Mad Men | Magazines | Newsweek | Television

'Newsweek' Drops 1960's-styled issue for 'Mad Men' Return, Ads Included

Newsweek_madmen

Today, Newsweek heads back to 1965, dropping a retro issue inspired by Mad Men's return.

Ad Age reports:

The "Mad Men"-themed issue can't include one big category from the 1960's: tobacco advertising, which Newsweek no longer accepts. But Newsweek is trying to interest other marketers in either reviving their own ads' look from the time or, for newer brands, imagining how their ads would have looked in those days.

"We've challenged agencies and clients to do '60s-inspired creative, but for modern messages and products," said Rob Gregory, president at Newsweek Daily Beast.

"It's analogous to when the NFL has a game and the teams wear their vintage uniforms," he added. "It's a nod to retro style, but it's a live game and it counts."

Comments

1. "Drops" or "dropping" to me means letting go of, abandoning, discontinuing. I assumed you meant Newsweek had given up on the idea.

I'm confused.

Posted by: seeking clarity | Mar 19, 2012 8:16:14 AM

2. "Drop" also refers to the release of a publication or recording.

Posted by: Tessie Tura | Mar 19, 2012 8:28:42 AM

3. Albums drop, magazine issues dont.

Posted by: DrJWL | Mar 19, 2012 10:00:06 AM

4. I too thought the headline indicated they had dropped the idea. I have actually never heard it used for a publication (usually only music) but I am sure it is. Still, since communication is only successful after the message is received as intended by the transmitter, its not an invalid criticism. I work in Public Affairs (where we release new publications, reports, and collateral materials on a daily basis) and I was still confused and misunderstood, so the first commenter and I can't be alone.

Might ai also note that at first glance the cover doesn't seem all that retro? Especially if you know it is the MAD MEN cast. Only after looking more closely at the font and content does that come across. I would have liked to have seen more stylized artwork and the images manipulated just enough to give it a full on retro feel. That would have stopped me in the grocery aisle and caused me to reach for it put of curiosity. I will do it now, but mostly because I already know to look for it. We have seen the cast of MAD MEN in costume on covers before. There really isn't much to tell you its a novelty issue and worth looking inside for more fun throwbacks. Not sure why they went so unremarkable with the creative, but either way I am excited to see inside it.

Posted by: LuckyLinden | Mar 19, 2012 10:26:34 AM

5. They should have shown similar ads for a more accurate feel, and the show itself displays more drinking and smoking than just about any other.

Posted by: anon | Mar 19, 2012 10:43:37 AM

6. The copy writer for this headline would be fired by Sterling Cooper, et al. in a heartbeat. Most of us who are interested in the show already knew about Newsweek's plans, so to say it's been "dropped" implies - in plain English - that the plan had been abandoned.

FAIL.

And yeah, the cover doesn't look very retro at all. Double Fail.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 19, 2012 10:50:43 AM

7. I also thought the cover was not going to happen... but I'm glad it is!

Posted by: tom a | Mar 19, 2012 11:15:02 AM

8. I think the whole thing is a bad idea. Newsweek is, at least ostensibly, a NEWS magazine and taking its cues from a new season of a TV show only undermines its claim of being a serious, respectable journal. If Entertainment Weekly or TV Guide did it, fine, but not a news magazine.

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 19, 2012 11:19:27 AM

9. I wish Tits McGee would stop wearing that stupid pen on a chain thing around her neck.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Mar 19, 2012 11:23:50 AM

10. You leave Tits McGee ALONE!!!!

Posted by: TJ | Mar 19, 2012 12:08:09 PM

11. Yeah, I was a little confused at first. Reading the headline, I thought AMC and Newsweek must have gotten into some kind of a spat and Newsweek decided to abandon the cover over it...

LOL.

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 19, 2012 12:59:10 PM

12. Headline FAIL.

Posted by: Rhea | Mar 19, 2012 2:34:06 PM

13. Entertainment Weekly? OK.

Newsweek? Not good.