2012 Election | Colorado | Minnesota | Missouri | Mitt Romney | News | Rick Santorum

Rick Santorum Wins Colorado, Minnesota, and Missouri

R_santorum

Rick Santorum made last night a very bad night for Mitt Romney in the race to be the GOP's presidential nominee, as Santorum took Missouri, Minnesota, and, unexpectedly, Colorado.

The NYT:

The results on Tuesday shook the political world, which appeared to once again make the mistake of believing the Republican race for the presidency was finally set on a stable trajectory. But it was an open question whether the defeats were a momentary embarrassment or a prolonged setback for Mr. Romney.

His disappointing night notwithstanding, Mr. Romney goes into the next round of primaries and caucuses much better financed than his opponents in what will be much more of a nationwide campaign, capped off by the 11 Super Tuesday competitions on March 6. But the enthusiasm in the race is no longer his alone; his front-runner’s label appears to have lost its shine.

Politico adds:

Colorado GOP Chairman Ryan Call announced just after 1 a.m. that Rick Santorum won the Colorado caucuses, giving him victories across the board in tonight's contests.

Unofficial vote counts Santorum with just over 40 percent, Mitt Romney at 35 percent, Newt Gingrich at 13 percent and Ron Paul at just under 12 percent, according to numbers reported by CNN.

The results are a big surprise -- Santorum was expected to do well in Minnesota and Missouri, but Romney's team has a strong organization in Colorado and he was widely expected to pull through there. Romney, who won Colorado with 60 percent of the vote in 2008, even held his election-night party in Denver, while Santorum opted to celebrate in Missouri.

Watch Santorum's speech last night, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I don't know whether to think this is great (as it may split the party and weaken them vote-wise)

or

if it's just plain scary (due to imagining him sitting in the white house and draconian fall-out that would result.)

Posted by: johnny | Feb 8, 2012 7:21:26 AM

2. It's hard to imagine living in a country where people are so ignorant as to support a person like this. What is happening to the USA, where ignorance is so prevalent?

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 8, 2012 7:36:52 AM

3. There is no way that any GOP candidate can win. And I know that people say this all the time, but if any of them do, I'm moving abroad. I don't have an iota of respect for any of them.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 8, 2012 7:43:44 AM

4. At this rate, Michelle Bachman could jump back in the race and be the frontrunner next week.

The Republican party is splintered. Obama doesn't even need to campaign.

Posted by: endo | Feb 8, 2012 8:13:42 AM

5. Nobody likes Santorum. Or Gingrich. The Republican base just hates Romney.

Posted by: MarkUs | Feb 8, 2012 8:38:40 AM

6. LOL
    Love it when mitt gets a black eye
    I wonder what a gay republican would do on election night if Rick was on the ticket??
    Ricks not going to get the nod, it's mitt
    We need to work on defeating him, and we can

Posted by: George M | Feb 8, 2012 9:12:59 AM

7. I disagree Paul, a GOP president is a possibility. I certainly hope not, but when you act like its a forgone conclusion you are just inviting people to be complacent and stay at home on election day. There is a lot of work to be done once these tools finally choose a Lead Tool. I know several republicans that don't even care who they nominate because they are voting R no matter what. Theyd find a way to make Hitler seem acceptable.

Posted by: JWL | Feb 8, 2012 9:39:34 AM

8. Fly-over states, every one of them. Not saying we can rest on our laurels, just putting things into perspective.

Posted by: WJP3 | Feb 8, 2012 9:54:08 AM

9. Hey Frothy, the only thing you've succeeded at is making yourself the new flavor of the month as well a target for the attacks yet to come. Your days of having slipped under the radar are over. The vetting process is about to begin. Your free ride is now going to become very expensive and very bumpy. Strap in cause it's game on!

Posted by: mytwocents | Feb 8, 2012 10:31:31 AM

10. "It's hard to imagine living in a country where people are so ignorant as to support a person like this. What is happening to the USA, where ignorance is so prevalent?"

I couldn't agree more about Romney, Jack, but, hey, he lost, so yesterday was an especially great day.

"Fly-over states, every one of them." Um, WJP3, not only are Minnesota and Colorado both beautiful states and you're missing out if you choose to simply fly over them (unlike a lot of other states in the middle) but both are very important in Presidential elections, unlike states like California and New York, where the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

Posted by: Patric | Feb 8, 2012 10:40:21 AM

11. I've been telling every fellow Republican I see today (and that's not many as I live in NYC) "May the froth be with you!." Naturally I wouldn't greet any Towleroad readers this way for fear of Potassium cyanide somehow spewing out of my computer terminal. But truthfully, I'm so happy today I could attend a gay wedding and hug the happy handsome grooms!

On a serious note, it may not be possible for Santorum to overtake Romney. For some reason Romney has this air of inevitability surrounding him - and a lot of money to buy TV commercials. Much depends on how badly the Republican base wants to avoid a Romney nomination - and whether or not "Frothy" can avoid a major blooper that would send him down the Michelle Bachmann road.

The next few weeks should be interesting.

Posted by: Mary | Feb 8, 2012 11:14:54 AM

12. I have already promised some US friends that they can come and live in my modest country home ( over looking the ocean!! ) if by any perversion that creepy guy were to get elected.

But "Obama -v- Frothy" would be the final showdown between backward looking bigotry and advancing a fantastic liberal agenda of equality, funded scientific research and more economic fairness.
    Future appointments to SCOTUS is of course, the most important reason for keeping the fascists out of office permanently.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 8, 2012 11:55:21 AM

13. Well, Mary, I'm very happy for you and I admire you for posting here. Needless to say, you're in the minority here, but it never hurts too hear from the loyal opposition. But I am curious as to why a woman (unless you're over 70) would be exultant over the victories of a man who, if elected, would take away control of your health, your uturus and your right to chose even in cases of rape and incest according to the religious dictates of what can only be described as his extreme beliefs. And in a country that enjoys separation of curch and state. Perhaps you've come here for no other reason than to mock us. Or perhaps you're an idiot. I sincerely hope neither if thise are true and that you're here because you desire honest discourse. But He's made it plain that he's running on two things: religious extremism and bigotry. So why so happy? Please thrill us with your political acumen.

Posted by: Tim Tondreault | Feb 8, 2012 12:13:46 PM

14. 1000 pardons for the poor grammar and spelling in my previous post but this Starbucks is crowded and my texting skills variable at best. Please forgive.

Posted by: Tim Tondreault | Feb 8, 2012 12:20:09 PM

15. I love watching the GOP eat their own.

Posted by: Modern Meet | Feb 8, 2012 3:00:16 PM

16. Tim, reading is not your friend. Mary is actually on our side.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Feb 8, 2012 3:52:51 PM

17. Santorum looks like Alfred E Neuman who could probably make a better president.

Posted by: jaragon | Feb 8, 2012 5:54:39 PM

18. Tim, I apologize if my post offended you. No, I'm not gloating - just providing some humor. Towleroad readers know that I'm not malicious so I assumed that they'd take what I wrote in context.

I've posted a lot here in the last few months regarding what my views are, but here's a summary: No gay marriage as it could harm society long-term (no matter how beautiful it can appear short-term), people openly gay can remain in the military unless it causes severe recruitment problems or disrupts military life (which we'll know within a few years.), yes to adoption for gay couples, although I'd give straight couples preference (an inequality, I admit.) Equal rights in housing and jobs. Respect for LGBT people as human beings and no ridiculing or taunting of them - we're not in the pre-Stonewall era anymore. All other gay rights issues to be decided on a case by case basis. And if gay marriage ends up in all 50 states (what I believe will happen eventually), both communities - gays and religious straight people - learn to get along and work out an agreement that lets each of them exist peacefully.

As to my age, I'm 50.

Posted by: Mary | Feb 8, 2012 7:14:26 PM

19. SugarrHill

Umm what?
    Mary why did you go to the wedding? I dont get that, you dont believe in it but you went? To support them not their union?
    I guess if that works

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 8, 2012 8:16:34 PM

20. I think he won because of the controversy surrounding the contraception bill and the fact that he is the most pro-life oriented candidate.

Posted by: debt relief | Feb 9, 2012 12:49:33 PM