Bullying | Dharun Ravi | Discrimination | News | Tyler Clementi

BigGayDeal.com

Preview of Dharun Ravi's '20/20' Interview On Tyler Clementi: VIDEO

RaviABCNews

Dharun Ravi has been making the media rounds following the guilty verdict for his role in Tyler Clementi's 2010 suicide. First there was his sit-down with Newark's Star-Ledger, and now ABC News is promoting their own interview with Ravi, set to air tomorrow on 20/20.

In addition to saying again that he doesn't dislike gay people, Ravi tells journalist Chris Cuomo that he doesn't ultimately feel responsible for what happened.

"I feel like I was an insignificant part to his life. That’s giving me comfort now," he said, "The more and more I found out, it would be kind of obnoxious of me to think that I could have this profound effect on him." He also argues he couldn't have been the sole factor in Clementi's death: "He had bigger problems in his life," which is most likely true.

Ravi does, however, admit he was in the wrong by transmitting Clementi's gay hookup. "Even though I wasn’t the one who caused him to jump off the bridge, I did do things wrong and I was stupid about a lot of stuff." But he does believe he's been "used" to make an example, telling Cuomo, "I understand why people feel the need to punish me. Bad stuff happens and they need to set an example, but it’s unfortunate this has to be the case where this happens."

Watch a preview of Ravi's interview with ABC News, AFTER THE JUMP

Comments

1. with remorse like that no wonder the jury convicted his sorry ass

Posted by: mld | Mar 22, 2012 8:16:30 PM

2. To be honest, I agree with Ravi. However it may make people angry on this site or whatever, I think Clementi had some serious issues. To any normal functioning person, you don't jump off a bridge because someone filmed you making out with another dude. That's just not a normal response. I think Ravi genuinely didn't have any anti gay animus. I think he just thought his roommate was a weirdo and wanted to be nosy.

He acted in poor judgment, as many college freshmen do, but I don't think he deserves the bias intimidation charge.

The fact that he's getting the same hate crime enhancement to his punishment that, say, a Skinhead might, is troublesome for me.

Posted by: Rob | Mar 22, 2012 8:16:38 PM

3. Ravi didn't push Tyler off the bridge. BUT he did what he was accused of in terms of invading privacy, tampering with evidence, blah blah blah. He was found guilty of the accused crimes by a jury of his peers.

And I agree with MLD - this kind of response (recorded!) will not serve him well in any kind of appeal. Plus he's putting out to the world "I did do things wrong." Hard to win appeal when you tell the press you did wrong.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 22, 2012 8:23:18 PM

4. WTF? Any shred of compassion I felt for Ravi just flew out the window. So... He doesn't see how broadcasting a gay sex encounter to the entire college campus might devastate someone?

The one item that keeps playing in my mind is the unidentified lover who said he was noticing people starting to stare, making comments to each other and how it all become very unsettling (obviously not the exact words). I can just imagine what it was like for Clementi. He finally made it out of high school and, thanks to Ravi, faced something far more horrible then he could ever have imagined. What did Ravi think would be the effect on him?

I wonder if Ravi realizes his words are only making things worse for him in the eyes of many, many others.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 22, 2012 8:28:26 PM

5. No, you could not have known what his issues may have been and you may have been the proverbial straw that "broke the camels back". But make no mistake, your actions did play a part in Clementi's death.

I would agree you are paying a pretty steep price for it. That said, I do not feel sorry for you. I believe that your actions were malicious in nature and I also think you may actually have your own unresolved issues you need to work out.

Posted by: Kenn I | Mar 22, 2012 8:29:20 PM

6. Arrogant little creep. Blame the victim.

He is totally guilty of what he was convicted of, invasion of privacy and tampering with evidence...which will probably hold up on appeal, although the bias charges are less certain.

Posted by: qj201 | Mar 22, 2012 8:31:49 PM

7. This slimeball lost in a court of law, so now he is trying to win in the court of public opinion. That's why he's doing the media blitz--so that he can garner sympathy and then see if that helps get his conviction overturned on appeal. It's as simple as that.

Posted by: atomic | Mar 22, 2012 8:36:51 PM

8. This is all PR - an attempt to paint Ravi has a good person, one who would never do what he has been convicted of. I saw a portion of the interview on ABC News just now and I minored in advertising. Ravi will speak out now, before he is sentenced, to change the perspective, to put him in a more positive, "I'm just an 18YO fool" mindset in the world's eyes so that he does not face 10 years in prison.

Sadly Tyler Clementi cannot step forward like this and dispute any of Ravi's new claims. Dharun Ravi deserves every day of his ten-year sentence and those of you apologizing for him, believing in him have been duped. The jury saw the truth and it is hoped that all this PR will not alter the sentence an honest judge will give him.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Mar 22, 2012 8:52:34 PM

9. Rob, I used to think like you did. I was confused, with the attitude of "So somebody saw him making out with another guy for less than a minute then told a few other people about it. I don't get what the big deal was, there HAS to be something more to it than that!"

It took me reading "MB's" testimony before I got it. (MB was the guy Tyler 'hooked up' with, who remains anonymous.) He said that as he left the dorm after Ravi and Wei had spied on them (plus the "5 or so" people Wei turned the camera back on for), there were people standing in groups looking at him oddly. The next time he met up with Tyler (the "viewing party" that didn't work) they heard derisive laughter as if someone was making jokes at someone's expense.

Ravi didn't "just" spy on Tyler kissing a man for a few seconds. He let Wei see and she showed at least five more people. Then after that he gossiped about with everyone he could both in person and via electronic means like Twitter and IM's. (I think Ravi was using Tyler to elevate his own social standing- it gave him a story to tell.)

What this is really about is that Ravi "outed" Tyler to the entire dorm and made him a figure of ridicule. We have no idea what someone else may have said to him but they wouldn't have HAD anything to say to him if Ravi hadn't turned Tyler's personal life and sexuality into a running joke for public consumption and amusement.

Articles and journalists keep saying that Tyler Clementi was an "out" gay man. Yes and no. Coming out isn't an event, something you do once and it's over, it's a process that Tyler had JUST BEGUN. He had told his parents (and felt his mother was rejecting) and his gay brother, who was apparently not out to their parents at the time. Some of his friends (at least online) knew and he went to gay message boards. He was just beginning to peek his head out of the closet and Dharun Ravi "outed" him to the entire dorm and gave details about Tyler and the "homeless looking dude" he was seeing. He publicly embarrassed a shy FRESHMAN gay young man in front of the whole dorm just a few weeks after school started.

That doesn't seem so innocent and harmless now, does it? Tyler Clementi showed up at college, as all new students do, expecting to start a new chapter in his life, to make friends, to find a career, etc. No doubt he was planning to come out to more people IN HIS OWN TIME, when he felt comfortable doing so. But Dharun Ravi spied on him in an intimate situation then used that information to embarrass him in front of the whole dorm. At that moment Tyler probably felt that he would never live that down, that he would always be "the guy who...."

Obviously he overreacted but I don't think any 18 year old, particularly a GAY 18 year old not fully out of the closet, would have just shrugged their shoulders and said "who cares?" They would be embarrassed, scared, angry, depressed; full of emotions that might overwhelm them.

So yeah, actually I think we DO know why Tyler Clementi committed suicide. Was that a reasonable reaction? No, but it's never really rational when teenagers kill themselves though, is it? "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem." The difficulty is getting young people to see past the temporary pain, shame, guilt, loneliness or whatever they're going through at the moment.

But one thing we DO know is that the situation that ended up overwhelming Tyler Clementi started from the deliberate actions of Dharun Ravi.

From that point you can get into questions of intent, reasonable punishment, etc, etc, but you DO have to start there. Dharun Ravi's deliberate actions were a substantial factor in putting Tyler Clementi on the edge of the George Washington bridge. Any other conclusion is dishonest.

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 22, 2012 9:01:15 PM

10. no accountability; no soul

Posted by: t | Mar 22, 2012 9:01:32 PM

11. Yeah... you're actually making it worse, Ravi. Which, I didn't think was possible...

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Mar 22, 2012 9:01:46 PM

12. If you admit you were in the wrong, why did you think community service was too much?

Posted by: Wes | Mar 22, 2012 9:04:15 PM

13. There has never been any evidence that Tyler had any personal issues. He was a little shy but active in school, music and had good friends.

I believe he must have been so embarrassed and humiliated about what happened. Peers in his residence hall, in his new home saw him being intimate with someone and were basically making fun of him.

And then after the first time he learns that this sick roommate is trying to do it again. There were other ways of dealing with the situation but I can just imagine what that poor guy was going through in that dorm with that homophobe.

Posted by: Tony | Mar 22, 2012 9:04:53 PM

14. I don't get it about the PR blitz. What you do on TV or even if you manage to change all of public opinion will not affect one iota of what a judge will do in a court of law, and doesn't have a chance of effecting the sentencing or the appeal. I just don't get it.

I'd like to clear up 2 things, since misconceptions about them have already cropped up in this thread.

(1) The bias intimidation charge Ravi was found guilty of concerned the victim's reasonable interpretation that there was anti-gay bias. Ravi was acquitted of having his own anti-gay bias. There was not enough evidence of that, and to the extent he's claiming to have been found by a jury to have anti-gay bias, he's outright lying. But I'm glad the law holds us responsible for not giving two seconds' thought to how our actions affect other people.

(2) It was not the spying per se that appears to have unhinged Tyler Clementi. Few people saw the first encounter, and Clementi himself foiled the broadcast of the second. But not before Ravi had already tweeted an invitation to watch - and it was the reply tweets of Ravi's followers that so upset Tyler Clementi - and rightly so. Not a word of condemnation for spying on a roommate's intimate moments of privacy. Rather, 100% homophobic bile and hatred. The evidence demonstrated Tyler was very upset by this public ridicule on Twitter.

Dharun Ravi set this all in motion and kept in motion, then lied to cover it up. But it apparently WAS the straw that broke the camel's back and a boy is now dead. Perhaps Ravi's right that this case would not have gone to trial if a death were not involved. But a death IS involved. And the case also would not have gone to trial if Ravi himself had just accepted the plea deal for community service with no jail time.

I've never had much sympathy for the snooty, self-absorbed punk. If possible, this PR blitz pushes me into the territory of actual antipathy.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 22, 2012 9:38:26 PM

15. I absolutely can't stand that freaking awful idiot Ravi.

But he probably rejected the plea deal because a plea deal involves admitting guilt and if you are guilty of a felony as a non-citizen, you'll most likely get deported.

So it's not as straight forward a decision to plead guilty in exchange of a light sentence for a non-citizen vs. a citizen.

Posted by: galore | Mar 22, 2012 9:47:57 PM

16. Ravi gets to live and tell his side of the story, while Clementi was shamed and humiliated by Ravi, to the point of killing himself.

Who was whoring themselves out? Right Ravi?

Posted by: bkmn | Mar 22, 2012 10:00:40 PM

17. Huh, if he's so unconcerned with looking like an idiot, why didn't he just take the stand at the trial?

There's something that's bugged me about the whole series of events, and it's the event we know nothing about. Read somewhere that there was a meeting in the dorm room between Ravi and Tyler the night Tyler commited suicide. My gut tells me there has to be more, something bigger, that drove Tyler to end it, and that Ravi has something to do with it. Only 2 people know what was said, and 1 of them is dead. Over-dramatic? Perhaps. But there's just something missing here.

Posted by: jim | Mar 22, 2012 10:01:30 PM

18. He refuses to take even a minimum amount of responsibility for any of this actions. He is doing media interview yet he refused to tell his side of the story at his trial.

Posted by: texasguy377 | Mar 22, 2012 10:02:02 PM

19. Why are people giving this jerk airtime?

He did what he did, a jury found him guilty of it, and he honestly thinks he's being used as an example because for a change a friggen jury actually followed the law without emotion and did the right thing?

He obviously still doesn't get it. He obviously has no remorse. He obviously needs to just shut up and go to jail.

Posted by: Davelandia | Mar 22, 2012 10:08:15 PM

20. http://fablog.ehrensteinland.com/2012/03/22/hommage-a-roman-polanski/

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 22, 2012 10:14:25 PM

21. Okay, what made my blood boil, is he states that he knew what Tyler was thinking and he knew that Tyler was not intimidated by him or bothered by his actions? Yes, that is why Tyler requested a roommate change because he was so comfortable with the situation. Anyone who says they know what someone else was thinking is lying or deluding themselves. I agree with (commenter) Jim, something else happened and I would not be surprised if it was something very sinister on Ravi's part.

Posted by: Angela Channing | Mar 22, 2012 10:55:25 PM

22. Deport his sociopathic ass.

Posted by: Polyboy | Mar 22, 2012 11:06:40 PM

23. all i see is arrogance and deflection and a dead boy floating in the river. i'm happy he's going away to prison.

Posted by: deedrdo | Mar 22, 2012 11:12:08 PM

24. Does he really believe people can't have a "profound effect" on the people around them?

Posted by: T | Mar 22, 2012 11:15:21 PM

25. Didn't Tyler leave a suicide note? Have the contents ever been revealed?

Posted by: Henry Holland | Mar 22, 2012 11:19:30 PM