Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Kirk Cameron | Piers Morgan | Religion

Breaking: Kirk Cameron Doesn't Like Gays: VIDEO

Cameron2
It's unclear how Kirk Cameron keeps scoring TV appearances. Cameron, a not-especially-noteworthy star of B-movies who was once worked in a middling sitcom, spends his days running a ministry called "Living Waters" with his guru, a man named Ray Comfort. This ministry has no discernible purpose other than making science-literate people look good in public debates. (Ray Comfort's a creationist, and one of his best "arguments" against evolution goes like this: Mammals reproduce sexually, a process requiring both a male and a female. Therefore, the first, freshly-evolved elephant/hyena/human/whathaveyou wouldn't have anything to mate with. Bet Stephen Jay Gould never thought of that!) For a price, Living Waters dispatches preachers to deliver sermons on demand. It doesn't do much else.

Nevertheless, Cameron was on Piers Morgan last night, saying not-nice things about gays and lesbians. He didn't seem to want to say those things, but Piers goaded him into it. He didn't say them cruelly, and he was emphatic about the primacy of such things as love, respect, and humility in his version of Christendom. But, he conceded, if any of his kids turned up gay, he'd tell them to be ceibate.

GLAADWhereAreTheyNowKirkCameronToday GLAAD is making a big deal about the Cameron interview. They've produced the graphic at right, and have posted a press release to their website, which reads, in part:

“In this interview, Kirk Cameron sounds even more dated than his 1980s TV character,” said Herndon Graddick, Senior Director of Programs at GLAAD. “Cameron is out of step with a growing majority of Americans, particularly people of faith who believe that their gay and lesbian brothers and sisters should be loved and accepted based on their character and not condemned because of their sexual orientation.”

... and so forth. Watch the Cameron clip AFTER THE JUMP. (And take heart: Tonight Piers interviews Penn Jillette, which ought to be a lot less dreary.)

Comments

1. I was asleep on a beautiful Florida beach all afternoon - did I miss anything?
    Oh? Kirk Cameron on Piers Morgan.
    Whew, I was worried something important occurred.
    Enjoy Saturday night date night, kids.

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | Mar 3, 2012 5:26:33 PM

2. My favorite crazy Ray Comfort cameronism is that bananas prove their imaginary deity created humans. Behold:

If that's true, though, then why do we need plantains?

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Mar 3, 2012 5:36:18 PM

3. Aren't we supposed to be more evolved than animals? Why is it that the KKKristian Right keep on bringing up that we need to be just like bunnies and procreate? I think there's a bit more to humans than that.

Posted by: zeddy | Mar 3, 2012 5:43:00 PM

4. I added Kirk Cameron as a friend on Facebook years ago...(I was a huge Growing ains fan in my youth)..he accepted and obviously read my profile and found out I was gay and sent me an email stating I was going to hell and was morally wrong and defriended me

Posted by: Jamie | Mar 3, 2012 5:43:19 PM

5. I don't know how saying homosexuality is detrimental and destructive wasn't meant to be cruel. Not to mention the way he'd approach his child, if he was gay.

Posted by: Sarina | Mar 3, 2012 5:45:50 PM

6. Ahhh. Good ole Kurt.. Does anyone take him seriously? I mean.. really? He tried to say that a banana is proof of the existence of God.. Don't believe me? Check it yourself:

Sad, delusional little man.

Posted by: theotherlee | Mar 3, 2012 6:00:51 PM

7. I don't support GLAAD anymore. They are inconsistent and selective in whom they criticize.

Like I said before, there are tons of movies that use the word "fag" to describe gay men but GLAAD says nothing about it. I think a movie is far more likely to spread homophobia than Kirk Cameron.

GLAAD has lost a lot of credibility by being selective.

Posted by: bruce | Mar 3, 2012 6:05:52 PM

8. Well, I think Kirk is correct about the lifestyles of certain homosexual men. I've seen it with my own eyes: drugs, promiscuous sex, smoking, drinking. It's not a healthy lifestyle.

Don't deny that a large number of gay men on the social scene lead very self-degrading lives that ultimately harm their health. Don't deny it - you know it's true.

Posted by: jason | Mar 3, 2012 6:09:37 PM

9. Eight states now that Maryland has become Marryland. Try to keep up there Piers.

Kirk Cameron is a lost cause but thankfully increasingly irrelevant.

Posted by: Charles Lemos | Mar 3, 2012 6:13:05 PM

10. Jason: and many straight people do the same. What's your point? Do you have one? Do you know the reason that there are higher incidences of problematic issues in our community? It's not inherent to gay people, you idiot. It's because of our society's condemnation of gay people that leads to destructive behavior. So why don't you just STFU. Being gay doesn't mean that someone is inherently disposed to addiction or promiscuity. Your statements imply a false analogy and are offensive.

Posted by: wtf | Mar 3, 2012 6:16:41 PM

11. It is interesting to watch someone intellectually deficient struggle to understand the world and try to make Biblical nonsense conform to reality. If that's all he has to offer no wonder his career died.

His cuteness has evaporated, and with it his audience.

I think the pic grab represents his inner distorted discomfort, so it is quite appropriate. Only a real good photographer can capture that inner quality!

One more thought: He's kind of a mini Rick Santorum.

Posted by: true colors showing | Mar 3, 2012 6:17:52 PM

12. The pic grab of Cameron is evidence of him being possessed by the Holy Ghost he so feverishly worships--Come on people you don't recognize when the imaginary presence in his most esteemed presence?

The ex-Mike Seaver (remember his best friend's name was Boner on that vacuous show he got his 15 mins. from) is resolute in his ignorance. He gleans his beliefs from a historical piece of fiction.

Posted by: nick | Mar 3, 2012 6:23:18 PM

13. Little Kiwi >> You are incorrect. There was no coin flip. Leonardo Dicaprio actually has talent.

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Mar 3, 2012 6:23:45 PM

14. STUFFED ANIMAL:

Thanks for reading. You asked:

"What the f*ck do you mean . . . he didn't make anti-Gay statements 'cruelly'???!!"

Simply this. Every Bible-believing Christian is obligated to disapprove of homosexuality, as well as (arguably) shellfish eating, mixed-fabric wearing, and all kinds of other things. They may express their disapproval politely or rudely. Fred Phelps does the latter; Kirk Cameron, on his better days, does the former.

I should point out -- Kirk didn't appear on the show in the hopes of talking about LGBT folk. He wanted to talk about something else, and Piers dragged the conversation sexwards over Cameron's protestations. When someone is a homophobe, as Cameron is, then I appreciate it when they make some effort to keep shut their mouths, however salutatory. It is a step in the right direction, and I dare dream of a day when they'll be too embarrassed to speak publicly about their weird ideas at all.

- BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorpp | Mar 3, 2012 6:37:23 PM

15. I can't muster the energy to care about what this person says. As for Morgan, he seems to be an amoral horse's behind and just asks these questions for ratings.

Posted by: Rance | Mar 3, 2012 6:39:55 PM

16. Jason, not all of us are as miserable as you.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Mar 3, 2012 6:44:24 PM

17. @Brandon

Your statement that we are "obligated" is not true. This is a theological disagreement among various Christians and not a "set" notion on the part of everyone claiming to love Jesus.

I am not "Jewish". I do not ascribe to 663 laws. I am a follower of the teachings of Jesus as stated in the Gospels, meaning I have 2, count 'em 2, commandments: Love God and love my neighbor. According to the teachings of Jesus in the Gospels these are the only real commandments and the rest were given by Moses because people were hard-hearted.

Many protestants seem to be uncomfortable with both the Gospels and the words of Jesus as contained therein, and choose to embrace both the Hebrew Bible (selectively) and the epistles.

He is not obligated as a Christian to be mean anymore than a Jew or Muslim is obligated to stone you or execute you--less so, as those laws ARE there in their faith and there is nothing even remotely close in the words ascribed to Jesus.

Posted by: Rin | Mar 3, 2012 6:50:35 PM

18. Piers Morgan and CNN must also take the blame for giving this nobody a platform. Morgan is in exile here in the states lest he be more closely investigated in the UK hacking scandal (Yes, I know he claims he "knew nothing", but the Murdoch slime Rupert and Jamesie, have the same excuse). Morgan is barely more tolerable than the over the hill (self-described so don't scream prejudice)"Brooklyn Jew" he replaced.

Posted by: Contrarian | Mar 3, 2012 7:06:28 PM

19. Ha

the co-star he had fired posted o her my page (per wiki)

“ He thinks if I read science books that I'm going to hell. [I would] rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints ... the sinners are much more fun. And a lot more interesting than some book-burner who is still having growing pains. I am at peace with God. Kirk thinks people like me are going to Hell, if I do then at least I'll go well informed and well read."

LOL

Anyway; the whole nbanana thing is hillarious

The idiot doesn't knwo that wild bananas exist and are inedible full of seeds, small, practically tasteless..........the banana we eat is domesticated from thousands of years of humans purposefully breeding for certain traits they found they enjoyed in bananas thus larger in size, sweeter, with very small edible seeds

bananas do not prove creationism....they proove if anything human ingenuity and agricultural husbandry

Posted by: say what | Mar 3, 2012 7:12:50 PM

20. I had the distinct displeasure of meeting Kirk years ago. He is trash. He likes to think that he is a kind, open-minded, and respectful person, but that couldn't be further from the truth. The moment he thinks you won't be able to hear him, he launches into a litany of insults against you.

Then, when you call him on this, he offers a condescending non-apology (for me and mine it was "I'm sorry I said those things, but remember that you are in fact going to Hell.")

An absolute waste of space.

Posted by: OddBet | Mar 3, 2012 7:13:04 PM

21. Jason/Bruce: Using multiple troll identities isn't a healthy lifestyle either. It's sad and pointless, as are your out-of-touch-with-reality views of the "homosexual lifestyle" that you've seen with your own eyes. (As opposed to seeing it with someone else's eyes?)

Kirk Cameron's views are as obsolete as his career.

Posted by: Ernie | Mar 3, 2012 7:18:23 PM

22. If you're looking for Kirk Cameron you can find him in Griffith Park!

Yes, like all foaming-at-the-mouth homophobes HE'S A CLOSET QUEEN!!!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 3, 2012 7:28:00 PM

23. Ooh the old and graying" Stepford boy" always thougt of him that way!

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Mar 3, 2012 7:30:51 PM

24. The photo accompanying this post is perfect for Cameron. He wrongly believes evolution consists of cross-species mating giving rise to new species. As a result, one of his "proofs" against evolution is wondering why there are no crocoducks.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Mar 3, 2012 7:48:49 PM

25. I haven't read any of this closely yet, but it looks like another good fight. Please let's not forget that that is what a whole lot of us enjoy most here. It's the only group of gay men I know and I think it's a hoot. I'll be back in a little to help straighten everything out... or maybe I'll send KIWI to do it. Or just wait until he does it.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 3, 2012 7:49:46 PM