm thankful some of your other peers are lightyears ahead of you on this one.

Posted by: luminum | Jan 31, 2012 7:01:44 PM

6. "It's rather scary to think that when I grow up the legislature or the court can change the definition of any word they want."

Then why the eff are you talking because "woman" used to be traditionally defined as "stay at home, have babies, and keep cooking!"

Dumb parents, dumb child.

Posted by: redball | Jan 31, 2012 7:01:51 PM

7. i have a prediction:

in 10 years we're going to see thing young lady having a very Dunaway-in-Chinatown moment...

"she's my sister...she's my daughter...she's...my sister...and my daughter....she's my sister AND my daughter..."

gross. i know. but hey, if the homeschooled whitetrash bible-thumpin' shoe fits....

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 31, 2012 7:04:22 PM

8. The whole purpose of home schooling is to exert maximum control over your child's mind. This is true whether you're righty or lefty. The public schools have their problems, but let's admit one thing: they are staffed by professional educators. Not by parents seeking to use mind control, though there's plenty of that at the School Board meetings.

Posted by: Demian | Jan 31, 2012 7:05:26 PM

9. What the F*ck is this!! I'm almost 17 so fir my 17th birthday I'll ask for marriage equality ^_^ how about that! GOD! people like this make me mad, especially since she's YOUNGER THAN ME!!

Posted by: Jake | Jan 31, 2012 7:08:28 PM

10. What a sweet little girl? Maybe she learned this from her parents. But she sounds like a little snob. I've known girls like that. She gets an F.

Posted by: john patrick | Jan 31, 2012 7:27:59 PM

11. Religious brainwashing is terrible. What her parents did to her is nothing but child abuse. She will have a hard time functioning in the real world

Posted by: Steve | Jan 31, 2012 7:39:16 PM

12. When she gets older and has to survive in the real world, she'll realize that her parents screwed her.

Posted by: Edd | Jan 31, 2012 7:42:57 PM

13. Maybe someone will gift-wrap something else for her birthday instead. Like her head. In Saran Wrap.

OK OK, I'm JUST KIDDING. She's 14, she's homeschooled, and the first time she has a thought that wasn't spoon-fed to her by her control freak parents she'll think she's being possessed by demons. But there's still hope for her.

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 31, 2012 7:45:10 PM

14. Child abuse, plain and simple.

Posted by: Wisebear | Jan 31, 2012 7:51:07 PM

15. I don't know which is more upsetting to me -- the way this child has been abused by her parents' religious extremeist brainwashing or the fact that so many of you are attacking the CHILD for this! I WAS brainwashed by evangelicals at about this age (thank God not family members) and it drove me to a serious anxiety disorder I'm still grappling with thirty years later.

I hope this poor girl manages to get enough space she can learn to think straight without really bad damage having been done to her psyche by these sick people. Her parents are the monsters here, not her.

Posted by: Shelly | Jan 31, 2012 8:00:07 PM

16. Shelly,

How are we attacking her? She put herself out there by choice, and should accept what may happen as a result.

Posted by: Stefan | Jan 31, 2012 8:29:03 PM

17. Yeah, everyone has been railing on her parents if anything. It surely isn't her fault, except maybe for being so gullible.

Posted by: Jeremy | Jan 31, 2012 8:42:22 PM

18. An anti gay marriage homophobic homeschooled religious zealot who knows ex-gays from BOWIE MD. Not so shocking. That's where they all live.

Posted by: Mike | Jan 31, 2012 8:43:11 PM

19. Oh KIWI. So young, and yet schooled in the classics. Sister daughter sister daughter. SCORE!

Posted by: TJ | Jan 31, 2012 8:44:08 PM

20. Demian: You are an idiot. I was homeschooled because my parents got pissed off at what a waste of time going to school was for me and my siblings. We were bored in class because the teachers catered to the lowest common denominator. One of my parents was a democrat and the other is a republican. My mother has her masters in special education and learning styles. My father is an electrical engineer.

They never tried to control my thoughts. The idea was, simply, that they could do a better job educating me than the local school system, and they were right. Most of my peers never went to college. I went to a prestigious public university. Most of my peers are still living in my hometown without work. I am a software engineer living outside the US in Sydney, Australia. I travel all over the world and am saving up to buy a house whenever I decide to come back to the US.

Next time you log on to make asinine comments about something you don't have the slightest idea about -- Don't.

Posted by: lemon-lime | Jan 31, 2012 8:50:45 PM

21. Said MalaysianHo
    “Today is my 12th birthday and it would be the best birthday present ever if you would vote NO on Sarahs’ parents’ marriage. I really feel bad for the kids of Sarah’s parents. Even though they think it's fine, they have no idea what kind of wonderful experiences they miss out on. I don't want more kids to get confused about what's right and okay. I really don't want to grow up in a world where marriage isn't such a special thing anymore.“

Posted by: MalaysianHO | Jan 31, 2012 8:53:10 PM

22. Home-schooled kids are total foot soldiers for the GOP and vastly taught in a highly religious fashion. This little girl was force-fed all this nonsense and her peers will not respect her for it. I feel sorry for the girl because she has only ever known what it's like to be raised by hate-filled parents.

Posted by: Darrell | Jan 31, 2012 8:55:22 PM

23. "I really feel bad for the kids who have two parents of the same gender." ... no honey, you should start by feeling bad for the kids without parents at all.

Posted by: jj | Jan 31, 2012 8:56:09 PM

24. The same Republican Conservatives who condemned the little boy with the 2 moms confronting Michelle Bachman will praise this little girl. Hypocrites!

Posted by: Jim | Jan 31, 2012 8:57:34 PM

25. She's 14. What does she know about dating, much less marriage? In fairness to her (yes, stop it) she's still at that young age where in her head marriage = wedding. Some people never get over that. So in her selfish mind all of this ruins that notion of gowns and tuxedos and prince charming and snow white stuff.

The reality of marriage and relationships takes a maturity of thought that she doesn't have yet. She knows nothing of bills, budgets, house cleaning, in-laws and all of the reality of marriage and children.

To her its the wedding and the picture. As you get older and realize that relationships are work, you just kind of go "Bravo" to anyone that can make them work.

That is, unless you are some bitter old hag or white haired douchbag who leaves his cancer stricken wife for another ugly ass tart.

Ahem.