News | Richard Hayne | Transgender | Urban Outfitters

Urban Outfitters Hawks 'Charming' Card About a 'Closet Tranny'

Urban

Urban Outfitters is being called out on Reddit for selling what they describe as a "charming" homophobic, transphobic card.

The card has "sold out" according to the Urban Outfitters website, but you can see it above.

Up until January 9, Urban Outfitters had an openly gay CEO, Glen Senk. But he stepped down, making way for the company's chairman and co-founder Richard Hayne to step up as CEO.

And I guess now is as good a time as any to remind everyone of Hayne's political leanings. Here's what This is Money UK wrote about him back in 2008:

"Shopping in Urban makes you feel like you are somewhere radically Left-wing, an antidote to the corporate blandness of The Gap. But Hayne is a stanch conservative who donates money to Republican politicians, not least Rick Santorum, a now failed Senator whose views on homosexuality are both bizarre and old-fashioned. Hayne doesn't give many interviews precisely because he's afraid that college slackers who get to know him will suddenly realise that buying his clothes is like giving cash to George Bush. Once described as projecting a 'Dick Cheney-esque aura of no-nonsense grayflannel gravitas', Hayne must be the only retailer whose expansion plans depend on no one finding out who he really is. Despite the strife in the sector, Urban just beat Wall Street profit expectations yet again. So far, the illusion is holding up perfectly."

Comments

1. The only offensive thing in this card is that the tranny is "closet." Be proud!
    I am trangendered and I hate it when all the politically correct types complain about using the word tranny. I call myself a tranny. As RuPaul recently said, "I love the word 'tranny.' Don't take life so seriously!"

Posted by: keating | Mar 19, 2012 1:12:06 PM

2. I'm less worried about the card -- although I think some would find it insensitive -- than the fact that the 'closet' CEO is a Santorumite. If the success of the brand depends upon the target audience not knowing who the CEO is and what he stands for, then I guess it is up to us to make it known. And I'm crossing UO off my shopping-list.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Mar 19, 2012 1:28:49 PM

3. I have to agree with the above comments. The card is not offensive, at least not to anyone with a sense of humor. It's been known for years that the owner is ultra-conservative, which is more offensive for me.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 19, 2012 1:48:52 PM

4. Does it get anymore lame than Urban Outfitters? And over-priced?

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 19, 2012 1:49:38 PM

5. It has long been known that Urban Outfitters supports far-right Republican causes. I used to shop there for small things like throw-pillows and curtains but after learning where my money was going I stopped, and that was back in the 1990s.

So yes, please get the word out about how the seemingly trendy Urban Outfitters actually supports hateful, regressive political causes. They are NOT friends of the gay community or of women's rights.

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 19, 2012 1:52:32 PM

6. as if we needed another reason to boycott this company.

young'uns take note!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 19, 2012 1:58:27 PM

7. 'staunch' conservative, not 'stanch' conservative.

Posted by: anon | Mar 19, 2012 2:03:11 PM

8. Still waiting for the dust to settle on the use of "tranny." Is it a word that belongs to trans folks, and others should avoid or use only with caution (kinda like gays calling each other "queen")?

As a side note, I first heard this limerick from the mouth of a drag queen.

Posted by: Joel | Mar 19, 2012 2:03:43 PM

9. UA are a bunch of sleazebag ripoff artists who brazenly and blatantly steal designs from small artists, banking on those artists' inability to afford good legal counsel for trademark defense (see: Johnny Cupcake for Exhibit A).

This is right in keeping with their total disregard for anything resembling civic-mindedness or community. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Mar 19, 2012 2:13:24 PM

10. Why does Urban Outfitters not get the attention from the gay community like Chick-fil-a does? Urban Outfitters would suffer far more from that kind of publicity than what CFA is going through.

Posted by: Evan | Mar 19, 2012 2:20:34 PM

11. I had a good laugh at the card - and then read that it's supposed to be controversial! Please. It's a funny card. I can see some transexuals taking issue with the word "tranny" but I don't think the card is trans-phobic. And I have absolutely no idea what is supposed to be homophobic about the card.

Posted by: Frank | Mar 19, 2012 2:27:56 PM

12. crass...yes...funny...yes...Please don't lie and say you didn't laugh when you read it, I did...though I am not proud of it and I am completely pro transgender rights...the card is hilarious though! I know that I am a hypocrite, because if there was some racist card against Latinos I probably wouldn't laugh, so I can see the other side of it too.

Posted by: pedro | Mar 19, 2012 2:29:00 PM

13. i dunno. maybe to some the word "tranny" is inherently funny. i didn't find it funny or clever.

but hey, there's a world of people who flock to Larry the Cable Guy's stand-up acts.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 19, 2012 2:35:24 PM

14. Damn, wish I'd known this before I bought a box of Xmas from them last November.

Posted by: leprechaunvict | Mar 19, 2012 2:39:47 PM

15. At least they're acknowledging that Jack is interested in Jill's ass...

Posted by: BobN | Mar 19, 2012 2:42:37 PM

16. hey ladies,

Stanch is a variant of staunch. Both are o.k. Grey Gardens be damned! Fanny means something else in the U.K. (begins with c ends with t).

Posted by: Joe | Mar 19, 2012 2:49:56 PM

17. @BOBN: fanny means vagina, not ass. It's a British card.

Posted by: Andrew | Mar 19, 2012 2:53:25 PM

18. On a side note, the sub-reddit r/lgbt is almost cissexist/cisgenderist in their defense of the word "tranny." While I agree that people should not be called "tranny" if they don't want to, cisgendered people (those whose biological sex matches their gender identity) are, at times, referred to as "cissy." But, according to some people there (RobotAnna and Laurelai, for example), cisgendered people can't be discriminated against or harmed with words because we're the majority.

Long story short, r/ainbow and r/gay are much nicer sub-reddits to visit on that site. You have much less of a chance of being squelched there.

Posted by: John in Houston | Mar 19, 2012 2:54:51 PM

19. @Evan's comment. Amen! There should be a formal boycott of Urban Outfitters -- not just by gay people, but by everyone horrified by the Republithugs who want to turn the clock back to the 19th century or the Middle Ages or some mix thereof.
    Years ago, before one of the two elections that gave us Bush Jr, Urban Outfitters was peddling a t-shirt that basically said "Don't vote!" -- a message they wanted their young shoppers to take to heart, no doubt.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Mar 19, 2012 3:11:05 PM

20. Bahahahahahahaha! That's all. That card just made me bust out laughing. I never buy anything at UO. I look at stuff, laugh at the price and walk out.

Posted by: AJ | Mar 19, 2012 3:33:49 PM

21. If you plan on boycotting Urban, keep in mind that UO, Inc. includes not only Urban Outfitters, but Anthropologie, Free People, Terrain, and BHLDN as well.

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 19, 2012 3:36:03 PM

22. good grief. stop trying to hard to be offended

Posted by: tommy | Mar 19, 2012 5:27:24 PM

23. Lightened up - It's a funny stupid card- if it offends you don't buy it.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 19, 2012 5:50:46 PM

24. thanks, I needed a laugh today.

Posted by: Notkony | Mar 19, 2012 6:01:43 PM

25. I laughed at the card, but I can definitely see how it could be offensive to some.

I'm torn on boycotts; on one hand, I don't want to support, say, Chik-Fil-A's anti-gay agenda, or Urban Outfitters'. But at the same time, there are many more people in those companies that are NOT anti-gay that need money.

Posted by: Yuki | Mar 19, 2012 7:38:41 PM