Comic Books | Gay Marriage

BigGayDeal.com

Gay X-Man Northstar Inches Closer To Wedding

NorthStarKyle1

Marvel Comics has for months been hyping the 51st issue of Astonishing X-Men, in which gay X-Man Northstar is set to marry his boyfriend, the powerless Kyle. Kyle's lack of abilities has been putting a strain on their relationship, particularly when Kyle finds himself in trouble with underground monsters and the like.

But the men seem to patch things up in the current issue, number 49, and appear well on their way to tying the knot in June.

Check out another snippet of Astonishing X-Men #49 AFTER THE JUMP.

NorthStarKyle

Comments

1. How many inches because I'm curious now?

Posted by: Alan | Apr 26, 2012 12:19:29 PM

2. That's commendable... but, uh, has the writing on X-Men comics always been that bad, or did I just not realize it when I read comics as a kid?

Posted by: endo | Apr 26, 2012 12:25:18 PM

3. Do the laundry?

Posted by: PDX Guy | Apr 26, 2012 12:46:06 PM

4. X-Men in the mid-80s was tremendous! It sort of all went to crap after Storm regained her powers (for me anyway).

Posted by: Michael W. | Apr 26, 2012 1:08:10 PM

5. O Canada!
    Our home and native land!
    True patriot love in all thy sons command.
    With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
    The True North strong and free!
    From far and wide,
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
    God keep our land glorious and free!
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
    O Canada, where even fictional characters can get married.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Apr 26, 2012 2:25:11 PM

6. I was reading X-Men and the associated Canadian comic AlphaFlight (where Northstar originated) in the mid-80s so I'm glad to see this development. However, in comic books being the human partner of a superhero isn't a good path to happiness and longevity. Hooking up with a hero is a shortcut to an agonizing death at the hands of his/her enemies, the better to create the "tortured hero" archetype.

So Mazel Tov to the happy couple, but you better use up those wedding present gift certificates quickly!

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 26, 2012 2:56:02 PM

7. As much as I like Kyle, I kinda had always wished that Northstar would have ended up with the former temporary X-Men Paulie Provenzano (unofficially codenamed Omertà) who was quite homophobic and antagonistic towards Jean-Paul during his single mission among the X-Men. Considering that most homophobes turn out to be gay themselves, I hoped that a writer would have revisited Paulie and revealed that he eventually came to terms with his sexuality leading him to try to make up for his past behavior towards Northstar leading them to eventually become an item.

Posted by: Keith | Apr 26, 2012 4:15:18 PM

8. Pfft. It's Marvel. Five bucks says they off Kyle the day of the wedding, before the vows can be said.

Posted by: Jennifer | Apr 26, 2012 11:11:26 PM

9. for anyone who isn't that familiar with Northstar... the bit about the laundry and cleaning is a cute in joke between the two of them. Northstar's power is super speed, so its actually great writing - I know if I had a BF with superspeed, I'd want him to do the boring chores in seconds - wouldn't you?

Posted by: fanboi | Apr 26, 2012 11:25:04 PM

10. also this was announced 2 weeks ago, not month ago.

Posted by: fanboi | Apr 26, 2012 11:26:38 PM

11. It's actually very good writing, in context. If you didn't read the pages preceding it, you can't really judge.

Posted by: Grant | May 3, 2012 8:36:51 PM

12. 1 - Inset "it's somenthing" meme here
    2- ....do the laundry rolf XDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Marc | May 3, 2012 8:57:32 PM

13. Really?? Do the laundry and all the cleaning? Give me a freakin' break! This is where Marvel totally blows it, no pun intended. Not only that but NorthStar, an obvious white super hero is demanding this of his obviously black boyfriend?

Give me Archie comics and Kevin Keller any time. At least there the African American husband is not delegated to cleaning and laundry - the guy is a doctor no less! No Marvel comics for my child!

Posted by: OS2Guy | May 3, 2012 11:22:38 PM

14. OS2GUY -- you missed the boat on that one: Kyle is talking, which is obvious if you look at where the tail on the dialogue balloon is pointing.

Posted by: Hunter | May 4, 2012 6:07:38 AM

15. I have to agree with Caliban, if Marvel doesn't give Kyle super powers, the relationship will be hard pressed to work. It's like marrying a wealthy man when you're poor, the relationship is out of balance and has potential to implode. here are some acceptable powers for Kyle: Teleportation, Telepathy/Telekenisis, Clairvoyant, or Pyro abilities. At least then we he has to fight Northstar in some future episode, it'll be a good battle. :)

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 22, 2012 3:27:38 PM