Donald Trump Jr.: Pro-Equality, Pro-Choice, Pro-Hunting, Calls His Father a ‘Sell Out’

Donald Trump Jr., who recently made headlines because of some sick photos that turned up of him posing with dead African wildlife that he had shot, talks to The Six Pack podcast about same-sex marriage, abortion, his father, and hunting.

TrumpjrTrump Jr. tries to explain why he unnecessarily kills African game and other animals:

"I'm kind of a closet redneck. I shoot competitively, I'm an avid fly fisherman, big time hunter, bow hunter, rifle hunter, so I do all of that. That surprises a lot of people. I sort of end up in some redneck circles every once in a while. And I mean that in the positive sense of the word."

Trump Jr. calls Rick Santorum "a freakin joke" but thinks his father is just a "sell out":

"In terms of my fathers political views.. in the grand scheme of things there's other things he'd be concerned about first, given the state of the world and our economy… I think part of it, and perhaps the shame of being a conservative, is you almost have to have those kind of stances to win any kind of primary. And then you have to sell out and become a moderate in the middle just like you have to do if you're on the liberal side of the political spectrum.."

He's for marriage equality:

"I'm totally for it. One of my best friends growing up was gay. it's never been an issue for me. I think there was a time in my life, probably in college, that I wished every guy was gay because it meant more woman for me! I don't know what everyones problem with it is, I wish everyone was gay! That's always the way I thought about it. I have no issue with it. If I have to suffer through marriage why shouldn't they?"

And pro-choice:

"Honestly for me, abortion, I don't get it. I don't even understand how it's a political issue. I don't understand how there is one issue for voters for that. I don't understand how you can tell someone what they can or can't do. And I'm sort of the same way with [gay marriage]. I just can't buy into the abortion argument. I wish the Republicans would drop it as part of their platform.."

Trump Jr. also says his father and George Takei had their same-sex marriage summit ("I know they did it, I saw them filming it. It happened this week in our board room.") but doesn't say what came of it.

Listen to the Six Pack podcast HERE.

Comments

1. jim says

Poor guy, he’s not only got his father’s name, but even at his young age, appears to have his father’s hair.

Sorry, couldn’t help myself. Good to see he’s progressed on social issues, gives hope.

2. Michael says

Sorry, but he’s not a closet redneck. All the money in the world can’t hide that fact. And let me just say, rednecks, the ones who don’t wear 3-piece suits, are my favorite kind of guys.

2ndly, he is 100% straight because real straight men ALWAYS have the attitude of “good, more women for me” when it comes to gay men. It’s only the guys who can’t deal with their own queerness that make such an issue out of it.

Like all real straight men, the thought of two men having sex never crosses his mind unless he’s asked about the issue. Other men, who love to proclaim their homophobia, think about gay sex more than we do.

3. KP says

Damn, I was prepared to dislike him because of the big game hunting but am loving him for the pro-equality, pro-choice, “my father sold out politically” stance he has. I love how his attitude towards gay men is “More women for me!”. I wish all straight men thought like that and stopped obsessing about our sex lives. Hooray for Donald Jrs’ pro-equality attitude (Boo though for the big game hunting though).

4. says

while i’m sure it happened in the generations before my own, there’s a growing reality of young gay men and straight men not only finding common ground for friendships as guys, but how gay and straight friendships can be wholly beneficial.

straight girls – you want to date a guy that has gay friends. straight guys with gay friends will be good fathers if you’re looking for Husband Material. A straight guy with gay friends is a comfortable and secure straight guy, an A+.

i can’t be the only guy who brought his straight buddies to the gay bars or clubs with him. and my straight friends LOVE coming to pride. not only is their bountiful female eye-candy on display, there’s also a lot of straight girls. truly – Pride is a straight man’s paradise!

having a gay friend is the best move a straight guy can make if he wants to snag the girl of his dreams.

5. John says

Whatever his politics..the fact he has a love for firearms & enjoys killing animals as a sport ticks him off of my list.
    What is this obsession human beings have with guns??

6. says

I’m with you, John.

i do remain frankly stunned that our society will condemn someone for a leaked sextape or nude photo, yet people posing with and glorifying the use of guns get a free pass.

gunculture leads to tens of thousands of deaths in this country every year.

so far, i’m not seeing any deaths from exposure to sexy penises.

7. Jack says

@John:

Oh yea, anyone who shoots competitively is just SUCH a jerk, right? I don’t hunt, but I shoot competitive pistol. I hope you share the same disdain for those who enjoy archery.

8. Jack says

Kiwi, guns are a tool that are sometimes used by those who are ALREADY predisposed to causing harm to others. People don’t all of a sudden become violent because they get a gun.

If you want to live in a country without guns, go to England, or even Canada. Oh, but before you go, let me remind you that their violent crime rates are WORSE than the US’s.

9. Jack says

And it’s of no moment to point to a story of someone using a gun to commit crimes. I could do the same thing for cars, or computers, or fertilizer.

You don’t ban things because some people may do bad things with them. You punish the people who do bad things. As part of the tradeoff for liberty and freedom, we accept that some bad things beyond our control may happen. It’s tragic, but there’s no workable alternative.

10. says

As a proud Canadian citizen I’m happy to report that you’re actually wrong about my home’s gun violence levels.

Fewer incidences of gun-violence and stronger gun regulation.

i’m always baffled by people who defend their right to own and carry guns more than they work at creating a culture where people wont feel a need to act upon that right.

but, no. Canada’s violent crime rates are in no way “worse” than those in the USA. Sorry. Truly

11. jason says

Note with these fake-liberal guys, it’s always their “friends” who are gay, and not actually them. They often say “I know someone who is gay”, as if knowledge itself imparts a certain open-mindedness. Hollywood males do this all the time, too.

12. Jack says

Didn’t say gun violence, said violent crime in general. And even if not the case any more, it is a truth that in the aftermath of Canada’s gun restrictions, violent crime increased.

And there is in fact no concrete evidence that stronger gun control = less violent crime. Sorry. Truly.

(PS, I’d rather live in a world without guns, but seeing as it doesn’t rain gumdrops and ice cream, I’d prefer to live in reality. Key word being “live.”)

13. says

Altho I can’t stand his defense of killing animals I have a better respect for him for speaking out so bluntly on support for gay marriage and abortion. I’m a 30-something and it seems from my generation down the very idea that two people of any gender should be denied marriage is unthinkable. Same for a women’s right to choose whether or not she wishes to proceed with a pregnancy. The decision belongs to her and her alone.

And now Denmark is finally going to allow same sex marriage. As many have been saying, it is just a matter of time, accept it and move on. The generation before me is the end of non-equality.

14. atomic says

What possible justification can there be to seek out, hunt, and kill an endangered animal that poses no risk to you or anybody else’s well-being? That should tell you everything about such a person’s character.

Trump, like anyone else who has more money than they know what to do with, is the sort of person who cares only about himself, living his life for his own amusement and leisure. He hunts these animals for no other reason than the fact that he can say he did. He has no concern for global biodiversity–it’s someone else’s problem after he’s dead. The same attitude permeates his understanding of these political issues. He says so himself–he doesn’t understand the controversy over abortion because he can’t relate to the notion of having boundaries on one’s personal interests.

This man–and all like him–is not our ally. He’s nothing more than a pampered, self-obsessed, egocentric, elitist snob who lacks any interest in such hoi polloi concepts like “civil rights” and “social justice.” His vast wealth places him completely out of reach of these concerns. So, of course it is easy for him to say he supports one position or another–it is simply of no consequence to him.

The ONLY thing he cares about is what happens to his money and whether he can continue to accumulate wealth. He would shoot his own mother if he thought it would make him richer and he could get away with it. Don’t delude yourself into thinking that anything else matters to him.

15. Jack says

Atomic:

Perhaps you lack critical reading skills, or maybe you were just too lazy to actually read and get the facts:

None of the animals they killed were endangered. None. And the meat was given to local villagers to eat.

16. Justin says

I’m sorry, but just because he clearly doesn’t give a sh1t about anything other than his own ego, doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s an ally.

He’s Patrick Bateman personified, in my eyes. If you enjoy killing, you are psychotic.

17. atomic says

@Jack: And how does this change my point, exactly? What kind of person kills an ELEPHANT for FUN? Endangered or “threatened” or however you want to call it, the fact remains that Trump is a self-centered, rich white a-hole who doesn’t give a damn about anyone except himself.

18. GeorgeM says

He’s a liberal Cool!!!

I to have a gun and take to the range with my son. Hunting is a part of life, although hunting endangered animals should never be tolerated

Jason at least he willing to talk about pro gay issues, not a lot of conservitives doing that.

19. says

When guns are banned, knife violence goes way up (examples: UK, Australia). When knives are banned people poke each other with pointy sticks (example: any prison). If you try to ban pointy sticks (good luck with that) then people use rocks or their fists.

You can’t ban rocks and fists, but the young violent type are much better at using them as offensive weapons than others are at using them for defense.

Guns are an equalizer for non-thugs. Get equal.

20. ger says

Jack, I’m not sure how you’re defining violent crime, but if you look at the intentional homicide rates you’ll see that over the last decade the US has averaged more than 5 per 100,000 while Canada has had less than 2. We’ve still got our share of violent crime, we just don’t die as much,

21. Justin says

The PRIMARY purpose of any firearm, is to shoot things.

You could use a wooden chair as a weapon, and bludgeon someone over the head until they died… But the PRIMARY purpose of a chair is to sit on.

It’s disingenous to suggest that guns (and any other objects designed as weapons) are as innocuous as “pointy sticks.”

22. SFshawn says

For those folks obsessed with owning a gun,carrying a firearm,protecting yourself,defending yourself,killing and slaughtering defenseless animals for sport and convincing yourself that guns don’t really kill people. YOU are one of the reasons why the world is as violent as it is. Thanks for contributing to a more peaceful and less violent world for everyone including your children.

23. ratbastard says

What is it with this morbid, pathological fear [I’ll call it fear] of firearms some people have? I’ve found also, in general, that people who have this fear also dislike and mock masculine displays and attitude. Why?

As for violent American ‘gun’ crime, please read and study the statistics about who and where the vast majority of violent ‘gun’ crime occurs. Does America have a violent crime problem? Yes, but it’s essentially confined to a few well defined urban areas, involves drug trafficking and gangs. Law enforcement and prosecutors know perfectly well who commits violent gun crime at not only a hugely disproportionate level but at an over-all majority, but also where and under what circumstances it’s most likely to occur. Left-wingers NEVER seem to want to get to the root of violent predatory street crime. And on the rare occasions when they do acknowledge problems with certain groups, they blame it on ‘poverty’, ‘lack of opportunity’, etc. Apparently the half century of extensive and expensive social services, reverse discrimination, etc. are a mental block many lefties suffer.

24. says

masculine men don’t carry guns. masculine men don’t need guns. carrying a gun is something that someone does when they know that they’re not a real man.

that’s why GOProud is all about guns. That’s why the anti-gay crowd loves their Second Amendment.

That’s why the country’s racists arm themselves.

now, ratbastardjasonrickUFFDA, as usual, finds a way to say “violence is because of poor black thugs” in different words.

here’s a fun fact – the USA has privatized prisons. meaning people who profit of of prisons being full. hence, people who have a vested interest in having people arrested and jailed for various crimes.

another fun fact – the cost of living goes up, the minimum wage does not.

another one – health insurance costs a lot, and medical attention is astronomically expensive for the uninsured.

So, we have The Right who are ensuring that they pay less in taxes than the real working and lower class peoples. The Right who go home at night to their white & gated communities that were paid for by taking jobs away from Americans and outsourced to other countries where workers are paid peanuts. oh, and the money made from these ventures is not taxed.

all due to The Right.

the right adamantly wants non-white people to be armed and driven to desperation. from the safety of their gated communities they don’t care what happens to anyone else.

oh ratbastard, of all your fake aliases this one makes me laugh the hardest. how’s your fake dad? still fake dead? no doubt the best part of being dead is you no longer being around to humiliate him in front of his buds.

and now you use one of your other aliases to criticize me.
    seriously, though, your behavior on here is the reason your own father resented having you for a son – it’s not because you’re gay, but specifically because this is the type of gay man you are – a coward who is too busy blowing the bullies that he forgets to stand up to them.

25. Wes says

ratbastard actually just blamed ‘violent crime’ on people being black (since specifically dismissing socioeconomic factors). why don’t you just say what you mean if you’re going to be so obvious with your bigotry anyways

26. TJ says

JACK – Leopards are an endangered species. Just because it was legal didn’t make it right. He just shot the leopard in an area in which it isn’t protected.

As for guns and violence, they are correlated. If a gun is present, it ups the chances of violence because the gun gets used. They are an escalation factor.

27. GeorgeM says

Rat as a gun owner I left your corner when you turned it in to a masculine vers feminine (typical) and left vers right (again typical). We “responsible” gun owners don’t need anymore BS

28. peterparker says

I want to strangle straight men (and it’s always straight *men*) who, in an attempt to seem supportive of marriage equality, say things like, “If I have to suffer through marriage then why shouldn’t gay people have to suffer through it also?” Even though that attitude is meant as something of a joke, it is a remarkably insensitive thing to say to people who want, but cannot have, the legal protections of marriage.

@JACK: Regarding your defense of Trump’s African shooting spree based on the claim that none of the animals were endangered and all the meat was giving to local villagers: SO WHAT?!

The money the Trump sons spent on that hunting trip could have (probably) funded the construction of a well that would have supplied clean water to the village for years. They could have purchased food that would have fed the village for many months, if not for an entire year. There are alternatives to hunting and killing wild animals.

Regarding the claim that none of the animals were endangered:

African elephants are listed as endangered on the World Conservation Union’s Red List of Threatened Animals.

It is believed that in the 1930s-1940s there were 3 to 5 million African elephants on the continent. Currently, due primarily to the ivory trade and, to a somewhat lesser extent, the hunting of elephants for sport/trophies, there are about 600,000 elephants in Africa. Some countries have fared worse than others. The eastern region of Chad, for example, had about 400,000 elephants in 1970, but by 2006 there were only 10,000 elephants there. Kenya experienced an 85% decline in the elephant population from 1973 to 1989. No one believe there is a general overabundance of elephants in Africa.

Elephants are among the most intelligent animals in the world. Like humans, apes, and some dolphin species, elephants have a large and convoluted neocortex which, in humans, is associated with higher functions such as spatial reasoning, conscious thought and language skills. It most likely serves the same function in elephants.

Elephants have extremely complex social lives. They live with their herd for decades, sometimes up to 70 years. As such, they are highly bonded to the other members of the herd. Elephants exhibit behaviors such as cooperation, use of tools, altruism, compassion, and, most damning to Trump, grief at the loss of a herd member. Elephants have been observed in the wild covering dead herd members with tree branches, guarding the body for days, nuzzling or caressing the body of a dead herd member. They also make annual visits to the site where another elephant has died.

I grew up in a hunting family. While I would *never* engage in the sport myself, I don’t get too worked up over a dove or quail hunt, a turkey kill or deer season. But killing an elephant is as wrong, as cruel, and as inhumane as killing a non-human primate, bludgeoning a dolphin or shooting your neighbor. It is wrong. Period.

29. jack leddy says

This is the first positive thing I have ever heard about”The Donald”. It is to his credit to have raised such an independent and intelligent young man. I would never vote for Donald Sr. for anything. However, Donald Jr looks very interesting.

30. Markt says

The vast majority of humans eat meat. An animal must die for us to do that. Meat eating animals will eat humans. So what’s wrong with hunting?
    I agree that a world without guns would be good but that is not possible. Guns would proliferate among criminal types a lot faster than the atomic bomb proliferates among rogue states. Can we make our goals within reason? Can we acknowledge the facts of human and animal behavior (which is the same)?
    Protect endangered animals and people if you can. Try and limit the availability of guns, especially automatic weapons. And support Trump Jr. for being a huge improvement over his Dad.

31. jack leddy says

I am a liberal democrat who believes that Americans should protect their right to bear arms (2nd Amendment).I own two handguns and know how to use them. (Thanks to Navy training). I wish that more people, mom and pop store owners and regular folks would own guns and train how to use them.I would like to see more preditors dead on the street instead of innocent people.

32. jack leddy says

I know what i have experienced. One night walking from the subway to my house, i was accosted by a man who wanted to rob me. I Pulled my 38 snubbed nose revolver from my jacket( i admit that I had no permit for it) and aimed it at him and he ran like the coward that he was.Would I have been prosecuted for shooting him? Probably. Would a jury have convicted me? Probably not. Bernard Goetz is still one of my heroes.In case you think this is some right wing BS, I am voting for Obama In Nov.

33. TJ says

JACK LEDDY – if a gun is involved, it iis more likely than not that someone ends up dead. I’m glad you remained safe. You didn’t deserves to be accosted. Neither did Bernard Goetz, who, because he was prepared (awaiting?), showed thugs what’s what. I guess the debate depends on how you feel about killing people, however justified. And how you feel about killing animals, going about their business, and being hunted by people for sport, because killing is apparently fun. Perhaps there is no distinction, and fun is fun. So, who’s fun is more legitimate? Killing people for fun (however justified)? Or killing animals?

34. Chris says

@littlekiwi. I am as liberal as they come, and even I know that it is not hunters and competitive shooters that are committing gun related crimes. The “gun culture” you speak about has nothing to do with competitive shooting and hunting.

35. Jack says

SFSHAWN:

Way to be ignorant. How does my owning 3 pistols and using them to shoot in marksmanship competitions do anything to make the world less safe.

You’re a typical, knee-jerk, reactionary idiot who doesn’t think about what they are saying.

Criminals use guns to do bad things. They also use other things to do bad things. It’s not ME, the law-abiding citizen, who needs to be punished.

Go after the criminals.

36. TJ says

GEORGEM – For survival. I’d kill an animal in order to eat (I’m not a vegetarian; my body was designed to eat all sorts of food) and would give thanks for the sacrifice. I’d shoot a leopard (presuming I had a gun) that was attacking me. I’d fight for my life if a person threatened to take it. I wouldn’t lie in wait, looking for an opportunity. I do what I can to pre-emptively keep myself out of harm’s way

37. Jack says

@TJ:

I don’t know what there is to say about “killing people, no matter how justified.” If it’s justified…it’s justified.

Would I prefer I didn’t have to? Sure.

Would I feel BAD about taking the life of someone who was threatening to inflict grave bodily harm against me, or kill me? Not for a second.

38. Jack says

I guess it is. But if someone is unjustifiably threatening to take my life, I have no idea why I would feel bad about valuing my life over that of a miscreant that is trying to take mine.

It’s regrettable, but I wouldn’t lose sleep over it, because if it’s justified, I’ll know my only other option was potentially dying myself. And self-preservation means more to me than the life of a thug.

39. JohnAGJ says

TJ: So what’s the problem here then? We slaughter thousands of cows, chickens and pigs everyday to eat. As an admitted omnivore you are at least an accessory to the killing of these and other animals that we eat. I presume like myself you prefer to buy your meat at the grocery store rather than hunt and/or kill it yourself. Well unlike us some folks prefer to catch their own or do it for others – including not only those whose job it is to fill the meat counter at our respective grocery stores, but I’m willing to bet a lot of folks in the village Trump Jr. claims to have given the elephant and leopard meat to. As long as the animals that Trump Jr. shot were eaten, they aren’t endangered in that region or the hunt was at least a controlled one (i.e. these animals are set aside in a reserve for periodic hunts like this) which it sounds like it was, I don’t have a problem with it. Hunting isn’t something I enjoy and hope I never have to do myself but to each his own.

40. JohnAGJ says