David Archuleta | Mormon | News

So Long, David Archuleta: VIDEO

DavidArchuletaMission
Well, that's that. American Idol runner-up David Archuleta is now officially a Mormon missionary.

The 21-year old singer embarked yesterday on his two-year journey, starting with basic missionary training, but not before leaving his fans a farewell video.

"It's been a very emotional last week," he said. "[This is] a decision everyone knows about but it's a very personal thing and I wanted to keep it that way. So I hope you guys respect that, and you guys have so I appreciate that." Archuleta will be back in two-years after serving in an undisclosed location.

You can watch Archuleta bid adieu, AFTER THE JUMP. His hair, despite all the high drama, does not look that short.

Comments

1. David, make sure this is something YOU want to do, not something that is decided for you. As long as it is your decision, I totally support it. Best of luck to you. You can restart your singing career when you return.

Posted by: devinjgray | Mar 29, 2012 9:20:00 AM

2. When he "returns" no one will care anymore.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Mar 29, 2012 9:37:21 AM

3. I mean no disregard, but why is David Archuleta a news item on Towleroad? He's not gay, has never stood up for any GLBT causes, and he's a Mormon.

Posted by: LD | Mar 29, 2012 9:37:22 AM

4. I hope he finds himself! For years he has been pushed by his father, and surrounded by those who want something from him. This might be what he needs, to be on his own where he can grow as a person and meet others of different cultures and backgrounds, making HIS OWN decisions. I wish him luck.

Posted by: CB | Mar 29, 2012 9:40:41 AM

5. Yeah, I really don't care how famous people end up wasting their time.

Posted by: JD | Mar 29, 2012 9:42:46 AM

6. I agree with LD. Archuleta is young, cute and has some gayish characteristics, but nothing that makes him relevant to the gay community. In fact, he has drank the coolaide served by the Mormon church and the LDS organization is battling with Rome over who can be the most anti-gay. David is a willing part of that machine.

Hopefully his mission will take him far away from, what seems to be, an over bearing father. If he is gay, I hope he comes to terms with it, but I doubt that he will ever come out publicly. His family, his upbringing and his desire for fame will prevent a public announcement.

Posted by: Chadd | Mar 29, 2012 9:45:39 AM

7. Two words come to mind. "Brain" and "washed".

Posted by: stingo | Mar 29, 2012 9:45:58 AM

8. Setting aside all facets of religion, at least this decision will enable him to grow (somewhat) and be far away from his controlling and overbearing stage dad.

Posted by: S. | Mar 29, 2012 9:45:59 AM

9. Oh Scarecrow, I think Andy will miss you most of all. ;)

Another 15 minutes of reality fame gone with most of them. Apparently he won't be able to appear on Marie's soon to be short lived talk show since he'll be "away".

Posted by: mak136 | Mar 29, 2012 9:47:27 AM

10. I love David and will miss him! As someone who was raised Mormon, I wish him well. I didn't serve a mission, but nearly every person I knew who went did not regret it, including my gay Mormon friends.

Posted by: Evan | Mar 29, 2012 9:50:10 AM

11. LD, I think there are two possible reasons why this is on the site: 1) some slices of the demographic might find this kid CUTE, and that's a hit-generator (as disappointing as that is), and 2) even from this one video, it's pretty obvious that this kid is, in fact, gay (and, obviously, in the mother of all denials about it) - but I agree: I'd much rather see the space go to a legal update, or one of those mind-blowing NASA geek-fests the site's so good at!

Posted by: steve donoghue | Mar 29, 2012 9:53:09 AM

12. I guess once he is done with "reorientation therapy" he'll be back.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 29, 2012 9:56:59 AM

13. What this man is doing is going out into the world determined to convince people of other religious traditions to join his gay-bashing and hating cult. You can't get married in CA today because of this religion. So some of you are wishing him well. Amazing.

Posted by: Joey | Mar 29, 2012 9:59:51 AM

14. As an ex-Jehovah's Witness who did a "mission" as well, I hope this will let him get away from his family and normal surroundings and help him ponder himself and his life. Depending on where he goes, etc.. it can bring him one step closer to coming out of the closet.

Posted by: Tonic | Mar 29, 2012 10:00:03 AM

15. Sounds like he might be trying gay aversion...still young enough to think it's a bad habit he can avoid with discipline

Posted by: Jack | Mar 29, 2012 10:00:12 AM

16. Insert Missionary position joke here. Who cares? the religion is a homophobic cult,(having read diaries of Joseph Smith's neighbors for an academic paper trust me the founder was a fraud). For him to be a good member he must adhere to an anti-gay agenda since the church does not allow for dissent. why is he news here?

Posted by: terry | Mar 29, 2012 10:00:25 AM

17. Mormon Missionary = Queer.

Posted by: Sam_I_Am | Mar 29, 2012 10:01:47 AM

18. Maybe he can star in a production of "The Book of Mormon" once he's done with his mission? ;-)

Posted by: JSH | Mar 29, 2012 10:02:39 AM

19. I used to date a Mormon. He left the church after a young boy he went on a mission with killed himself. They'd been found in bed together and the boy's father was very high up in the church. He was excommunicated from the church and had to leave home. Kicked out onto the street. For Mormons their family and church are their entire lives. Without them, many who've been excommunicated find it very difficult to deal. Sad, sad story. However, when I asked my (then) bf how the suicide made him feel he said: "Feel? He got caught. What did he expect?" We broke up soon after.

Posted by: Gigi | Mar 29, 2012 10:07:15 AM

20. He's gay and being brainwashed into this by a domineering dad. Sad. It's gay-related for sure.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Mar 29, 2012 10:08:10 AM

21. I had a really close group of mormon friends in college who used to tell me stories about going on their mission. One of the Caribbean islands. They used to ditch their chaperon and then spend the day at the beach, chasing girls and all around enjoying themselves, then get dressed and tell their chaperon all about "spreading the word" all day. It got them away from their parents and their church and let them see the world and other ideas for the first time in their lives.

Maybe David will be lucky enough to be sent to a country with a thriving gay community. Hopefully for him, and in the long run, us.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Mar 29, 2012 10:09:50 AM

22. Two years as a "missionary" in South America...it is not the end of the world. A whole life being directed and controlled by the the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints....now that is a bit harder to swallow.

Posted by: excy | Mar 29, 2012 10:10:31 AM

23. DListed always calls him "Fetus Archuletta" if there's a story. LOL. It's so true. He'll look like a 45 year old twink.

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 29, 2012 10:11:07 AM

24. 2 years in the entertainment industry is a Lifetime......good luck trying to revive your career....you'll be yesterdays,and last yrs news.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Mar 29, 2012 10:13:44 AM

25. Another one bites the dust....glazed over.

Posted by: kelehe | Mar 29, 2012 10:18:56 AM