2012 Election | Ken Cuccinelli | Virginia

Anti-Gay Virginia AG Ken Cuccinelli Announces Gubernatorial Bid

CuccinelliKen Cuccinelli, the Virginia Attorney General who says gay people aren't protected by the 14th Amendment and cut his state's ties with King & Spalding for the law firm's stance on DOMA, announced today that he plans on running to be the Commonwealth's governor.

"I am running for Governor to continue the work I have undertaken during my tenure as Attorney General and as a State Senator," he said, according to CNN.

"I will continue my work to strengthen our economy, preserve our liberty, and to promote the principles of smaller, more efficient state government, accountable to the people it serves. I look forward to sharing my vision for the Commonwealth following the November elections."

Please don't.

Comments

1. Ken Coochie's got some pouty DSLs, honeyyy.

Posted by: redball | Mar 22, 2012 6:40:54 PM

2. Another Virginia scumbag!

Posted by: Peter | Mar 22, 2012 6:43:53 PM

3. Senator Webb should run for Governor.

Posted by: Matt Munson | Mar 22, 2012 6:49:34 PM

4. Worst person ever?

Posted by: Notkony | Mar 22, 2012 6:51:28 PM

5. another Republican who wants government small enough to fit in your bedroom

Posted by: terry | Mar 22, 2012 7:12:35 PM

6. This guy is bad news, we can Never let him in the white house, you know he wants it. People like him

Posted by: GeorgeM | Mar 22, 2012 7:16:52 PM

7. talk about jumping the gun

Gov race for Va isn't till 2014

Va repubs should be focusing on 2012 with Obama leading by 8% in Va against romney and even if mcdonell (current Va gov) were VP Obama beats romney mcdonell by 7%

Kaine is beating "macaca moment" George Allen by 3%

Posted by: say what | Mar 22, 2012 7:23:20 PM

8. When he says he will work to "preserve our liberty," I think we all know what he means by "our" and it doesn't include us.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Mar 22, 2012 7:33:09 PM

9. I am a Republican, but this guy is a lunatic. Hopefully he loses in the primary to the Lt. Gov. and goes away forever.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Mar 22, 2012 7:39:26 PM

10. ANOTHER SANTORUM TYPE RADICAL RIGHT CATHOLIC, AND ONLY 41 YEARS OLD
    Of course, with the priests being directed by the Vatican this month to read a letter from the pope putting down Marriage Equality, he is in step with the church.

Catholics who are NOT pope-kissers living in 1950 need to speak up, or to stop donating money

Posted by: Bob | Mar 22, 2012 7:55:11 PM

11. Cuchi-Cuchi makes me ashamed to live in the Commonwealth. The only reason he is jumping the gun for 2013 is because VA Governors only serve one term.

I cannot STAND this man.

rant over.

Posted by: Rev. Verdon Coleman | Mar 22, 2012 8:01:44 PM

12. In this country the word "liberty" is as misused as the word "Christian."

Posted by: Bart | Mar 22, 2012 8:14:21 PM

13. Virginia falls further into the back-water arena, gaining on Mississippi. How could any inteligent gay person choose to live there.

Posted by: Trevor | Mar 22, 2012 9:13:38 PM

14. TO THE OWNER OF THIS SITE,
    ARE THERE A-N-Y REPUBLICANS YOU LIKE? AS A FORMER MEMBER OF LOG CABIN, IT SURE IS DIFFICULT FOR ME TO FIND A "FRIENDLY" HOME.
    THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Mar 22, 2012 9:43:39 PM

15. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON, we'd probably like the liberal & ultra-liberal republicans. *probably*....

Posted by: redball | Mar 22, 2012 9:54:46 PM

16. Cuccinelli...ah yes, one of the fine, old families of Virginia. *rolls them eyes*

@ CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON: a former member of Log Cabin? What happened? Just curious.

Posted by: jim | Mar 22, 2012 10:06:50 PM

17. This guy just cannot hold onto a job...

Posted by: BobN | Mar 22, 2012 10:12:44 PM

18. Chris, sadly the VA Republican Party lacks moderates. But I did recommend a viable Democratic Party candidate to challenge Cuccielli.

Posted by: Matt Munson | Mar 22, 2012 10:12:47 PM

19. @CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON
    Did you try www.drudgereport.com, www.redstate.com, www.nationalreview.com, www.anncoulter.com, etc.? What do you expect? Your state of denial is your own. No one owes you the courtesy of joining you there.

Posted by: JJ | Mar 22, 2012 10:39:42 PM

20. Unfortunately, these days, "Gay Republican" is a term suited only to sorry ass queens who either:
    A.. are so stuck in their ways that they cannot see that the present repug party skies rights to their brothers and sisters.
    B....think that being repug will whiten away the stain of their Gayness
    I SPIT IN THE EYE OF ANY GAY PERSON GIVING THEM MONEY... and I was a republican decades ago, when they had smote liberal wing.

Posted by: Bob | Mar 23, 2012 12:44:43 AM

21. I wish Sen. Webb would run. Moderate democrat, former republican, earned his liberal stripes and absolutely no B.S. kind of guy. Sadly, I think he is over elected office and the non-stop butt kissing and fundraising. I am certain its why he is leaving the Senate and why it would be very hard convince him to run for Governor. Just not Terry McAuliffe again. He just didn't have what VA voters were looking for (seen as too liberal) and we need a really strong guy or gal at the top of the ticket. Someone like Webb, if not Webb. Cucinelli is a nightmare. If you think Bob McDonnell was bad for women, wait tp you see this conservative nightmare.

Posted by: LuckyLinden | Mar 23, 2012 1:17:25 AM

22. My gaydar is buzzing like crazy when I see this looser ... Another closet case trying to detract speculation .. So bloody classic

Posted by: MarkBoston | Mar 23, 2012 1:54:58 AM

23. Oh please, this guy is still wearing his college rep tie! He's probably also wearing his class ring...
    Now he just needs a tiara that says LOSER on it.

Posted by: Oliver | Mar 23, 2012 4:30:28 AM

24. WHILE IN COLLEGE DURING THE 1980s, I WAS A MEMBER OF VARIOUS GAY/LESBIAN STUDENT UNIONS IN OKLAHOMA AND ARKANSAS. AT THAT TIME, I HAD NO INTEREST IN POLITICS. HOWEVER, MY FRIENDS WERE INTERESTED IN THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN(HRC). SO, I STARTED RECEIVING THEIR NEWSLETTERS, BUT I COULD NOT RELATE TO THE ISSUES. I WAS RAISED IN AN UPPER-MIDDLE CLASS FAMILY WHICH IS CONSERVATIVE ON SOCIAL ISSUES AND LIBERAL ON FISCAL ISSUES. DURING THE LATE 1980s I BECAME A FAN OF C-SPAN. I VOTED FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 1992 ("H.W."). SINCE I DID NOT LIKE THE MESSAGE OF HRC, I CHECKED OUT LOG CABIN. FOR ABOUT EIGHTEEN MONTHS I MADE MONETARY CONTRIBUTIONS TO LCR; HOWEVER, I REALIZED LCR's AGENDA WAS BASICALLY THE SAME AS HRC. I STOPPED GIVING THEM MONEY. NOW, I REALIZE MY HOMOSEXUALITY SHOULD HAVE NO IMPACT ON THE VALUES I WAS RAISED ON. I LIKE CONSERVATIVE POLITICIANS BECAUSE A LOT OF THEIR VIEWS ARE SIMILAR TO MY FAMILY'S AND MY VIEWS. I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN RURAL MISSISSIPPI. MY RURAL VALUES ARE IMPORTANT TO ME.
    THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Mar 23, 2012 5:02:37 AM

25. "JJ" (22 MARCH),
    WHEN I FIRST VIEWED THIS SITE, THE NEWS STORY ON SCREEN WAS THE "Face to Face" INTERVIEW WITH SENATOR ALAN SIMPSON. WHILE READING THE COMMENTS OF OTHERS, I NOTICED EVERYONE HAD NICE THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THE SENATOR. THEREFORE, I ASSUMED THIS WAS A REPUBLICAN-HOMOSEXUAL SITE. HOWEVER, I QUICKLY FOUND OUT I WAS WRONG. REPUBLICAN HOMOSEXUALS DO EXIST; IN NOVEMBER, WE WILL BE VOTING. IT IS QUITE SAD THERE IS NOT A LOT OF ONLINE AVENUES TO PURSUE. I DID CHECK OUT A BLOG ("Gay Patriot"), YET THE ONLY VIEWS PUT FORTH WERE THOSE OF THE TWO OWNERS.
    THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.