Chris Cornell | San Francisco | Whitney Houston

BigGayDeal.com

Chris Cornell's Live Tribute To Whitney Houston: VIDEO

Cornell
This is both the strangest and most affecting tribute to Whitney I've seen all week. Here is Chris Cornell, the titanic voice behind Soundgarden, singing a solo version of "I Will Always Love You" as an encore in San Francisco. Cornell acknowledges that he's only just learned the song, and it's by no means a perfect version. Then it again, it is.

Watch AFTER THE JUMP ...

(HT: Buzzfeed)

Comments

1. Wonderful and touching.

Posted by: Just Say Yes | Feb 18, 2012 12:32:24 PM

2. Wow, well done.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Feb 18, 2012 12:41:05 PM

3. Cool beans!

Posted by: Christopher | Feb 18, 2012 12:44:54 PM

4. Sweet.

Posted by: romeo | Feb 18, 2012 1:35:26 PM

5. Very touching indeed

Posted by: Secret Identity | Feb 18, 2012 1:42:46 PM

6. im so confused i keep hearing people cover this song did dolly parton die???

Posted by: sean | Feb 18, 2012 1:56:15 PM

7. Don't be snarky. Whitney was not a song-writer. This is one of the songs that is most closely identified with her.

Posted by: Mike B. | Feb 18, 2012 2:11:27 PM

8. Nice tribute -- and also a testament to Dolly's skill as a songwriter

Posted by: hanford | Feb 18, 2012 4:49:59 PM

9. "...singing a solo version of "I Will Always Love You."

As opposed to, what, the choral version?

"I Will Always Love You" is a solo.

Posted by: John in Iowa | Feb 18, 2012 5:15:06 PM

10. i don't think that man could be any more perfect than he just showed us all to be. classy guy, a voice that soars to the celestial bodies, and activism that helps us and future generations.

now if he'd only swear off women, get david grohl to do the same, and both move in to my flat and date me.

a guy can dream.

Posted by: vwdavy | Feb 18, 2012 6:49:49 PM

11. I love his voice. That was a great rendition, and Whitney would appreciate it. Since she didn't write any of her own music it is appropriate that this is the song she will always be remembered for. Plus a reminder that Dolly is a brilliant song writer.

Posted by: Jwl | Feb 18, 2012 8:00:26 PM

12. Well done Chris! I have to say that that Whitney's version of "I Will Always Love You" is powerful, it has never been one of my favorites. I grew up on the Dolly Pardon version, and the song was written and performed by Dolly more as a love letter or poem; however, it is a sad good-bye to someone you love. To me it is meant to be a ballad or softer song.
    Never the less, Whitney's death is a sad thing, and heart goes out to her family

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 18, 2012 8:29:02 PM

13. As tributes go, this was as real and touching as any I've seen.

Suddenly I feel an urge to search for Soundgarden on itunes to replace a certain long-lost cassette tape I listened to repeatedly fifteen or so years ago. ;)

Posted by: sparks | Feb 18, 2012 9:14:58 PM

14. Sorry, TOO MUCH Whitney coverage.. What in the HELL did she EVER do for the gay community besides use our dancers for her videos?

....anyone?
    I'd really like to hear from Madonna haters

Posted by: Devils Advocate | Feb 18, 2012 10:24:56 PM

15. JohninIowa: the "solo" reference comes after a reference to Cornell being most famous for being in a band -- you know, not a solo thing. Here, he's performing solo. And what was the point of that bit of snark, even if you weren't wrong?

Posted by: Chris | Feb 19, 2012 1:50:36 AM

16. This is the first time I've ever listened to this song all of the way through. Of course I've heard it countless times, but always tuned it out... and I really enjoy Dolly Parton.

Posted by: DC | Feb 19, 2012 5:07:49 AM

17. Could a dude be more hot than Christopher John [Boyle] Cornell? The guy just exudes hotness.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 19, 2012 9:57:12 AM

18. I always though Soundgarden was way over-rated, but this is really a fine and touching tribute to both Whitney, who I never particularly liked despite her incredible voice, and Dolly, who is one of the greatest songwriters alive.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Feb 19, 2012 11:33:50 AM

19. Along with his recent standing up to a homophobe, Chris Cornell has really earned points in my book.

Posted by: Rick S | Feb 20, 2012 9:03:33 AM