2012 Election | Crime | Gay Marriage | Judi Dench | Mitt Romney | Mormon | Science | Space

BigGayDeal.com

NEWS: Judi Dench, Incest, Kevin Costner, Mitt

Dench
Road Dame Judi Dench battles enroaching blindness:

She confessed: “I can’t read scripts any more because of the trouble with my eyes.

"And so somebody comes in and reads them to me, like telling me a story.

"It’s usually my daughter or my agent or a friend and actually I like that, because I sit there and imagine the story in my mind."

... "The most distressing thing is in a restaurant in the evening I can’t see the person I’m having dinner with.

“Actually, what I miss are people corpsing on stage.

"I know there might be something going on but sometimes I can’t see it and that infuriates me as I think I’m really missing out on something.”

Road A second man has been arrested for the beating of Brandon White:

MoragneDorian Moragne turned himself in to Atlanta police custody late Friday afternoon with his attorney close by. According to police, he will be charged with robbery and aggravated assault.

... Moragne, 19, is one of three men police have been seeking in the beating of Brandon White, since video footage of the Feb. 4 incident appeared on the internet.

His surrender makes him the second suspect in police custody. Christopher Cain, 19, was arrested on Feb. 11. Cain, who was being held in the Fulton County jail, is charged with aggravated assault, participation in a criminal street gang, robbery by force and burglary.

Police are still seeking a third man who has not been identified.

Road At Slate, Dear Prudence dispenses good, sane advice to incestuous gay brothers, and good, strong ammunition to slipperyslopers.

Road On Hail Mary candidates and Mitt's impending Michigan disaster.

Road On Frank Vandersloot, the skeezy billionaire and Mormon extremist who's one of Mitt Romney's biggest backers:

Anyone who is the national finance co-chair of Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign deserves probing, substantial scrutiny. That’s equally true of someone who continues to use their vast wealth to influence the outcome of our elections and our most inflammatory political debates. And it’s certainly true of someone who has made it a regular practice of threatening journalists, bloggers and activists who shine light on his political and business practices.

Road If you've ever wondered about exploding pits of pig poop, read this.

Road "Without Betty Dodson, America would be a lot less good at masturbating." Not that she thinks we're very good at it anyway.

Road It's time to clean up our space junk.

Road Dlisted covered Whitney's funeral:

We're coming up on hour three of Whitney Houston's "Going Home" memorial and I don't know how my eyelids are still able to open after sitting through Kevin Costner talking for 35 million minutes about himself, himself, himself, himself, Jesus, himself, himself and how he himself put Whitney in The Bodyguard when nobody else wanted her in it. Oh, and he talked about himself and how Whitney is auditioning before God now (or something like that). The dozens of people taking a nap with their eyes open should've been the choir's cue to sing Kevin off the stage, because DAMN. Dances with Woofs was shorter than Kevin's speech.

Road Someone somewhere will find a way to blame this on the gays. From the Times:

After steadily rising for five decades, the share of children born to unmarried women has crossed a threshold: more than half of births to American women under 30 occur outside marriage.

... Among mothers of all ages, a majority — 59 percent in 2009 — are married when they have children. But the surge of births outside marriage among younger women — nearly two-thirds of children in the United States are born to mothers under 30 — is both a symbol of the transforming family and a hint of coming generational change.

One group still largely resists the trend: college graduates, who overwhelmingly marry before having children. That is turning family structure into a new class divide, with the economic and social rewards of marriage increasingly reserved for people with the most education.

“Marriage has become a luxury good,” said Frank Furstenberg, a sociologist at the University of Pennsylvania.

Comments

1. The incestuous gay brothers - now that's quite a story with truth being stranger than fiction, and nothing the matter with it at all. I'd just love a lot more detail, and to follow this story. We can't have their pictures or real names of course but if they were to post their story somewhere on a regular basis I would be a compulsive fan and feel that I would learn something profoundly, perhaps uniquely, human.

Posted by: uffda | Feb 19, 2012 1:53:26 AM

2. Love seeing Romney rejected. Number one he's a narcissist and number two he has a record longer than any other US candidate of taking whatever position will get him elected that particular day.

Posted by: MarkUs | Feb 19, 2012 2:18:34 AM

3. What exactly WAS the highlight of Whitney's funeral? I started watching it, left for some work, got home watched some more, left for grocery shopping, got home watched some more, took a nap, woke up and it was finishing up. It had to have clocked in longer than the Super Bowl.

Posted by: MarkUs | Feb 19, 2012 2:54:09 AM

4. Is there anything that isn't televised in the US, what with funerals and murder trials, isn't it a bit ridiculous?

Posted by: Sean | Feb 19, 2012 3:09:05 AM

5. Judi Dench is the finest actor today.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 19, 2012 6:07:59 AM

6. The quotation from Dlisted made me laugh out loud. I cannot stand Costner.

And I love Dench and feel awful for her. Never seen the term "corpsing on stage."

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 19, 2012 7:28:28 AM

7. I've never been a fan of Kevin Costner, I always thought he was pompous and self absorbed. But I heard his eulogy on Gawker, and I was really touched. I think it was refreshing to hear him address the issue of race in a funeral in a really comfortable way, and the insecurities that dog so many famous people throughout their lives. I didn't find it difficult to get through at all.

And I I may say so on a homosex-ualist blog, he is really holding it together, looks-wise, for a blonde of a certain age. Give it a look. I'm glad I didn't have to sit through the whole funeral, but I only hope to have such an articulate voice and mind sending me off the mortal coil.

Posted by: Patrick lehman | Feb 19, 2012 8:30:51 AM

8. My condolences for Dame Judy. I can't imagine being blind. I'd give up my hands before I'd give up my eyes.

Posted by: Jeff K. | Feb 19, 2012 8:54:56 AM

9. I thought Kevin's tribute at Whitney's funeral was a highlight of the service, it was funny, sad and moving.

Posted by: RobWest | Feb 19, 2012 8:56:19 AM

10. Of course some of those women (lesbians) would be married when they had their children if they were allowed to.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Feb 19, 2012 9:02:54 AM

11. I was also someone who appreciated Costner's eulogy and thought it struck a perfect tone. It was well received by the friends and family and were the kind of stories I hear at black and military funerals all the time, where eulogies are often told through anecdotes about the person and the deceased. I am not quite sure why people have to snark at someone's funeral...its a FUNERAL, not a concert, or an awards show, or a n event. Speeches are hastily put together, songs aren't rehearsed, and the attendees dress to respect, not impress, hopefully. It was televised, because there was public interest (networks could choose to pick it up or not), but only AFTER the family asked for plans for a celebrity filled public memorial to be canceled. People may hate Oprah, or find Dionne Warwick "creepy," or Alicia Keyes "sounding bad," or find Kevin Costner unappealing, but at Whitney Houston's funeral, all that matters is that Whitney and her family love them. There's a time for everything, and I love me some snarky live blogging and reviews, but not for funerals. I think they should be left alone as long as intentions are basically good.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Feb 19, 2012 9:23:42 AM

12. "Judi Dench is the finest actor today."

I'd add Maggie Smith to that list. The two together in "A Room With A View" was a joy. Dame Judy recounting her younger racy past and Dame Maggie gasping "Oh, Eleanor!"

Posted by: MarkUs | Feb 19, 2012 10:36:53 AM

13. The gay twins should be able to craft a workable story, something akin to a "Boston marriage," that will satisfy their relatives without entirely blowing their cover.

Posted by: Bard | Feb 19, 2012 11:02:50 AM

14. Also Helen Mirren and Emma Thompson and Frances de la Tour. Funny they're all British...

Posted by: Bard | Feb 19, 2012 11:06:40 AM

15. It should be no surprise to anyone that marriage has become a luxury good. It is doled out so sparingly and only to those outside the dole. BTAIM, the stats are true. Both Greg and I have college degrees and did so prior to marriage. We turned to a early-twenties surrogate to carry our son thus she would be counted as one of the 40% of women under 30 having children. She has promised to carry our second child and is of generous heart to do so.

I love Judi Dench. And its true, most great actresses are of British descent. I bawled my eyes out when Audrey Hepburn passed away and still miss her to this day. I hope we have many more years of greatness from Dame Judith.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Feb 19, 2012 11:25:43 AM

16. The Twin Brothers: I love Prudi's advice as it is quite rational. I grew up with a set of gay identical twins, both actors, who were known as a sexual couple. Believe they are still together today and their personalities compliment each other. It just seems natural that they would have a special bond, one that you or I wouldn't have with a non-twin brother. And these are fraternal gay twins so they probably appear to many as a normal gay couple. Family be damned - and the advice on what to tell them was spot on.

BTW, I have five (str8) brothers and a (gay) sister and have never had a desire for an incestuous relationship with any of them. My brothers often spend more time with my husband and our son then they do with me. And I'm good with that.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Feb 19, 2012 11:41:13 AM

17. How sad for Judi Dench :( Of all the senses, I would think losing my sight would be the most horrible. Spectacular actress.

Posted by: daws | Feb 19, 2012 12:17:56 PM

18. OS2GUY-thanks for the Twin Brothers info. So such things happen. Love it. Then I read your own remarkable love story. I hope it's true but it was good as fiction too.

Posted by: uffda | Feb 19, 2012 12:26:22 PM

19. Re: the twins...wow. I think after gay marriage is legalized, gay brothers and sisters will want their relationship validated by having the right to marry...just as the Right has predicted. Right now marriage between a sister and a brother is illegal mainly because of chances that their children will have health problems, but that issue doesn't get in the way of two brothers or two sisters. They're two adults in love, who's to tell them that their relationship is not valid?

Posted by: deanmoore | Feb 19, 2012 12:45:06 PM

20. Well, I hate to be "that guy," but I wasn't really thrilled with the incest story. You can argue all you want that incest is only wrong when it's straight because of DNA/whatever, but I'm of the mind that incest, whether it's straight or gay and whether it's between consensual adults, is wrong. I have to draw the moral line somewhere. And honestly, it's stories like this that are giving NOM, Santorum, and other hate groups enormous fuel for their fire.

A college professor was fired for having a consensual incestuous relationship with his daughter -- is that a valid relationship too? I felt that relationship was wrong and I feel like the relationship between the two brothers is wrong, too. I just feel that if I'm going to deem straight incest as something that shouldn't happen, then all incest shouldn't happen.

And I get the fantasy of having a twin brother that you can do it with, but there's a big difference between fantasy and reality, in my opinion.

Just my two cents . . .

Posted by: finkles2000 | Feb 19, 2012 12:46:21 PM

21. Finklezoo wrote:

"Well, I hate to be "that guy," but I wasn't really thrilled with the incest story. You can argue all you want that incest is only wrong when it's straight because of DNA/whatever, but I'm of the mind that incest, whether it's straight or gay and whether it's between consensual adults, is wrong. I have to draw the moral line somewhere."

And yet you don't give any reason other than your personal feeling that you think it's "icky."

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Feb 19, 2012 12:54:50 PM

22. I guess I can see the appeal (although I don't think I'd partake) of growing up with an identical twin brother and experimenting. But fraternal twins? And then falling in love? I can understand experimenting, but the idea of making out with your brother...I mean...gosh, what a strange story. My gut reaction is that something happened to them when growing up that required them to be THAT dependent on each other and closed off from the outside realm of love. But, see, that's what the homophobes say about all of us, too. Yikes.

Posted by: Robert | Feb 19, 2012 1:08:16 PM

23. Apologies if this is a double-post, but the system suspiciously ate my last one.

So, if this were a story about a father/daughter, mother/son, brother/sister, you'd be okay with that?

I can't do anything else but be a jerk (there's some fodder for you) and play the morality card. Just as I believe that marriage between two un-related, consenting adults, regardless of gender or sexual orientation should have the right to get married, I believe that two related adults, regardless of consent, gender, or sexual orientation, should not enter into an incestuous relationship. I can't say that it's fine for two brothers, but not fine for a mother and son.

And yes, I am well aware of the irony that I am invoking an argument that the anti-gay marriage movement invokes, but this is not the same situation. And I'll say that I'm not trying to offend anyone, that it's just my belief system, but again -- same argument invoked by those who are homophobes but insist they aren't homophobes. Irony. I get it.

I won't comment further, because the cheese apparently stands alone when it comes to incest, and I'd just get berated instead of fostering a dialogue. Such is the internet.

Posted by: finkles2000 | Feb 19, 2012 1:29:28 PM

24. Re: the twins and incest, so called.

I can see the issue of sex between a male and female brother / sister being a problem.....from the genetic view.
    I cannot see any such problems as between brothers.
    What's the issue ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 19, 2012 1:45:16 PM

25. o_o I am frankly shocked. That was actually good advice.

Finkle, I think the primary concern where parent/child relationships are concerned is that there's a power dynamic there that calls into question the quality of the child's consent. With two brothers who are the same age, that dynamic of age-related power doesn't exist (though I'm not saying there is no power dynamic between them, because I don't know them). You said you 'had to draw a moral line somewhere' and I'm wondering why the moral line is drawn around DNA rather than around consent?

Posted by: Sonneillon | Feb 19, 2012 1:49:02 PM