Corey Johnson | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Corey Johnson Exploring Run for Christine Quinn's Seat on NYC City Council

Corey Johnson, who has worked as part of our team at Towleroad in past years, is exploring a run for NYC City Council, NY Observer's Politicker reports:

CjCorey Johnson, the chair of Community Board 4, has officially registered a campaign committee to run for term-limited Council Speaker Christine Quinn’s seat in 2013. Mr. Johnson, who is one of the youngest Community Board Chairmen in the city, previously worked as deputy director for programs at GLAAD.

He was among the expected candidates in the potential field that includes Yetta Kurland, an attorney who hosts her own radio show, Brad Hoylman, the chair of Community Board 2, and Andrew Berman, the executive director of the Greenwich Village Society for Historical Preservation.

Said Johnson: “I think any candidate who opens up a campaign committee is definitely exploring the race. I’m setting things up to be able to have the resources when things ripen a little more. 2013 is a long way away, we still have to get through the state and presidential elections.”

Comments

1. How do we join Team Corey?

Posted by: JeffNYC | Apr 2, 2012 12:35:39 PM

2. Brad Hoylman is a thoughtful, smart guy. He is by far the best of this group.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 2, 2012 1:07:31 PM

3. If you want to join Team Corey or make a contribution please email: [email protected]

Posted by: MM | Apr 2, 2012 1:11:54 PM

4. Where do I sign up?

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 2, 2012 1:44:04 PM

5. Community Board eh? He's not one of the NIMBY's is he? I would have to research his past actions and what he stands for. Is their a campaign site somewhere?

Posted by: intristin | Apr 2, 2012 1:54:26 PM

6. After watching him handle the Boxers' Fiasco, I think I rather support Yetta Kurland. She ran against Christine Quinn last time and was unafraid to call CQ on her term-limit flipflop.

Posted by: dsceiorg | Apr 2, 2012 2:08:07 PM

7. I met Corey once and I as much as I support LGBT candidates, he came off as a complete jerk. A few years ago I was at an Empire State Pride event. I was a little lost since it was my first time at such an event. I went up to him and asked him where the main ballroom was he. He told me that he wasn't the "help" in the most condescending tone, as if I was the jerk. I'll be giving my money to anyone running against him.

Posted by: rick | Apr 2, 2012 6:04:13 PM

8. I actually went to college with Brad and have known him for over 25 years. I will definitely be sending him a few bucks for his campaign.

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Apr 2, 2012 7:27:32 PM

9. The Unbearable Corruption of Being a NYC Council-person.

Posted by: Necromancer | Apr 2, 2012 10:39:47 PM