Comments

1. vwdavy says

i don’t think that man could be any more perfect than he just showed us all to be. classy guy, a voice that soars to the celestial bodies, and activism that helps us and future generations.

now if he’d only swear off women, get david grohl to do the same, and both move in to my flat and date me.

a guy can dream.

2. Jwl says

I love his voice. That was a great rendition, and Whitney would appreciate it. Since she didn’t write any of her own music it is appropriate that this is the song she will always be remembered for. Plus a reminder that Dolly is a brilliant song writer.

3. says

Well done Chris! I have to say that that Whitney’s version of “I Will Always Love You” is powerful, it has never been one of my favorites. I grew up on the Dolly Pardon version, and the song was written and performed by Dolly more as a love letter or poem; however, it is a sad good-bye to someone you love. To me it is meant to be a ballad or softer song.
    Never the less, Whitney’s death is a sad thing, and heart goes out to her family

4. sparks says

As tributes go, this was as real and touching as any I’ve seen.

Suddenly I feel an urge to search for Soundgarden on itunes to replace a certain long-lost cassette tape I listened to repeatedly fifteen or so years ago. 😉

5. Devils Advocate says

Sorry, TOO MUCH Whitney coverage.. What in the HELL did she EVER do for the gay community besides use our dancers for her videos?

….anyone?
    I’d really like to hear from Madonna haters

6. Chris says

JohninIowa: the “solo” reference comes after a reference to Cornell being most famous for being in a band — you know, not a solo thing. Here, he’s performing solo. And what was the point of that bit of snark, even if you weren’t wrong?

7. DC says

This is the first time I’ve ever listened to this song all of the way through. Of course I’ve heard it countless times, but always tuned it out… and I really enjoy Dolly Parton.

8. MichaelJ says

I always though Soundgarden was way over-rated, but this is really a fine and touching tribute to both Whitney, who I never particularly liked despite her incredible voice, and Dolly, who is one of the greatest songwriters alive.