Barack Obama | Gay Marriage | News | North Carolina

Anti-Gay NC Blogger Quits Over Racist, Homophobic Obama Image

Tara Servatius, the blogger behind the racist, homophobic image used for a post blasting the Obama campaign's opposition to North Carolina's Amendment One that would ban same-sex marriage, has resigned from the John Locke Foundation, the conservative N.C. think tank which published her post, the Charlotte, Observer reports:

ServatiusOn Thursday, Servatius told the Observer in a statement that she didn’t mean to offend with her portrayal of Obama, and that she considers fried chicken not a racial stereotype but a symbol of Southern cuisine.

“I was searching for a picture of the president in drag to illustrate his Southern political strategy of courting young voters, a majority of whom support gay marriage,” Servatius said. “Regrettably, I didn’t think about the racial implications of the picture when I posted it. I simply don’t think in those terms. Unfortunately some people do. To me, fried chicken is simply a Southern cuisine. So the picture seemed perfect to illustrate Obama’s Southern strategy.”

But others found her decision to use the image out-of-bounds – and cause for dismissal if she hadn’t taken the hint and resigned first.

John Hood, president of the John Locke Foundation, which publishes “Meck Deck” on its Charlotte site, called the illustration “utterly inappropriate.” He also assured one Facebook friend that Servatius “is no longer a contributor to our site … I would have made that decision for her, but she beat me to the punch by ending her role.”

Previously...
NC Group Posts Racist Obama Picture in Gay Marriage Criticism [tlrd]

Comments

1. that's the stupidest, most dishonest non-apology excuse we've heard in AGES.

what next, a picture of a black man in slave garb hanging from a noose and she'll say "oh, sorry, i just like thought that was a thing, from like this place called Lynchburg...which I'm sure didn't get its name from anything historical about lynchings..no, i'm like totally not a racist....."

sorry, hun. you are.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 23, 2012 1:16:36 PM

2. LITTLEKIWI +1000

What a load of bull shi* is this.. KFC is jsut southern cooking?!?! please woman.

President Obama grew up in Hawaii for starters.. what a grade a a-hole.

Posted by: MarkG | Mar 23, 2012 1:27:14 PM

3. Imagine that, a THINK TANK ...

Posted by: MalaysianHo | Mar 23, 2012 1:31:56 PM

4. Who does she think she's fooling!!!!!

Posted by: s | Mar 23, 2012 1:33:10 PM

5. What a crock of Santorum this broad is spouting.

Being a white man from the south and living in the south I will state one hundred percent that not one resident or native (black, hispanic, asian, or white) of the south just thinks Fried Chicken is "simply Southern Cuisine" when it is paired to a picture of a black man in chains.

She, her editor, publisher, and webmaster should all be placed on the rails for allowing this to even hit the web.

Posted by: mikenola | Mar 23, 2012 1:33:21 PM

6. She is a horrible human being-
    a dishonest Xtian apologist.
    Another reason to avoid the south as if I needed another-

Posted by: nick | Mar 23, 2012 1:43:18 PM

7. "Think tank"? Sounds more like a toilet tank.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Mar 23, 2012 1:43:42 PM

8. She probably left her office muttering, "watermelon, watermelon, watermelon, I should have gone with the damn watermelon, because he's black, not southern, damn, I knew better."

Maybe next time.

John Locke Foundation? Named after the British philosopher? I didn't know he was an ignorant bigot. Live and learn.

Posted by: No kidding | Mar 23, 2012 1:50:34 PM

9. hahahaha fun pic of Obama..

Posted by: Leo juegos de vestir | Mar 23, 2012 1:55:02 PM

10. As they say in the South, when they are being too polite to state the obvious, "Well, bless her heart".

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 23, 2012 2:00:25 PM

11. Not to put too fine a point of this, but here’s Ms. Tara speaking before The League of the South, which the Southern Poverty Law Center describes as “a neo-Confederate group that advocates for a second secession and a society dominated by an Anglo-Celtic elite.”

Posted by: Carlie | Mar 23, 2012 2:02:27 PM

12. She can BS her friends, and I'll BS mine.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 23, 2012 2:03:09 PM

13. "Ha Ha Ha..." posted by Leo Juegos De Vestir"

Hey Moron: change your name: "Leo Juegos Con Verdad!"

Damn, republicanism is an illness.

Posted by: Mic | Mar 23, 2012 2:03:33 PM

14. Note too though that she only addresses the racism in her post and not the blatant homophobia as well. But, since the genesis of her lousy Photoshop was to denounce the President for his opposition of NC's anti-gay Amendment One, I guess it's not terribly surprising.

Posted by: Erik | Mar 23, 2012 2:17:40 PM

15. She didn't at all adress the homophobia of the pic....AT ALL. Wow. That speaks volumes.

Posted by: Real Talk | Mar 23, 2012 2:28:00 PM

16. am I the only one to think she is light skined with a hair straightner?

I wouldn't be surprised though, southern mixed race people in the past used to overcompensate by being extremely racist themselves to try to hide their own non straight up Caucasian ethnicity

Posted by: say what | Mar 23, 2012 2:29:00 PM

17. She's Latina. You would THINK she'd know better, but as my experiences have proven time and time and time again....those who SHOULD know better often are the ones who don't (and adopt homophobia)

Posted by: Kyle-ATL | Mar 23, 2012 2:29:06 PM

18. I hope you live in an area with zero Black people, Miss Servatius... I can't imagine this going over well.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Mar 23, 2012 2:30:16 PM

19. Why fiddle-dee-dee, sir. What evah do you mean? Why as a WASPy southern woman living in North Carolina, I've nevah in all my days heard of such a thing. Not even at my Jumior League brunch.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Mar 23, 2012 2:30:58 PM

20. The horrible homophobic aspect is something she didn't even touch on.

As a black man, it's infuriating to know what my ancestors went through based on prejudice, and now *I* have to deal with another accepted form of prejudice in society because I'm gay. People ain't even TRYING to cover their a$$es with their homophobic hate these days. What she should have done is started this wack letter with a formal apology to the African American and gay community. Instead she lied to the black community, and couldn't even care less to acknowledge the gay community.

Posted by: Kevin C. | Mar 23, 2012 2:33:49 PM

21. I hear WND is hiring...

Posted by: Tone | Mar 23, 2012 2:51:58 PM

22. Color me stupid, but it looks to me like she photoshopped that picture herself. I don't ever remember seeing that one before.

Posted by: Rev. Verdon Coleman | Mar 23, 2012 3:14:52 PM

23. "I simply don’t think in those terms. Unfortunately some people do."

Yes, it's so unfortunate that other people think about others and try to be sensitive to those around them. How dare we check her white privilege and call her to task for it!

Posted by: Kieran | Mar 23, 2012 3:49:22 PM

24. I love that she says, "to illustrate his Southern policial strategy of courting young voters, A MAJORITY OF WHOM SUPPORT GAY MARRIAGE." (my caps) - she actually admits that a majority of young voters support the right cause - poor thing, she can't open her mouth without the stupid flowing out.

Posted by: Rob | Mar 23, 2012 3:54:57 PM

25. It is possible that she is so STUPID it never occurred to her that putting fried chicken in the picture was racist. I am from North Carolina and it is extremely unlikely that she is unaware that fried chicken is a stereotypical soul food. Unlikely and but not impossible if you are totally stupid or if you were never exposed to society.

Posted by: rayrayj | Mar 23, 2012 4:40:32 PM