Houston | Texas

Conservative Talk Radio Host Michael Berry Was Definitely At That Gay Bar In Houston ...

Berry... and we know this because the establishment's security footage has finally been released to the public.

As Andy reported: Michael Berry, a Republican, former city councilman, and syndicated radio talk show host famous for thinking murderous thoughts about those of his fellow citizens who happen to be Muslims, has been accused of perpetrating a hit-and-run outside of T.C.'s Show Bar in the Montrose gayberhood of Houston on January 31st, 2011. Berry allegedly reversed some 70 feet in a Chevy Tahoe, slammed into the car of a bouncer named Tuderia Bennett, who happened to be standing right outside the bar, and sped away. Witnesses confirmed the hit and run, and Bennett says he got a clear look at the perp before he drove off, as well as a good reading of the vehicle's license plate. When traced, the plate number turned out to be Berry's.

From Raw Story:

Berry, a former Republican city councilman, suggested on his radio show on Thursday that he had been framed by his “enemies.”

“I’ve always said when you do what I do, the way I do it, you make enemies,” he said. “When you poke your finger in as many people’s eye as I do every day, you make enemies,” adding that they will “will accuse you of most anything.”

Now, a man who looks very much like Berry can be seen by all on footage from T.C.'s security cam, which was posted yesterday by KHOU 11. With the tape, the witnesses, and the license plate number, Houston police have more evidence than is usually brought to bear on hit and run cases. Nevertheless, they've so far declined to launch a full investigation of Mr. Berry. Bennett suggests this is because of Berry's connections in local government.

For the record: There was a drag show in progress during Berry's visit to T.C.'s Show Bar, and while it's odd to catch a professional right-winger in such environs, Berry's presence is not necessarily indicative of hypocrisy. Berry celebrates at least one drag queen on his website, which features a page devoted to the comedic stylings of Shirley Q. Liquor.

Anyway -- watch KHOU 11's coverage, as well as the uncovered security footage, AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. There are always two sides of a story. As soon as I can come up with mine, I'll get back to ya.

Posted by: Dale | Feb 18, 2012 11:13:20 AM

2. So he celebrates the fact that he's a jerk every day? That must be a wonderful life. Add the hypocrisy and lies, and he should be a great person to spend time with. I would really love to spend time with a self-loathing queer in Houston. Sounds like a real hoot.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 18, 2012 11:25:10 AM

3. I'm glad this is getting more news coverage. Try wriggling out of this one.

Posted by: sylvatica | Feb 18, 2012 11:30:13 AM

4. LOGO is probably trying to convince this scumbag to move to Dallas and join The A-List as we speak.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Feb 18, 2012 11:35:54 AM

5. Well, who doesn't love Shirley Q. Liquor?

Posted by: Max | Feb 18, 2012 11:39:50 AM

6. Charles Knipp's racist drag routine -- Shirley Q. Liquor -- is offensive. I'm not surprised that this conservative, Michael Berry, appears to enjoy them.

Posted by: I don't love Shirley | Feb 18, 2012 11:52:05 AM

7. "when you do what I do, the way I do it, you make enemies,”

Well, apparently you're not doing it correctly.

Why didn't the idiot just stop? His insurance rates may have gone up, but I would think it would have stopped there.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Feb 18, 2012 11:55:17 AM

8. Hey I Don't Love Shirley, congratulations! You are morally superior because you are offended. Hooray!

Posted by: Max | Feb 18, 2012 12:04:09 PM

9. Never heard of Shirley Q. Liquor but after investigating for 20 minutes or so it does sound like racist unfunny drag. Sad to see statements from RuPaul that she is a fan and supporter. I guess Shirley Q. Liquor is popular on Bourbon Street in New Orleans and I'd have to be quite tanked to enjoy it. But I've been there and in that state anything is possible.

Posted by: MarkUs | Feb 18, 2012 12:09:06 PM

10. You asked a question, Max, you got an answer. Lots of people dislike Shirley Q. Liquor and they don't like it because it's a racist routine.

Posted by: I don't love Shirley | Feb 18, 2012 12:12:48 PM

11. It's so perfect that he loves Shirley Q. Liquor, an LCD racist "comic".

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Feb 18, 2012 12:14:15 PM

12. Getting back on subject for a minute—it appears that both his Facebook fan page and his show's Twitter feed have both been taken down.

Posted by: Aaron | Feb 18, 2012 12:22:27 PM

13. And he's the newest listing on GayHomophobe.com now.

Posted by: Abel | Feb 18, 2012 12:28:50 PM

14. Glad to see my brothers and sisters here share the same understanding of nuance.

Shirley Q Liquor? Of course this fool likes Shirley Q Liquor. Shirley Q Liquor is the performer of choice for gay racists. Duh.

Oh, and this man is a disgusting, cowardly little twerp.

yet one more right-wing homosexual man who proves that The Gay Right have capers for testes.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 18, 2012 12:35:58 PM

15. Looks like GOProud's found itself a new President.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 18, 2012 12:37:21 PM

16. I just love the fact that he's gonna lie his way through this. That's gonna make this soo much more interesting.

Posted by: MKe | Feb 18, 2012 12:57:40 PM

17. So is this Berry guy gay or not?

Is he homophobic as well as racist?

Posted by: Steve | Feb 18, 2012 1:07:32 PM

18. Capers for testes - I may have to steal that.

Posted by: TJ | Feb 18, 2012 1:15:25 PM

19. It is a well-kept secret in radio that many if not most of the rightwing shock jocks are not even really conservative at all. In fact, many of them just took on this persona because of the good ratings.

Posted by: Rance | Feb 18, 2012 1:26:59 PM

20. He was doing "research," right?

Posted by: Hunter | Feb 18, 2012 1:47:54 PM

21. He did not leave with a prostitute. He was probably there to score drugs, which is why it was better for him to drive off.

Posted by: butternutsquash | Feb 18, 2012 1:52:04 PM

22. The hit-and-run crime here was not particularly major because there were no injuries. Prosecutions normally don't occur for mere property damage and Berry should be taken to small claims court to settle the $1800 damage claim.

The main revelation is the possible hypocrisy of Berry. The only way this gets resolved is if he's been spotted at other gay hangouts over the years or had a lover or something. Is he a jerk on many levels? No doubt.

Posted by: anon | Feb 18, 2012 1:56:34 PM

23. All he needs to do is kiss Kurt and it's an episode of Glee!

Posted by: Tom Stoppard | Feb 18, 2012 2:09:32 PM

24. I posted this in another thread but everyone needs to understand this: TC's, formerly Cousins, does have drag shows but it is also, and primarily, a hustler bar. Montrose is filled is street hustlers--it's very Midnight Cowboy. And this is their local headquarters--everyone in the neighborhood knows that.

There may have been a drag show going on while he was there but I'm sure that he was much more interested in another kind of talent.

Posted by: wm | Feb 18, 2012 2:10:15 PM