Australia | Billie Jean King | Gay Marriage | Margaret Court | Martina Navratilova | Sports | Tennis

Tennis Legend Margaret Court Doesn't Want to Be Labeled a Hater for Calling Gays 'Abominable'

Tennis legend-turned-pastor Margaret Court, who spoke out against marriage equality in December, doesn't want to be called a hater, she tells the NYT in a new interview defending her remarks.

CourtSaid Court about gay people in December:

"They are not perfect, often dysfunctional and despite the fact the role models may be distorted and even severely flawed, there is no reason to put forward alternative, unhealthy, unnatural unions as some form of substitute. No amount of legislation or political point-scoring can ever take out of the human heart the knowledge that in the beginning God created them male and female and provided each with a unique sexual function to bring forth new life. To dismantle this sole definition of marriage and try to legitimise what God calls abominable sexual practices that include sodomy, reveals our ignorance as to the ills that come when society is forced to accept law that violates their very own God-given nature of what is right and what is wrong."

After anger from fellow tennis players Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova and threats of a protest by LGBT rights groups at this month's Australian Open, Court says "I don’t hate homosexual people" but stands by her remarks:

I remember, probably 10, 12 years ago, I spoke with Martina Navratilova. To say that I “hate” homosexuals and lesbians is not [accurate] because we have them in our church. I work with them. And I remember saying to Martina: “Martina, I love you. God loves you. But a wrong doesn’t make a right.”...

...I make a stand for both my biblical side, and what I believe. And I think — it’s a choice. And I think there’s young people today that need to know it’s a choice in life. And that was my side of it, bringing that forth. I’ve got nothing against the people themselves, I’ve always said that all the years I’ve been a minister.

More at the NYT...

Comments

1. Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova are tennis legends. Most people who don't even follow tennis know who they are. Not so with Margaret Court. The jealousy must eat her alive. Perhaps this is why she's such an evil hateful bigot.

If she actually lectured Martina Navratilova with her anti-gay "what's wrong and wrong" rhetoric, it makes me respect Martina even more for having the grace not to spit in this stupid woman's face.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Jan 4, 2012 8:11:18 PM

2. What a loon. The woman is so batshit crazy I almost feel sorry for her.

Posted by: ozu | Jan 4, 2012 8:11:49 PM

3. And I love Margaret to death, even though I would say to her, "It is not your fault you are full of shite, and that you are a stupid, superstition ho'. And your god is a figment of a demented imagination." But I don't hate you, I love you honey, anyhow. Just hide that biblical side of you as long as you can. It makes you look like an ugly, despicable bigot."

Posted by: candideinnc | Jan 4, 2012 8:17:07 PM

4. Oh c'mon. I see her point. I spoke to a bigoted homo-hater 10 or 12 years ago so obviously I don't hate homo-haters. I told Jesse Helms when I ran into him on a visit to D.C. that I didn't hate him as a human being, I hated him as a bigot.

Posted by: topdawg | Jan 4, 2012 8:25:45 PM

5. Interesting how she decides not to follow certaint other parts of the bible... like Timothy 2:12 for example (I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent).

Posted by: denizon | Jan 4, 2012 8:29:24 PM

6. Thank you Denizon. That is exactly how I feel.

When you point out parts of the Bible that believes in murder, slavery, multiple wives they make up excuses.

My favorite is still Leviticus that says that if you sleep with someone who is not your husband or wive that you should be killed. Can we start with some of the the Presidential candidates since it clearly states this in the Bible.

Posted by: Dawson | Jan 4, 2012 8:40:57 PM

7. Wants to be a bigot but not treated like one. Nice.

Posted by: David | Jan 4, 2012 9:02:44 PM

8. Thank God she's isolated in Perth. That's probably why her 19th century thinking remains unchanged.

Reasonable people need to shun people like her until they die out.

Posted by: Fahd | Jan 4, 2012 9:02:56 PM

9. Dear Maggie,

It's not a choice. It's simply what God wants, regardless of your erroneous interpretation of the Bible.

So, please, Mag, go F**k yourself.

Love,
    Us.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 4, 2012 9:36:41 PM

10. @BOBBYJOE: Margaret Court may be a bigot and a hater, but she was truly one of the great champions of the game. Only 3 women, Margaret Court, Maureen Connoly Brinker and Steffi Graf, have won the singles title in all 4 Grand Slam tournaments in a single year. The fact that she isn't as well known today as Billie Jean King or Martina Navratilova is simply because she retired 15 years before King and almost 20 years before Navratilova.

Posted by: peterparker | Jan 4, 2012 9:45:02 PM

11. Silly ignorant Australian cow. What's in the water down there?

Posted by: jason | Jan 4, 2012 9:51:01 PM

12. It takes more than some old book ALLEGEDGLY claiming that "God Said such'n'such" to make something "right" or "wrong".

Christianity has strayed from it's true course and has become a tool of bigots to deprive others of their God Given Rights.

Posted by: Jexer | Jan 4, 2012 9:56:02 PM

13. And after she won the grand slam, all 4 in the same year, she was later beaten in the same year, by then 15 year old Chris Evert in straight sets.

Posted by: misael | Jan 4, 2012 9:56:03 PM

14. oh, c'MON, get the F&#K over this "it's a choice" shite already!!!!!

Posted by: jim | Jan 4, 2012 10:04:00 PM

15. Maggie, your bigotry is a choice. I think there are "young people out there" who need to stay well clear of your brand of "love".

My sexuality, regardless of whether or not it's a choice, is not any of your business, your church's business, your pulpit's business. It's my business. Take your nose out of it.

Posted by: Mitch | Jan 4, 2012 10:27:50 PM

16. You ARE a hateful hurtful dangerous hater. DEAL WITH IT or change!!!

Posted by: RMc | Jan 4, 2012 10:30:14 PM

17. Hi Margaret,

Please stop the f**k speaking for me.
    Signed ,
    God.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 4, 2012 10:40:11 PM

18. Sounds like some nasty homos hurt her fee-fees -- just because she generously shared with them how God thinks they're dysfunctional, their relationships are unnatural and they are responsible for the breakdown in society. I'll say this for her, the woman's got balls!

Posted by: Basil Brush | Jan 4, 2012 11:35:31 PM

19. Also, if it's any consolation, I have seen zero coverage of her views here in Australia.

Posted by: Basil Brush | Jan 4, 2012 11:39:38 PM

20. She lost me at God ;)

Posted by: Marc | Jan 4, 2012 11:45:41 PM

21. It's HILARIOUS that it's always straight people who are experts on whether or not homosexuality is a "choice". If she's straight-identified, and believes that her sexuality is a CHOICE then she is CLEARLY a BISEXUAL.

Posted by: wtf | Jan 5, 2012 12:49:16 AM

22. If she is so sure God says it is wrong, what does she say about the denominations which welcome, perform, and celebrate gay marriages (the same God she supposedly follows)? Oh that's right, they are all 'wrong' too.

Posted by: k | Jan 5, 2012 12:51:42 AM

23. Religion is a choice... and responsible for countless wars and deaths of millions of innocents.

Posted by: RJ | Jan 5, 2012 12:54:16 AM

24. honestly when court played it was a totally different game. i don't think she could beat
    martina or chrissie and the williams sister would have wipe the court with her.

Posted by: walter | Jan 5, 2012 12:56:26 AM

25. How can you tell when someone who calls themself a pastor is bull shitting you? There lips are moving. Thanks Judge Judy.

Posted by: jack | Jan 5, 2012 1:18:56 AM