Indiana Lawmaker Apologizes for Homophobic Attack on ‘Radicalized’ Girl Scouts Because He’s Getting Bad Publicity

Indiana Rep. Bob Morris (R – Fort Wayne) did not realize that his homophobic, transphobic, anti-feminist letter to fellow lawmakers attacking the "radicalized pro-abortion" Girl Scouts might draw attention beyong the Hoosier legislative sphere, including a mocking skit from Conan O'Brien.

MorrisHe has now issued a statement apologizing and saying "It is my sincere hope that this statement will end the publicity with regard to my letter."

Says Morris in the statement:

I apologize to the Girl Scouts of Indiana and all of the girls and parents of Indiana who are participating in and running their Girl Scout organizations in a way that promotes leadership, community involvement and family values. I certainly should not have painted the entire Girl Scouts organization with such a wide brush.

As I have mentioned, the letter was intended for only my colleagues in the Statehouse. That is not an excuse for the breadth of my letter – rather, it is the reason for the lack of research and evidence it contained. I was merely attempting to express my reasons for not signing the House Resolution honoring the Girl Scouts and challenging my colleagues to think about the issue. I assure you that on matters of state policy and law making my research is extensive. Too, had I known this letter would have gone to a wider audience, I would have cited further evidence for my position.

In hindsight, I never should have written the letter. However, I still would not sign the Resolution honoring the Girl Scouts – not because of any local troops or even the Girl Scouts of Indiana, but because of the Girl Scouts of the United States of America (Girl Scouts USA) and its policies. My conscience would not allow me to publicly endorse an organization that partners with Planned Parenthood – our State’s leading abortion provider. My family and I view abortion as the biggest evil of our time. And as Blessed Pope John Paul II said in his Encyclical Letter Evangelium Vitae, “every person sincerely open to truth and goodness can, by the light of reason and the hidden action of grace, come to recognize in the natural law written in the heart (cf. Rom 2:14-15) the sacred value of human life from its very beginning until its end, and can affirm the right of every human being to have this primary good respected to the highest degree.” I hope that my stance will help to spread the Gospel of life. Perhaps it will cause the Girl Scouts USA to reconsider its policies.

Read his original letter here.

(via shakesville)

Comments

1. uffda says

Mr. Morris you’re apology is accepted by this reader with the proviso that you seriously attempt to understand, and accept, that neither the national nor the world majority is Catholic. We don’t really care what any Pope has to say. It’s not relevant to most of us and in fact we dont particularly like it. It is your right to believe anythng you want and our right to disagree, often strongly. Although your sincerity is unmistakable to me it has no bearing on the argument. Can you hear that? Please try.

2. aj says

Perhaps as much thought should have gone into the thought process that enabled him to write such a bigoted, homophobic and sexist letter in the first place…., as he put into writing the apology Letter and as a previous poster stated, “SHUT THE F*CK UP” ASSHAT!!!!

3. pParkerT says

“not intended to be a factual statement”

or

I don’t have a problem lying to my fellow legislators if it serves my own short sighted bigoted views; I’m not afraid to beat up little girls if it’ll put them in their place.

4. Chad says

This isn’t an apology. It’s “quit picking on me…even though I’m right…and I wish I had known others would read this so I could have gone even further in proving how right I am”.

5. aj says

PS…. this idiot is a catholic, married 12 yrs and has SIX Kids, i guess we know what he thinks of WOMEN!!!! BABY MAKING MACHINES PREGNANT AND IN THE KITCHEN……i mean good lord, 12 yrs of marriage one kid every 24 months, so that’s 9 months of carrying a fetus, a few months to heal, then BOOM another one!!!

6. Rin says

This is weird timing. I just got off the phone with GSA council after discussing this issue.

I made the statement that I don’t care about lesbian scout leaders or transgender children because I believe in a spirit of inclusiveness, not exclusiveness.

I do not, however, appreciate local chapters partnering with Planned Parenthood as it falls outside the mission and charter of the Girl Scouts and creates divisiveness where it is unnecessary. Women are split on the issue of abortion. We are not split on whether or not to use an A-formation of kindling when making a campfire, nor are we up in arms over Tagalongs versus Thin Mints.

I don’t believe that sex education is in the charter of the Girl Scouts and I certainly don’t wish to keep reminding little girls that their whole reason for existence should be the chasing of boys and sexual reproduction as current “role models” and celebrities tend to do. :(

We are humans first. Childhood is short enough without having to rush sexuality. It’s not as though they don’t have other outlets for sexual education, either. The public schools teach sex ed in health class, an appropriate venue.

And…lastly…what of the transgender girls who wish to be around other girls, typing rope knots, making macaroni necklaces, etc. Should they be reminded during Girl Scouts that they’re not going to ovulate? That they won’t have periods? Should they not have a safe haven with which to forget about that and just play with other girls? What of lesbian girls? There are a lot of them in scouting. Do they need to hear about the unintended consequences of inserting penises in vaginas? Do they even care?

Just let the little girls camp and tell ghost stories.

7. QJ201 says

Has serious case of Log Cabin Gay Face.

And…not all his constituents are Catholics and don’t care what the pope has to say about anything. In fact, many evangelicals are opening distrustful of the pope of rome. Remember the KKK targeted Blacks, Jews, Catholics and Queers.

8. johnny says

Ft. Wayne is extremely ethnic and Catholic (read: Irish/Italian) and therefore this guy has nothing to worry about as far as getting voted out of his safe little haven in our Red State. It’s the same area that recently put a complete end to any city arts funding as well. Typical Repuglican place. He just got caught with some dried Santorum on his face, is all and now he’s embarrassed.

9. Jeffrey in St. Louis says

@AJ: yeah, it sounds like my parents, except they pumped theirs out at 19 and 15 month intervals. But they stopped at 5.

10. Pointed says

Apology is a cop-out. He is just trying to shift to anti-humane stance he has to the GS of America. He is expecting the GSofA to adopt discriminatory policies, which is absolutely typical of the current crop of republican “leaders”. I applaud GSofA in the inclusiveness and fairness to ALL human beings. Further attempts to legislate morality…..but whose morality? Why the “Christian’s” morality – that is to denigrate everyone who is not a member of their cult. This is the definition of bigotry pure and simple.

11. Disgusted American says

Hey dude – your eyebrows are a HUGE EVIL…….ewww they’re ugly, do something about them.

12. Leroy Laflamme says

That photo was creepy first time around. It’s even creepier now. The guy was an a$$hat first time around. He’s even a$$hattier now. Agree with Glenn – NOT an apology. Not an apology’s a$$. And ‘Blessed’ Pope John Paul? Oh, give me strength!

13. Rin says

Oh stop, I’m not trolling. I actually believe what I’m saying. Trolling would be: Lesbians shouldn’t be scoutmasters….for the sole purpose of giggling to myself as people flew into an uproar. I’ve trolled websites. It’s fun. Once, I went on IMDB to the Golden Compass Board and wrote: The Golden Compass is a religious sham! IMDB is great for trolling. I also went onto the Fox News site and pretended to agree with this one conservative in his argument with a liberal and then just after he “patted me on the back” I mentioned aliens.

Ahhhh, the good old days.

Unfortunately, I’m not trolling this one or I would have a lot more fun with Rick. In fact…I would have tons of fun with Rick (only cuz I love him)…I just am not sure that trolling is very nice and I do try to live up to the image my children have of me.

Its a hot topic button with me because I’m a mother of girls. When you are a parent to minor girls in the age of the Kardassians, you’ll understand. I have this kids need to be kids thing.

People don’t always fit in narrow lines in their beliefs. I can, for example, feel that gays and lesbians should be allowed to marry and not believe that promoting sex ed to 8 year olds is a good thing.

It was this website that made me do my investigating because I swore up and down that the girl scouts don’t do this stuff. I found out different and I took a position. Just as you have a dog in the GLBT marriage fight, I have a dog in the hypersexualization of young girls fight.

IF you don’t believe me…go to the Target website and look at the clothing for 8 year old girls versus 8 year old boys.

14. Hollywood, CA says

Ooohhhhh… “now” you want people to stop talking about it, right? “It is my sincere hope that this statement will end the publicity with regard to my letter.” – Yeah, I don’t fcking think so, PIG!

15. Justin says

It’s a sad commentary on America when any elected official in the year 2012 thinks it’s his duty to “spread the gospel” and conform public policy to the dogma of his religion.

16. jack says

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER accept the apologies of these TALIBAN LITE right wing bigots. They don’t mean them. He is just regrouping and trying to figure out how he can hurt us without getting hurt himself. That is what cowards do. They throw a sucker punch and then run away to avoid being hurt themselves.

17. TJ says

Exactly how is RIN a troll? I’m confused.

I don’t know that I’d think sexually explicit instruction would be appropriate for eight year-olds, but I can’t see the harm in age-appropriate information being shared. And for older girls, where more questions might be asked in a friend-centered environment, it might be a very good idea indeed. I don’t know that I count on schools to be very sex-education friendly these days. Too many right-wing religious types on school boards pushing abstinence-only programs. Add in the “don’t say gay” types, and you have institutionalized ignorance. But then again, I don’t know what actually is being done in girl scout groups these days. Maybe RIN is more aware of specifics.

18. Phil says

Wow, just looked at the American Heritage Girls’ website – how messed up. Here’s part of their statement of faith:

“An AHG member is called to live a life of holiness, being pure of heart, mind, word and deed, reserving sexual activity for the sanctity of marriage; marriage being a lifelong commitment before God between a man and a woman.”

Pretty sick to make your little girl embrace your right wing political/religious hate agenda in order to have some friends.

19. uffda says

TJ – RIN is a troll because Ehrenstein says so. Haven’t you figured that out yet? Otherwise she’s just another minority sane blogger on this total drama site.

20. TJ says

Hey UFFDA, how’s it hangin’ ?

Total drama site – well, yeah, sometimes. And DAVID often has good points. But RIN seems quite thoughtful, even if I don’t always agree. In this case I really don’t see how anything she wrote smacks of “troll.” and that’s just one of the problems with the Internet. Either you completely agree, or you’re a troll. The great potential of the Internet for learning gets lost.

And then there’s RICK (sorry, couldn’t help myself).

21. MKe says

So.. he either needs to start using Just For Men, or stop using Just For Men. Because something’s not right there.

22. james says

The content of his letter and his non-apology apology aside, that an elected official would imagine he could issue a written statement that would not become public is the real indication of his poor thinking skills.

You are an elected official, sir. Everything you say, do, or write is subject to public scrutiny. If you can’t stand the attention, leave office.

23. uffda says

TJ I like you. You say sensible things and try to be nice more often than I. This place is such a free-for-all that I just try to keep laughing through the pepper spray. There are many poignant things here though and I am often touched, which is the fullest reason why I return. Also, I like snotty guys and love throwing it back. Did you note the gay guy last week who wrote, “too many bitches here, I’m going back to my str8t friends.” If I weren’t so tantalized by shooting my mouth off that’s what I’d do too. As for RICK, he DOES say some sensible things but it’s as an irritant that he’s most valuable. I love the way he drives KIWI crazy. In short this site is priceless.

24. ThomT says

What a freakin’ jackass. Basically he said “I won’t do the job I was elected to do and honor my pledge to do so because the Pope told me not to”. Personally I hope the people of Indiana are smart enough to see through this disingenuous and half hearted apology. Guess I gotta make a donation to Planned Parenthood in honor of Rep.Bob Morris.

25. Gregv says

Ron: Don’t ever assume there is an ounce of truth to something just because some obviously-bigoted bonehead said it.
    Both organizations’ (Planned Parenthood and Girl Scouts) of Indiana, as well as every credible news source that has commented, has said that there is NO such partnership between them.

26. TJ says

UFFDA – not that you’ll ever read this (okay, maybe), but something to think about: The irritating grain of sand can lead to a pearl of great value. But often, it produces lumps of limited use. RICK inspires the choir to preach, for sure. But how many read and say, Oh, I thought that. Maybe I should re-think? There is value in the beautiful pearl. The idealist in me lingers on the limited-use lumps. What sort of pearls could they become? And is this the best growth medium?

27. scooternva says

So basically, the moment that his hate rhetoric goes viral he suddenly lacks the courage of his convictions?

Spineless coward.

28. RexT says

Well, Morris, you’ve tossed your integrity as an elected legislator out the window. Your choice of religion is fine, and yours to make. Your religion as a template for legislation is not fine. You should consider working in a church or for a church, but our government does not need or want you.