Film | Johnny Depp | News

BigGayDeal.com

Dark Shadows, the Trailer: VIDEO

Darkshadows

Dark Shadows returns, through the eyes of Tim Burton, with Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins in an adaptation of the late 60's, early 70's TV series.

Watch the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Blocked, thanks to Time Warner who obviously doesn't want anyone to see the movie.

Posted by: zeddy | Mar 15, 2012 10:55:40 PM

2. TONTO!!!!

Posted by: CB | Mar 15, 2012 11:08:53 PM

3. What a genius publicity decision.

Posted by: Mellotron | Mar 15, 2012 11:09:32 PM

4. Warner, what are you thinking? Idiots.

Posted by: leprechaunvict | Mar 15, 2012 11:33:06 PM

5. Here's the imdb link instead.

Posted by: TL | Mar 15, 2012 11:41:39 PM

6. I found it easily enough with a quick Google. It looks absolutely awful. It was painful to watch, should go straight to DVD.

Posted by: dearcomrade | Mar 15, 2012 11:43:53 PM

7. My evil step-mother watched Dark Shadows when I was a youngster. This one looks like a fun, campy romp, but then I'm a Tim Burton/Johnny Depp fan.

Posted by: jsb | Mar 15, 2012 11:52:39 PM

8. It does look like it could be fun and campy. Hopefully it will be just that, and not lame like Burton's Alice in Wonderland was. AiW had some lovely bits but mostly seemed phoned in.

Posted by: leprechaunvict | Mar 16, 2012 12:22:50 AM

9. Eh, I think doing it as a rip-van-winkleish comedy spin on an old TV show is the kind of thing that was cute 15 years ago maybe. It really looks lame and lazy to me, at least from the trailer.

And that trailer told a good chunk of the story, so I'm pretty sure I got the vibe of the picture ... and I'm not liking it.

When's the last time Tim Burton made a good movie anyway??

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 16, 2012 12:53:27 AM

10. I'm not a Tim Burton fan, but this actually looks like it might be fun.

Posted by: Geoff MG | Mar 16, 2012 1:01:49 AM

11. I agree. Tim Burton is no good. And Johnny Depp is over-rated. This will either be hysterical or it will be awful. I like that it takes place in the 70s though. Could be fun.

Posted by: AJ | Mar 16, 2012 1:02:21 AM

12. Ugh, another formula Tim Burton / Depp deal. Over rated and predictable....

Posted by: DBClark | Mar 16, 2012 2:00:18 AM

13. Absolutely horrible. Dear God, why? Why couldn't they have done a modern Gothic version?

Posted by: Tarc | Mar 16, 2012 2:13:09 AM

14. I haven't seen the series, but the movie looks fun.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 16, 2012 2:42:40 AM

15. Another one of Tim Burton's stupid pointless family movies. Pretty scenery and nothing vaguely original plus he can't tell a story to save his little cartoonist's ass. He is definitely one of the most banal and forgettable people working in Hollywood: suburbanite Goth for the mainstream and the immature. For someone who pretends to like the Gothic, you'd think he could managed a few chills once in awhile. He's Robert Smith on the outside but he's Disney goo right down to his core: the average PIXAR film has a thousand times more heart, thrills, sadness, fear and maturity than Burton's shallow nonsense. And Johnny Depp is SO over-rated. PARTICULARLY in Burton's films. Close your eyes: it's just more Captain Jack. Plus, it's going straight 70's camp, with no respect for actual creepiness or Gothic atmosphere: just a load of lava lamps and stupid fish-out-of-water jokes about horses and little people in the television. And seriously: T-Rex?

Posted by: Steerpike | Mar 16, 2012 2:53:56 AM

16. Ther are two jokes in this trailer, both of which I have heard a thousand times before. Standard fish-out-of-water cack with an Addams Family rehash.

Posted by: Steerpike | Mar 16, 2012 2:55:38 AM

17. @Steerpike

Loved "He's Robert Smith on the outside but he's Disney goo right down to his core". You nailed the banality of so much of Burton's work.

Posted by: MIke | Mar 16, 2012 3:40:35 AM

18. Why anyone would waste $ on a Johny Depp film is beyond me

Posted by: Kevin Thor | Mar 16, 2012 4:56:17 AM

19. The preview is on YouTube.

Depp is doing Jonathan Frid's accent. That's a hysterical.

Dark Shadows was all about high camp and god awful acting. This looks to be actually funny.

Looked up Jonathan Frid he's still alive.

Posted by: jeffg166 | Mar 16, 2012 6:23:56 AM

20. I digress, but... LOL, whatever happened to opinions being just that?

When did everybody get so damn arrogant and full of themselves, so believing their own facebook pages and trumped-up bios that they so easily accept their opinions as empirical facts? It's one thing to say "not my cup of tea," and quite another to hot-brand anything as trash, a p.o.s. or other, ripping into the work of artists, writers, etc. Somehow, everyone's come to feel qualified to criticize with impunity, and it's really poor form.

Of course everyone's entitled to their opinion, but there's a genuine and dangerous arrogance in banging out edicts in less than a hundred and forty characters, when and if you lose sight of the fact that, hey, it is just an opinion. It's like we're becoming a race of mean, hate-spewing fanboys. But the real danger is in not being able to take pause and realize it. There's just a very big difference between saying something IS a piece of sht, and saying I THINK its a piece of sht.

I guess its a commentary on the need to develop and nurture self-awareness, and to recognize the damage being done by our own hyper-jumping through, and spitballing at, the world around us.

Anyway, I think the movie looks like a lot of fun, and I'm definitely a die-hard fan of the original series, may it rest in peace.

Posted by: Al | Mar 16, 2012 6:36:14 AM

21. al, couldnt agree more.

was thinking yesterday about how incredibly coarse society has become.

the media? the internet? overpopulation? being raised by indulgent or mostly absent baby boomers?

Posted by: t | Mar 16, 2012 7:10:22 AM

22. What a bunch of crap! This movie deserves a stake through its heart.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 16, 2012 7:24:45 AM

23. So Depp is wearing theater make-up again. Boooorrrrrriiiiinnnnnnnggggggg.

Posted by: jason | Mar 16, 2012 7:58:30 AM

24. Oh no! I was hoping for a gothic thriller and it looks like its going to be a goofy camp-fest. I fear this may be more like Burton's lame "revisioning" of PLANET OF THE APES than any of his original creations like EDWARD SCISSORHANDS. On the plus-side, some of the original cast members do have cameos in the film--including Jonathan Frid, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Lara Parker and David Selby.

Posted by: kevin | Mar 16, 2012 8:02:58 AM

25. I thought they stopped making Austin Power movies. Guess I was wrong....

Posted by: Protogenes | Mar 16, 2012 8:03:09 AM