2012 Election | Gay Marriage | Jon Huntsman | Mitt Romney | New Hampshire | Newt Gingrich | Religion | Republican Party | Rick Perry | Rick Santorum | Ron Paul

The Candidates Talk About The Gay Problem

Picture 17
Last night's GOP debate on ABC was a thoroughly enjoyable bit of absurdist political theater -- unless you're LGBT, a peacenik, or else just not madly in love with Mitt Romney, in which case it was probably pretty dispiriting.

Think Progress has done us all the favor of compiling the candidates' statements on the LGBT communities into a single, easily digestible vid. The editing's a bit weird, but it's easy enough to catch the drift. Watch, AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. Call me when the following happens:

Graffiti on homes saying "Crucify Christians"

People wearing crosses around their necks being spit on, verbally accosted, or physically attacked in public.

Legislators introducing bills stating that christians cannot marry or adopt.

Posted by: QJ201 | Jan 8, 2012 9:08:06 AM

2. the war on religion rears its head again!

Posted by: luke | Jan 8, 2012 9:09:36 AM

3. Should the Catholic Church be indicted by the Federal Government as a pedophile ring protecting perps by sending them across state lines to continue their crimes?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 8, 2012 9:12:12 AM

4. Santorum: "There aren't gay couples in every state."

The depth of ignorance is astounding. And I truly believe that's exactly what he thinks.

Posted by: johnny | Jan 8, 2012 9:32:15 AM

5. Not surprisingly, Newt Gingrich is a liar. Catholic Charities in MA was NOT shut down by the state. In fact, they placed 13 children with gay or lesbian couples before Sean O'Malley, Bernie Law's replacement, demanded they begin discriminating. One-fifth of the board of directors of the charity quit rather than comply.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Jan 8, 2012 9:34:14 AM

6. Why doesn't a moderator remind them that their personal religious views don't matter in politics?

Posted by: Wayne | Jan 8, 2012 9:41:48 AM

7. I know we are taught to forgive but my partner and I will NEVER forget the so-called good people marching with signs that read "THANK GOD FOR AIDS". We lost too many friends to be forgiving to that trash. VOTE DEMOCRATIC and don't forget either!

Posted by: Peter | Jan 8, 2012 9:43:22 AM

8. "There aren't gay couples in every state."

Santorum sounds like Ahmadinejad.

Posted by: Allahu Akbar | Jan 8, 2012 9:49:17 AM

9. That about sums up why I hate the GOP with so much passion!

Posted by: NY2.0 | Jan 8, 2012 10:09:00 AM

10. It think the title should be: their gay problem. Their answers are ridiculous.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 8, 2012 10:19:38 AM

11. Ha! My iPhone won't let me watch this BS. It's protecting me from starting out my day angry and disgusted by humanity! Thanks iPhone.

Posted by: AJ | Jan 8, 2012 10:26:16 AM

12. I can't bring myself to watch it. I knew before it started the GOP candidates would say a lot of offensive, distorted, ignorant, deliberate lies that would appeal to their Evengelical "Christian" base and they did. No surprise there. I don't need to rub my nose in the specifics because I already know them for what they are and oppose them unreservedly.

I'm glad others watched it but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Romney's statement (as reported by others) surprises me though, if only for its utter stupidity. Where exactly does he think gay couples AREN'T? There are gay couple in the Mormon wonderland of Utah and even Salt Lake City, the wilds of Wyoming, Alaska and the deepest South. So WTF is he going on about?

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 8, 2012 10:26:56 AM

13. Oops. Santorum said that, not Romney. THAT isn't quite so surprising, but still so monumentally stupid it's beyond imagination.

And if the whole pack of them weren't so craven and mendacious one of the others would have called him on it.

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 8, 2012 10:30:59 AM

14. "The edting's a bit weird, but it's easy enough to catch the drift."

Ugh, stop.

Posted by: Nautic | Jan 8, 2012 10:43:53 AM

15. Goddamn, motherfucking dirty pigs = GOP!

Posted by: Bobby | Jan 8, 2012 10:57:16 AM

16. News people are craven cowards. During the '60s, when discrimination against Blacks was discussed, there was no place outside of the South where news people would let bigots get away with the crap these Rethugs are spewing. Hatred of LGBT is the last socially acceptable bigotry in America, and the news people who moderate these programs and let the potential leaders of our nation get away with the lies, distortions and pandering to the lowest common denominators in our society are like the press in Nazi Germany who turned a blind eye to the attacks on the Jews. Collaborators!

Posted by: candideinnc | Jan 8, 2012 11:00:36 AM

17. I honestly didn't think it possible for me to despite Gingrich even more. Every day brings a new surprise.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 8, 2012 11:09:14 AM

18. Beggars can't be choosers.

Tax the Catholic Church.

And STOP giving it 2 billion dollars in federal tax money annually until they play nice.

If they want to play by their own rules... they can do it with their own damned money, NOT MINE.

Posted by: Jexer | Jan 8, 2012 11:15:53 AM

19. u wanna see/hear a good video on Rick Santorum....this guy will make you laugh your ass off....

Posted by: Gay american | Jan 8, 2012 11:29:49 AM

20. It should be played to the soundtrack of Michael Jackson's they don't care about us. Since most of the LGBT community put their apples in the Democratic Party cart, we arent a visible influence in the Republican Party to lobby for change. We need competition in political discourse.

Posted by: Matt from California | Jan 8, 2012 11:40:25 AM

21. The "War Against Religion" - where do I enlist? Where are the recruiting centers? And why can't we just call it a jihad so that we really can get people riled up?

What is really impressive about this rhetoric is how it makes fighting for freedom of religion (and the freedom from being forced into a belief system) and equality seem really evil and un-American. The only way people can be free to believe as they choose is to not only allow for a difference of opinion but also to not codify one belief system, especially those that favor faith over fact. There was an interesting opinion piece on CNN about Santorum (among others) wanting to have the laws of the land conform to biblical standards - sharia by another name. But I guess it's only scary if the laws are based on other religions.

Go ahead and believe that being gay is a choice (although my ultra-liberal fantasy self wonders, in a free country, so what?), or that people become gay because they have been molested. Go ahead and believe that marriage is only for procreation. Go ahead and believe that if you don't believe in these and other points of "morality" and faith, you will burn in hell. But in a free country, any restrictions on freedom must be based on reason and evidence.

Posted by: TJ | Jan 8, 2012 11:47:59 AM

22. Did think-progress censor Ron Paul too or did he not get to speak on this matter?

I'm sick of media censoring him. It is just ethically wrong. I don't get why the American media and the establishment are afraid of people like Paul or Chomsky.

Posted by: suede | Jan 8, 2012 12:03:54 PM

23. "MY HANDS ARE CLENCHED IN RAGE"...that this once again is the pulpit the Republicans feel they can win on their brand of Nazism!

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Jan 8, 2012 12:06:17 PM

24. As previously mentioned by CPT DOOM, Catholic Charities was not shut down by the state. Catholic Charities initially banned a twenty-year old practice of placing orphans with gay couples due to an order reportedly received directly from the Vatican by Archbishop Sean O'Malley. When the state required compliance with Massachusetts' anti-discrimination laws and under protest by its own board of directors, the church ceased all adoption rather than LOSE ITS GOVERNMENT FUNDING.

Catholic Charities could have continued adopting children as the Archbishop/Vatican saw fit, but would have had to do so without the fat paycheck from the state. So much for states rights.

So Santorum thinks some states don't have gay citizens and Gingrich implies that the existence gay citizens and support of equal rights for those citizens is anti-Christian discrimination.

There's not enough lipstick in all of Max Factor and Maybelline combined to prettify the pigs of discrimination that seek to be the next President of the United States.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Jan 8, 2012 12:37:20 PM

25. I don't know how many of you reading this live outside of the USA (as I do) but what's interesting to me is that if you go to a church in Europe you will be hard pressed to find anyone under the age of 70 or 80. Middle aged and young people have nothing to do with religion in Europe.
    When did the USA become this hot bed for religion in politics?

Posted by: oliver | Jan 8, 2012 12:38:11 PM