Anti-Gay NC Blogger Quits Over Racist, Homophobic Obama Image

Tara Servatius, the blogger behind the racist, homophobic image used for a post blasting the Obama campaign's opposition to North Carolina's Amendment One that would ban same-sex marriage, has resigned from the John Locke Foundation, the conservative N.C. think tank which published her post, the Charlotte, Observer reports:

ServatiusOn Thursday, Servatius told the Observer in a statement that she didn’t mean to offend with her portrayal of Obama, and that she considers fried chicken not a racial stereotype but a symbol of Southern cuisine.

“I was searching for a picture of the president in drag to illustrate his Southern political strategy of courting young voters, a majority of whom support gay marriage,” Servatius said. “Regrettably, I didn’t think about the racial implications of the picture when I posted it. I simply don’t think in those terms. Unfortunately some people do. To me, fried chicken is simply a Southern cuisine. So the picture seemed perfect to illustrate Obama’s Southern strategy.”

But others found her decision to use the image out-of-bounds – and cause for dismissal if she hadn’t taken the hint and resigned first.

John Hood, president of the John Locke Foundation, which publishes “Meck Deck” on its Charlotte site, called the illustration “utterly inappropriate.” He also assured one Facebook friend that Servatius “is no longer a contributor to our site … I would have made that decision for her, but she beat me to the punch by ending her role.”

Previously…
NC Group Posts Racist Obama Picture in Gay Marriage Criticism [tlrd]

Comments

1. says

that’s the stupidest, most dishonest non-apology excuse we’ve heard in AGES.

what next, a picture of a black man in slave garb hanging from a noose and she’ll say “oh, sorry, i just like thought that was a thing, from like this place called Lynchburg…which I’m sure didn’t get its name from anything historical about lynchings..no, i’m like totally not a racist…..”

sorry, hun. you are.

2. MarkG says

LITTLEKIWI +1000

What a load of bull shi* is this.. KFC is jsut southern cooking?!?! please woman.

President Obama grew up in Hawaii for starters.. what a grade a a-hole.

3. mikenola says

What a crock of Santorum this broad is spouting.

Being a white man from the south and living in the south I will state one hundred percent that not one resident or native (black, hispanic, asian, or white) of the south just thinks Fried Chicken is “simply Southern Cuisine” when it is paired to a picture of a black man in chains.

She, her editor, publisher, and webmaster should all be placed on the rails for allowing this to even hit the web.

4. No kidding says

She probably left her office muttering, “watermelon, watermelon, watermelon, I should have gone with the damn watermelon, because he’s black, not southern, damn, I knew better.”

Maybe next time.

John Locke Foundation? Named after the British philosopher? I didn’t know he was an ignorant bigot. Live and learn.

5. Erik says

Note too though that she only addresses the racism in her post and not the blatant homophobia as well. But, since the genesis of her lousy Photoshop was to denounce the President for his opposition of NC’s anti-gay Amendment One, I guess it’s not terribly surprising.

6. say what says

am I the only one to think she is light skined with a hair straightner?

I wouldn’t be surprised though, southern mixed race people in the past used to overcompensate by being extremely racist themselves to try to hide their own non straight up Caucasian ethnicity

7. Kyle-ATL says

She’s Latina. You would THINK she’d know better, but as my experiences have proven time and time and time again….those who SHOULD know better often are the ones who don’t (and adopt homophobia)

8. Beef and Fur says

Why fiddle-dee-dee, sir. What evah do you mean? Why as a WASPy southern woman living in North Carolina, I’ve nevah in all my days heard of such a thing. Not even at my Jumior League brunch.

9. Kevin C. says

The horrible homophobic aspect is something she didn’t even touch on.

As a black man, it’s infuriating to know what my ancestors went through based on prejudice, and now *I* have to deal with another accepted form of prejudice in society because I’m gay. People ain’t even TRYING to cover their a$$es with their homophobic hate these days. What she should have done is started this wack letter with a formal apology to the African American and gay community. Instead she lied to the black community, and couldn’t even care less to acknowledge the gay community.

10. Kieran says

“I simply don’t think in those terms. Unfortunately some people do.”

Yes, it’s so unfortunate that other people think about others and try to be sensitive to those around them. How dare we check her white privilege and call her to task for it!

11. Rob says

I love that she says, “to illustrate his Southern policial strategy of courting young voters, A MAJORITY OF WHOM SUPPORT GAY MARRIAGE.” (my caps) – she actually admits that a majority of young voters support the right cause – poor thing, she can’t open her mouth without the stupid flowing out.

12. rayrayj says

It is possible that she is so STUPID it never occurred to her that putting fried chicken in the picture was racist. I am from North Carolina and it is extremely unlikely that she is unaware that fried chicken is a stereotypical soul food. Unlikely and but not impossible if you are totally stupid or if you were never exposed to society.

13. T.Lives says

It fascinates me that she’s apologizing for the racism and is clearly scared of the backlash she’ll get for the racism while in her apology letter for her racism, gladly and proudly displays MORE homophobia which she is happy to do.

That is the narrative in our society. Any form of prejudice toward ANY other group but gays is shunned. Gay hating? well, thats freedom of speech and has no conseuqences.

14. jaragon says

That is more than just a picture of Obama in drag ( which could be easily photoshoped and be sort of funny) the image she chose is not just racist, homophobic and ugly.

15. james says

You think the problem with that image of the President is the damn fried chicken?! You are a stupid, stupid woman!

If you’re lucky, the Secret Service won’t investigate. If you’re even luckier, KFC won’t sue you for trademark infringement and defamation.

“I didn’t think . . .” and “I simply don’t think . . . ” are the only truthful words in your non-apology.

16. Jim says

Are you kidding me? The actions of these people are a joke! The hatred has become beyond belief, and still it just keeps pouring from Fox News! We must speak out against this incessant hatred!

17. darkmoonman says

“I didn’t think about the racial implications …”

This isn’t because she’s above racism; it’s becuase she’s completely oblivious to the fact that she’s racist. I grew up with this crap in NC and SC, and in 50 years, it hasn’t changed one iota.

18. Stop Hate says

How many times is Tara Servatius going to apologize for being a gay basher and hate monger just to move on to another job where she does the exact same thing ?