Donald Trump | Gay Marriage | News

Donald Trump Jr.: Pro-Equality, Pro-Choice, Pro-Hunting, Calls His Father a 'Sell Out'

Donald Trump Jr., who recently made headlines because of some sick photos that turned up of him posing with dead African wildlife that he had shot, talks to The Six Pack podcast about same-sex marriage, abortion, his father, and hunting.

TrumpjrTrump Jr. tries to explain why he unnecessarily kills African game and other animals:

"I'm kind of a closet redneck. I shoot competitively, I'm an avid fly fisherman, big time hunter, bow hunter, rifle hunter, so I do all of that. That surprises a lot of people. I sort of end up in some redneck circles every once in a while. And I mean that in the positive sense of the word."

Trump Jr. calls Rick Santorum "a freakin joke" but thinks his father is just a "sell out":

"In terms of my fathers political views.. in the grand scheme of things there's other things he'd be concerned about first, given the state of the world and our economy... I think part of it, and perhaps the shame of being a conservative, is you almost have to have those kind of stances to win any kind of primary. And then you have to sell out and become a moderate in the middle just like you have to do if you're on the liberal side of the political spectrum.."

He's for marriage equality:

"I'm totally for it. One of my best friends growing up was gay. it's never been an issue for me. I think there was a time in my life, probably in college, that I wished every guy was gay because it meant more woman for me! I don't know what everyones problem with it is, I wish everyone was gay! That's always the way I thought about it. I have no issue with it. If I have to suffer through marriage why shouldn't they?"

And pro-choice:

"Honestly for me, abortion, I don't get it. I don't even understand how it's a political issue. I don't understand how there is one issue for voters for that. I don't understand how you can tell someone what they can or can't do. And I'm sort of the same way with [gay marriage]. I just can't buy into the abortion argument. I wish the Republicans would drop it as part of their platform.."

Trump Jr. also says his father and George Takei had their same-sex marriage summit ("I know they did it, I saw them filming it. It happened this week in our board room.") but doesn't say what came of it.

Listen to the Six Pack podcast HERE.

Comments

1. Poor guy, he's not only got his father's name, but even at his young age, appears to have his father's hair.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Good to see he's progressed on social issues, gives hope.

Posted by: jim | Mar 14, 2012 2:03:18 PM

2. I guess we need all kinds on our side -- even the douchebags.

Posted by: Gregoire | Mar 14, 2012 2:16:22 PM

3. Watch what you say, Sonny Boy, Daddy might take away your allowance. He's neither a redneck nor a liberal, just a spoiled one percenter.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 14, 2012 2:21:43 PM

4. Sorry, but he's not a closet redneck. All the money in the world can't hide that fact. And let me just say, rednecks, the ones who don't wear 3-piece suits, are my favorite kind of guys.

2ndly, he is 100% straight because real straight men ALWAYS have the attitude of "good, more women for me" when it comes to gay men. It's only the guys who can't deal with their own queerness that make such an issue out of it.

Like all real straight men, the thought of two men having sex never crosses his mind unless he's asked about the issue. Other men, who love to proclaim their homophobia, think about gay sex more than we do.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 14, 2012 2:31:47 PM

5. Wow - the comments are all pretty harsh. Thanks for the support!

Posted by: Alex | Mar 14, 2012 2:32:35 PM

6. Damn, I was prepared to dislike him because of the big game hunting but am loving him for the pro-equality, pro-choice, "my father sold out politically" stance he has. I love how his attitude towards gay men is "More women for me!". I wish all straight men thought like that and stopped obsessing about our sex lives. Hooray for Donald Jrs' pro-equality attitude (Boo though for the big game hunting though).

Posted by: KP | Mar 14, 2012 2:50:37 PM

7. while i'm sure it happened in the generations before my own, there's a growing reality of young gay men and straight men not only finding common ground for friendships as guys, but how gay and straight friendships can be wholly beneficial.

straight girls - you want to date a guy that has gay friends. straight guys with gay friends will be good fathers if you're looking for Husband Material. A straight guy with gay friends is a comfortable and secure straight guy, an A+.

i can't be the only guy who brought his straight buddies to the gay bars or clubs with him. and my straight friends LOVE coming to pride. not only is their bountiful female eye-candy on display, there's also a lot of straight girls. truly - Pride is a straight man's paradise!

having a gay friend is the best move a straight guy can make if he wants to snag the girl of his dreams.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 14, 2012 2:59:00 PM

8. He should remember that quite a few big game hunters end up being the prey. It's not quite as one-sided as many think.

Posted by: Perry | Mar 14, 2012 3:04:52 PM

9. Whatever his politics..the fact he has a love for firearms & enjoys killing animals as a sport ticks him off of my list.
    What is this obsession human beings have with guns??

Posted by: John | Mar 14, 2012 3:11:40 PM

10. I'm with you, John.

i do remain frankly stunned that our society will condemn someone for a leaked sextape or nude photo, yet people posing with and glorifying the use of guns get a free pass.

gunculture leads to tens of thousands of deaths in this country every year.

so far, i'm not seeing any deaths from exposure to sexy penises.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 14, 2012 3:20:27 PM

11. @John:

Oh yea, anyone who shoots competitively is just SUCH a jerk, right? I don't hunt, but I shoot competitive pistol. I hope you share the same disdain for those who enjoy archery.

Posted by: Jack | Mar 14, 2012 4:27:36 PM

12. While not directed at me, I'll start having disdain for archery when the USA starts to have a "Shot By An Arrow" problem to match its gun-violence problem.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 14, 2012 4:42:36 PM

13. www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/14/gunman-opens-fire-outside-texas-courthouse-ahead-of-sexual-assault-trial/

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 14, 2012 4:46:24 PM

14. Kiwi, guns are a tool that are sometimes used by those who are ALREADY predisposed to causing harm to others. People don't all of a sudden become violent because they get a gun.

If you want to live in a country without guns, go to England, or even Canada. Oh, but before you go, let me remind you that their violent crime rates are WORSE than the US's.

Posted by: Jack | Mar 14, 2012 4:58:08 PM

15. And it's of no moment to point to a story of someone using a gun to commit crimes. I could do the same thing for cars, or computers, or fertilizer.

You don't ban things because some people may do bad things with them. You punish the people who do bad things. As part of the tradeoff for liberty and freedom, we accept that some bad things beyond our control may happen. It's tragic, but there's no workable alternative.

Posted by: Jack | Mar 14, 2012 5:00:05 PM

16. As a proud Canadian citizen I'm happy to report that you're actually wrong about my home's gun violence levels.

Fewer incidences of gun-violence and stronger gun regulation.

i'm always baffled by people who defend their right to own and carry guns more than they work at creating a culture where people wont feel a need to act upon that right.

but, no. Canada's violent crime rates are in no way "worse" than those in the USA. Sorry. Truly

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 14, 2012 5:01:40 PM

17. Note with these fake-liberal guys, it's always their "friends" who are gay, and not actually them. They often say "I know someone who is gay", as if knowledge itself imparts a certain open-mindedness. Hollywood males do this all the time, too.

Posted by: jason | Mar 14, 2012 5:04:58 PM

18. Didn't say gun violence, said violent crime in general. And even if not the case any more, it is a truth that in the aftermath of Canada's gun restrictions, violent crime increased.

And there is in fact no concrete evidence that stronger gun control = less violent crime. Sorry. Truly.

(PS, I'd rather live in a world without guns, but seeing as it doesn't rain gumdrops and ice cream, I'd prefer to live in reality. Key word being "live.")

Posted by: Jack | Mar 14, 2012 5:05:57 PM

19. Altho I can't stand his defense of killing animals I have a better respect for him for speaking out so bluntly on support for gay marriage and abortion. I'm a 30-something and it seems from my generation down the very idea that two people of any gender should be denied marriage is unthinkable. Same for a women's right to choose whether or not she wishes to proceed with a pregnancy. The decision belongs to her and her alone.

And now Denmark is finally going to allow same sex marriage. As many have been saying, it is just a matter of time, accept it and move on. The generation before me is the end of non-equality.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Mar 14, 2012 5:10:26 PM

20. What possible justification can there be to seek out, hunt, and kill an endangered animal that poses no risk to you or anybody else's well-being? That should tell you everything about such a person's character.

Trump, like anyone else who has more money than they know what to do with, is the sort of person who cares only about himself, living his life for his own amusement and leisure. He hunts these animals for no other reason than the fact that he can say he did. He has no concern for global biodiversity--it's someone else's problem after he's dead. The same attitude permeates his understanding of these political issues. He says so himself--he doesn't understand the controversy over abortion because he can't relate to the notion of having boundaries on one's personal interests.

This man--and all like him--is not our ally. He's nothing more than a pampered, self-obsessed, egocentric, elitist snob who lacks any interest in such hoi polloi concepts like "civil rights" and "social justice." His vast wealth places him completely out of reach of these concerns. So, of course it is easy for him to say he supports one position or another--it is simply of no consequence to him.

The ONLY thing he cares about is what happens to his money and whether he can continue to accumulate wealth. He would shoot his own mother if he thought it would make him richer and he could get away with it. Don't delude yourself into thinking that anything else matters to him.

Posted by: atomic | Mar 14, 2012 5:12:02 PM

21. Atomic:

Perhaps you lack critical reading skills, or maybe you were just too lazy to actually read and get the facts:

None of the animals they killed were endangered. None. And the meat was given to local villagers to eat.

Posted by: Jack | Mar 14, 2012 5:16:58 PM

22. I'm sorry, but just because he clearly doesn't give a sh1t about anything other than his own ego, doesn't necessarily mean that he's an ally.

He's Patrick Bateman personified, in my eyes. If you enjoy killing, you are psychotic.

Posted by: Justin | Mar 14, 2012 5:34:04 PM

23. @Jack: And how does this change my point, exactly? What kind of person kills an ELEPHANT for FUN? Endangered or "threatened" or however you want to call it, the fact remains that Trump is a self-centered, rich white a-hole who doesn't give a damn about anyone except himself.

Posted by: atomic | Mar 14, 2012 5:34:09 PM

24. He's a liberal Cool!!!

I to have a gun and take to the range with my son. Hunting is a part of life, although hunting endangered animals should never be tolerated

Jason at least he willing to talk about pro gay issues, not a lot of conservitives doing that.

Posted by: GeorgeM | Mar 14, 2012 5:37:25 PM

25. When guns are banned, knife violence goes way up (examples: UK, Australia). When knives are banned people poke each other with pointy sticks (example: any prison). If you try to ban pointy sticks (good luck with that) then people use rocks or their fists.

You can't ban rocks and fists, but the young violent type are much better at using them as offensive weapons than others are at using them for defense.

Guns are an equalizer for non-thugs. Get equal.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Mar 14, 2012 5:39:46 PM