GQ | James Franco | News | Robert Mapplethorpe

James Franco Channels Robert Mapplethorpe

Franco7

Photographer Mariano Vivanco captures James Franco in a variety of Robert Mapplethorpe-inspired stills for the new isue of GQ Style Germany.

Franco6 Franco5

Franco4

Franco3 Franco2

Franco1

A couple more shots at Design Scene.

Comments

1. Brilliant concept. Love how Franco keeps playing with everyone's minds with the sexuality thing. Very post-gay of him.

Posted by: James Killough | Mar 6, 2012 12:47:47 PM

2. Aw, no bullwhip-in-the-ass shot?

Posted by: Matt | Mar 6, 2012 12:54:34 PM

3. A Mapplethorpe homage is incomplete without the bullwhip.

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Mar 6, 2012 12:57:31 PM

4. But who will be Patti Smith?

Posted by: Sol Muser | Mar 6, 2012 1:04:24 PM

5. I love this sexy weirdo.

Posted by: yonquersconquers | Mar 6, 2012 1:04:40 PM

6. LOL
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought about the bullwhip photo.

Posted by: 1♥ | Mar 6, 2012 1:07:53 PM

7. Wouldja come out already?

I hope he's not into the drugs. Remember how handsome Heath Ledger was, and how drawn and debilitated he looked near the end? I'm getting the same vibe from Franco.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Mar 6, 2012 1:11:49 PM

8. Wow, the man can sure take a picture. Cheekbones, the pout, the hair.

Posted by: Gregoire | Mar 6, 2012 1:15:14 PM

9. He's not serious until we see the picture with the bullwhip?

Posted by: Smartypants | Mar 6, 2012 1:27:26 PM

10. For everyone clamoring for the infamous bullwhip shot by Mapplethorp to be copied by Franco, they need to remember that the photo spread is for GQ. Not everything can be emulated in the "mainstream" media.

Hell, I would just like to see more male frontal nudity in the movies and on the premium cable productions (although Spartacus does a good job).

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Mar 6, 2012 1:52:27 PM

11. Because you know if he could, he would do the bullwhip photo (or at least, on homage to it). The man is nothing if not committed to his source materials. I wonder if, like Mapplethorpe, I could pay to have sex with him.

Posted by: Gregoire | Mar 6, 2012 2:11:19 PM

12. Won't someone PLEASE make James Franco go away???

Posted by: patrick | Mar 6, 2012 2:18:36 PM

13. LOL. We have had meterosexuals for a while now. But James Franco is the first "streer". I love it.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 6, 2012 3:26:20 PM

14. Matt, and Sean in Dallas (among others) have it right.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 6, 2012 4:46:35 PM

15. I don't particularly like these photos, but I like him a lot. I think he would be lots of fun to live with, going out to do crazy stuff, then coming home to calm down. If only.

Posted by: true colors showing | Mar 6, 2012 5:04:56 PM

16. James, you never cease to amaze us.

Posted by: Dan | Mar 6, 2012 5:11:50 PM

17. Mr Franco looks very sexy in these shots ( yes even with out the infamous whip)

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 6, 2012 5:41:36 PM

18. Wow, these are amazing...unsettling, really. Not just the setup (which is superb), there's a real RM energy going on in Franco's eyes. Franco really is a chameleon, some amazing work (tho saw The Broken Tower last weekend...really wanted to like it, but was just annoyed by it).

Posted by: jim | Mar 6, 2012 7:15:25 PM

19. WTF exactly does he do?

Posted by: Derek Washington | Mar 6, 2012 7:23:40 PM

20. I'm a little Franco'd out. He needs to go away for just a few minutes to give us all a break...

Posted by: Marlee | Mar 6, 2012 8:29:34 PM

21. Make him stop!

He's got no talent save for using everyone else's creative energy as his own.

Yuck.

Posted by: benjamin | Mar 6, 2012 11:28:35 PM

22. @ Marlee, Benjamin, Derek, Patrick--Thank you. Sadly he keeps popping up in movies I otherwise enjoy. I've seen him in eight movies the last two years (on video or in theaters) and all I keep thinking is that he's got no more to offer than some of the old school matinee idols who looked more interested in making love to themselves than actually, you know, acting. Ugh.

Posted by: Stefan | Mar 7, 2012 9:36:04 AM

23. Yes please, and Zoe Deschanel as Patti Smith.

Posted by: Dback | Mar 7, 2012 9:39:42 AM

24. @Stefan Of course, most of you would say that about any actor who is not female, wouldn't you?

Uh-huh.

Praise a male actor, ANY male actor, go ahead, I dare you to.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 7, 2012 10:33:23 AM

25. I love James Franco and everything he does. He is a brillant artist!

Posted by: Mick | Mar 7, 2012 12:31:46 PM