Gay Marriage | Kirk Cameron | News

BigGayDeal.com

Kirk Cameron Lashes Out at Piers Morgan, Says He Loves Gays: VIDEO

Kirk_cameron

Kirk Cameron is speaking out about the media "bonfire" he accuses Piers Morgan of lighting by highlighting his remarks on same-sex marriage.

Cameron tells FOX & Friends:

"I don't change my feeling about the comments. What disheartens me (is that Piers Morgan took) "some answers, reduce[d] an important and personal and sensitive issue to a four-second sound bite and toss[ed] it into a community to start a political bonfire. [To] really upset people you're saying you're looking to protect...is disingenuous."

Today_cameronCameron also talks to Ann Curry on Today:

Nobody should mistreat anybody. Homosexuals should not be mistreated. Heterosexuals should not be mistreated. Bisexuals should not be mistreated...[My views] are informed by my faith. I've found that to be a compass for me... I was surprised that people were surprised by the things that I said.

Watch both clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Cameron speaks similarly to Ramin Setoodeh at Daily Beast:

"When my friend who came to me and said you’re the first person I’m telling this to, I’ve known you for 10 years, I’m gay. I could tell how difficult it was. It’s personal. It’s sensitive. It’s difficult. He was nervous what my reaction would be. I said, 'Dude, you know me. I love you. There’s nothing you could ever tell me that would make me not love you and care about you.' If Piers had asked me that: what do you think about homosexuals? What do you think about the gay community?"

On what he'd do if his son was gay:

"It does grieve me to think there are people misunderstanding my heart on an issue. If my kids came to me and said I’m gay, I’d say, 'Son, I love you.' That’s never at stake. Never, never, never at stake. We’ll talk and we’ll go through life together and we’ll work through our thoughts and feelings and we’ll come to what’s healthy. You’ll make your decisions and I’ll make mine."

When Setoodeh asks about gay marriage, Cameron's publicist butts in: "I don’t mean to interrupt. I think we’ve gone enough into it. The gay marriage, I just want to stay away from it. It’s just so polarizing."

Today Show:

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. Christians have an entirely different and very strange definition of "love". Remember these are the same sociopaths who will gleefully tell you that you will be tortured for eternity, but then profess their "love" for you.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 20, 2012 11:16:37 AM

2. I'm sick of this intellectually dishonest B.S.

"we'll come to what's healthy..."

yeah. right. like telling him to try ex-gay counseling and insisting his gay child be celibate for life, eh?

this is a man who believes that all non-Christians go to Hell when they die. asking his thoughts on Gays is therefore redundant.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 20, 2012 11:18:38 AM

3. Wow, brilliant come back strategy for a 90’s kid star has been. Must have a sharp new agent. Today Show appearance WAY better publicity for a comeback then some cable where are they now special. Self righteous piety = $$...go for it Kirt, Burt whatever your name is (never saw his old show myself, no idea who he was till now).

Posted by: NE Rich | Mar 20, 2012 11:39:00 AM

4. Urghhhh

just go away kirk

just go away!

Posted by: say what | Mar 20, 2012 11:42:43 AM

5. Why does it take half a dozen network just today. To prove that this oh so intellectual thinker as absolutely NO intellect! You must admit he does have quit a forehead... just nothing behind it!

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Mar 20, 2012 11:52:32 AM

6. Kirk'S OWN words, "I think it's unnatural. I think it's detrimental and ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization." AND HE WAS SURPRISED THAT PEOPLE WERE 'SURPRISED BY THE THINGS HE SAID'?!? Tell me, Kirk, what part of those comments do I misunderstand about heart on THAT issue? A S S !

Posted by: Jeff R. | Mar 20, 2012 11:54:52 AM

7. I'm sure Kirk Cameron "loves" Gay people in the same way he "loves" murderers and child molesters. Unfortunately he's so blinded by his own personal interpretation of Scripture that he's incapable of making good value judgments about loving Gay couples.

Posted by: Chuck Anziulewicz | Mar 20, 2012 11:57:53 AM

8. "The gay marriage, I just want to stay away from it. It’s just so polarizing."

It's not the gay marriage that's so polarizing. It's the prejudice that is.

Posted by: Zsa Zsa Gabor | Mar 20, 2012 11:58:18 AM

9. I think this is an apt paraphrase of Mr. Cameron:

"I love gays but, you know, marriage is a special thing for us straight "godly" people."

What a moron...

Posted by: The Polar Beast | Mar 20, 2012 12:01:56 PM

10. Why is he still in the news??

Side note is the daily beast a conservitive blog?

Posted by: GeorgeM | Mar 20, 2012 12:02:02 PM

11. why doesn't this bigoted hater just go away?critize he says all kinds of hateful things then cries when people criticize him. his 15 minutes of fame is over.

Posted by: walter | Mar 20, 2012 12:03:59 PM

12. Kirk Cameron "loves" his Gay friends in the worst way. A lyric from an old They Might Be Giants song springs to mind:

Out from the kitchen to the bedroom to the hallway
    Your friend apologizes, he could see it my way
    He let the contents of the bottle do the thinking
    Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding

This is where the party ends
    I can't stand here listening to you
    And your racist friend
    I know politics bore you
    But I feel like a hypocrite talking to you
    And your racist friend

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Mar 20, 2012 12:09:31 PM

13. "My views are informed by my faith."

Don't give a rat's ass where you get your bigotry from ... it's still bigotry.

Posted by: JONES | Mar 20, 2012 12:09:39 PM

14. Oh yes, sure you love and we all believe you. Let's come together and celebrate this.

Posted by: Matt26 | Mar 20, 2012 12:13:55 PM

15. Jeeze! Finally we know the identity of the mysterious "supportive gay friend" that Kirk mentioned to Piers Morgan. It's Raimin Setoodeh. Who else could it be? They're perfect for each other.

Posted by: Keppler | Mar 20, 2012 12:16:57 PM

16. we love you too, kirk. we just don't believe that as a christianist, you deserve the special right of marriage or protection from discrimination

Posted by: t | Mar 20, 2012 12:19:56 PM

17. You know the moviemaking maxim "A tree is a tree -- shot it in Griffioth Park."

Same with Kirk Cameron.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 20, 2012 12:28:11 PM

18. It would satisfy me if just one of Kirk's "gay friends" who support him would speak up. Just. one.

Posted by: Nino | Mar 20, 2012 12:40:26 PM

19. Are these his "gay friends" at Griffith Park?

Posted by: sylvatica | Mar 20, 2012 12:48:20 PM

20. Kirk is an embarrassment at this point, and he's too stupid to realize that the media is basically taking advantage of the fact he won't shut-up. He's still in the news because he has a big mouth, seeks fame, is desperate for approval, and the media KNOW that what Kirk Cameron will say is going to attract attention and headlines. People respond with shock, awe and laughs at Kirk and he doesn't get that he's the butt of the joke. It's *almost* funny if it weren't so pathetic. He's suffering from foot in mouth disease.

I, too, would love to hear what his gay friends have to say about Mr. Cameron's feelings towards homosexuality. Surprising it's been weeks now since the Pierce Morgan interview, and still no response from the many gay friends of Kirk Cameron.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 20, 2012 12:52:57 PM

21. Kirk has an imaginary friend who happens to be gay.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 20, 2012 12:57:08 PM

22. Using controversy to to sell his wares. Do you think he would have an interview about his low budget Christian film on the Today Show if he hadn't made bigoted comments? Pathetic.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 20, 2012 1:12:14 PM

23. Can we all agree that this guy's fifteen minutes are up?

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 20, 2012 1:15:07 PM

24. The nonsense about his "journey" and finding this secret map behind Plymouth Rock and his coyness as to what these "clues" to running our country are- it's all just shameless promotion of his movie. And he's clearly upset that Piers diverted that promotion by calling him out in what Sarah Palin would probably call a "gotcha" moment. Isn't this a pattern? These people get upset when someone tries to knock them off their talking points.

Maybe he'll have a breakdown and run around naked in San Diego soon.

Posted by: brent | Mar 20, 2012 1:23:21 PM

25. Didn't Ms. Curry blow chunks during that clip?
    I'm watching my chocolate chip cookie breakfast drip through my keypad as I type this.

Posted by: Paul B. | Mar 20, 2012 2:51:04 PM