2012 Election | Gay Marriage | Maryland | News

Maryland GOP Delegate Makes Surprise Switch, Says He'll Vote 'Yes' on Marriage Equality

In what is a still uncertain yet expected to be close vote, the Maryland House of Delegates is set to begin debate on a marriage equality bill later this afternoon. The timing of the vote is unknown.

Earlier today, Delegate Wade Kach, who was a 'no' vote as recently as last weekend, says he has changed his mind, the Baltimore Sun reports.

KachDel. Wade Kach's statement:

Over the span of my career in the Maryland General Assembly, I have worked hard to take thoughtful, considered positions on laws that affect the rights and liberties of our friends and neighbors. My constituents sent me to Annapolis to represent them and use my best judgment. They did not send me to sit in judgment of the lives of others."

As a proud member of the party of Lincoln, I believe that we as legislators should be more concerned with relieving the tax burden of families than telling them how to behave in their own homes. Like so many others, my thoughts on the issue of civil marriage have evolved over the course of recent months as a result of much reflection and listening to good people on both sides of this issue. Instrumental to my decision are the enhanced protections for churches, clergy, and faith leaders in my community and in communities around the state."

While no one event or conversation prompted me to come to this decision, I was significantly moved by the testimony of families -- who are raising children in a loving environment and deserve every right to enjoy the same protections and responsibilities that our laws provide for others."

Tomorrow I will cast my green vote with great confidence that this bill protects religious freedom and that the issue will ultimately be decided by the voters of our state."

Kach is the second GOP delegate to back the marriage equality bill.

Comments

1. Thank you delegate Kach! Hopefully this will get more to come foreward.

Posted by: Stefan | Feb 16, 2012 1:07:56 PM

2. I just wish Chris Christie would have a similar change of heart. Conservatives SHOULD be in favor of better protections for loving families.

It seems as though we're rapidly reaching a national tipping point on this issue. Those who oppose marriage equality are increasingly looking like they have no rational arguments at all.

Posted by: joe | Feb 16, 2012 1:13:14 PM

3. I think he's actually the third.. he's the second to change his position this time around..

Posted by: Derek | Feb 16, 2012 1:24:13 PM

4. NOM will end up spending all their money on "You're Fired" billboards at this point. Bravo, Mr. Kach - someone who says he supports the family and backs it up!

Posted by: kpo5 | Feb 16, 2012 1:25:38 PM

5. If this bill passes in Maryland, it will be largely because of the Governor and the Democrats in the legislature -- but also only because there were a few courageous Republicans like Mr. Kach. Everyone should read his statement about why he will vote for same-sex marriage -- it is a simple affirmation of what TRUE Republicans should stand for. So, PLEASE, let's stop lumping all Republicans together as anti-gay -- yes, the party is largely anti-gay, but there are some loving, understanding, courageous people like Mr. Kach who can make a difference (and remember, those types of courageous Republicans made a difference in New York and in Washington State). Thank you (and I am NOT a Republican).

Posted by: MiddleoftheRoader | Feb 16, 2012 1:31:59 PM

6. Unfortunately, Delegate Sam Arora is still on the fence...just like last time.

Posted by: DCBadger | Feb 16, 2012 3:46:25 PM

7. Let us remember that the Tea Baggers and the christian right are NOT conservatives; they are pseudo-conservatives. They do NOT want to preserve our historic freedoms and constitution; they want to turn the USA into a theocratic plutocracy.

I hope Mr. Kach's decision and vote accelerate the Republicans' return to working strenuously for the best interests of THE WHOLE american people, rather than continuing the divide-and-conquer strategies of Rove and Cheney.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Feb 16, 2012 4:52:01 PM