News | Ricky Martin | Theatre

BigGayDeal.com

Ricky Martin's Che

Martin

A new shot from EW.

(via Ed Kennedy at AfterElton)

Comments

1. Waiting eagerly to see if Ricky Martin can match Mandy Patinkin's unforgettable depiction of Che in the original 1980 Broadway opera. Yes, I'm THAT old. :)

Posted by: Nathan James | Mar 9, 2012 8:34:54 AM

2. Hope Ricky knocks it out of the park he seems natural for the role. But this photograph seems a little odd and a little stiff to me.

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Mar 9, 2012 8:37:50 AM

3. "Ricky Martin as Che" in the little print there would have made that layout a little less amusing.

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 9, 2012 8:54:00 AM

4. @Nathan James, too young to see the oringinal on stage, but yes the cast was perfect. (LuPone fan here.)
    But I am sure Ricky is very good. I hope I can travel to NYC and as a part of the trip see the show.

Posted by: Matt26 | Mar 9, 2012 10:07:34 AM

5. woof.
    Don't Cry For Me, Puerto Rico!
    I have a sense that his interpretation will not mimic Patinkin's, and that he just may knock it out of the park, on his own. Wishing him the very best.

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Mar 9, 2012 10:38:59 AM

6. I hope he doesn't try to mimic Mandy Patinkin, but rather puts his own stamp on the role. Taking cues from prior performances can be good but trying to "recreate" the original leaves all unsatisfied. Trying to create the role afresh is good.
    BTW we saw the sad attempt of Mandy and Patty Lupone concert at the Ahmanson last year, both should not be trying to sing publicly any more. Neither could hit anything resembling the actual notes; instead there were multiple alternate notes and breath breaks to allow aging stars to cash in one more time which was all we saw. The orchestral swell often covered the scratched attempts. Maybe they can get away with recordings with allow for errors to be fixed but not live performances.
    Back to the matter at hand. I hope the director allows Ricky Martin to have fun with the role--so many times the director's vision is the issue. We were talking with Victor Garber after his performance in Damn Yankees in SD (before going to Broadway) which was George Abbott's last directorial endeavor; stylistically we felt the show and the roles were a bit dated but he said that was how George Abbott wanted it. Remember that when we see Ricky in the role.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 9, 2012 1:29:46 PM

7. Ay, Papi! Where can I get one of those?

Posted by: FFS | Mar 9, 2012 2:38:15 PM

8. @MARKUS I needed the laugh. Thanks (gagging, choking, gut-laughing, eyes blurry with giggle-induced tears).

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 9, 2012 3:38:19 PM

9. Love el Ricky- but really in that shot he looks like Che is headed for Splash not Argentina.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 9, 2012 5:51:33 PM

10. I'll be six rows from Ricky in 5 days and I cannot wait!

Posted by: John Simpson | Mar 9, 2012 7:02:51 PM

11. Little Ricky is all grown up and damn he looks fine!!!!

Posted by: jack | Mar 10, 2012 2:17:00 AM

12. YA KNOW WHAT.....PATTI LUPONE AND MANDY PATINKIN ARE "OLD" HASBINS AND NEED TO MOVE ASIDE AND LET THE YOUNGER GENERATION HAVE A CHANCE AT BROADWAY AND MOVIES. MANDY'S SON IS TRYING TO GET INTO THE BUSINESS AND NO ONE IS SAYING A WORD ABOUT THAT. MANDY.....YOU ARE AN ARROGANT SELF-ABSORBED JEW AND NEE TO SHUT UP AND THAT GOES FOR PATTI LUPONE AND HER FRIGGIN ITALIAN MOUTH. YOU BOTH HAD YOUR DAY IN THE SUN NOW GIVE SOMEONE ELSE A CHANCE. WHAT A BUNCH OF HASBINS.....RICKY.....YOU GET A "A" FOR EFFORT. THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU, KIDDO. FRIG MANDY AND PATTI........

Posted by: MAYDAY | Mar 18, 2012 6:45:49 PM