Hilary Rosen Apologizes To Ann Romney

HRosenRomney

Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen today apologized for saying on Anderson Cooper 360 that Ann Romney, wife of presidential candidate Mitt, was not a good source of economic policy because has "never worked a day in her life."

Here's what Rosen said in her statement of contrition.

Let’s put the faux ‘war against stay at home moms’ to rest once and for all. As a mom, I know that raising children is the hardest job there is. As a pundit, I know my words on CNN last night were poorly chosen. In response to Mitt Romney on the campaign trail referring to his wife as a better person to answer questions about women than he is, I was discussing his poor record on the plight of women’s financial struggles …

As a partner in a firm full of women who work outside of the home as well as stay-at-home mothers, all with plenty of children, gender equality is not a talking point for me. It is an issue I live every day. I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended. Let’s declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance.

The remark sparked an immediate firestorm, inspired Mrs. Romney to join Twitter and has the Democratic National Committee doing all it can to distance itself from Rosen.

Don't worry, though, Rosen; some other mini-scandal will come along and this will become a thing of the past. Or maybe people will just realize it was an off-the-cuff remark that doesn't deserve this level of outrage.

Comments

1. wtf says

but…she didn’t say anything wrong! Ann Romney lives an incredibly privileged life! And the DNC can’t back her on this? What the f#$% ever.

2. Tyler says

Please. If a conservative said the exact same thing, liberals would have pounced all over it too. It’s just hypocritical politics. Both sides are equally guilty.

3. says

she didn’t say anything worth apologizing for.

file Ann Romney’s upset in the large folder marked “rich white heterosexual christian millionaire’s problems”

4. say what says

all it takes is 1 competent reporter to ask Ann romney 1 question

“How many nannies & maids raised your children?”

5. says

@Tyler, you make no sense, but that’s ok. I know GayCons need to live in alternate realities in order to make it through each day.

Anyone ever see the 1970s film “Claudine”? methinks the hard work of that film’s heroine (the oscar-nominated Diahann Carroll) is just a tad bit different from the “hard work” of multi-millionaire Mrs. Romney.

She never had to worry about having a job to pay for possible medical expense for multiple children. She never had to wonder where the next meal or heating bill would come from. She never had to worry about being able to properly raise her kids while supplementing the income. She just had to worry about which nanny was watching her kids while she played tennis with the girls or went for a drive in one of her many cars.

it aint a hypocritically-different-set-of-rules, it’s a remarkably obvious different set of circumstances.

6. Tyler says

And here’s LittleKiwi. Who can’t go 5 minutes without bringing up how terrible white people are.

Please stop OBSESSING over race. It’s SO tired and boring.

7. sara says

As I said in response to the earlier story, she needed to apologize to get this story on the back burner. With Obama enjoying a huge gender gap, why create waves like this. Women don’t need others to point out the obvious–Ann Romney is a privileged woman & her experience is not the same as other working or non working women. You think women couldn’t figure this out on their own? Now we’re going to be subjected to endless Ann Romney on every talk show espousing her latest cause, the stay at home mom. Way to give her a platform now.

Before she was just talking about how stiff her husband was unless you unbuttoned his pants & everyone was pretty much ignoring or laughing at her. Now she’s the next nightline candidate wife. Rosen may be smart but she played poor doofus politics here & on Twitter at that.

8. gerry says

Little Kiwi brought up how terrible RICH people are, not white people. Methinks Tyler is the one obsessing over race.

9. says

i’m white 😀 from a middle-class family. my mom was a stay-at-home Mum, and raised my sister and i while my dad worked. when i was 12, and my sister 14, my mum was ready to get a job of her own as we were set and ready to take care of ourselves.

we’re all bloody aware of the privilege of that circumstance: we could live off my father’s income, and my mother didn’t need to take another job (or four) to supplement it. we also are Canadian, where our healthcare needs are covered via our taxes.

you’ll never catch my mother saying “oh, i had the hardest job ever staying at home and raising kids!”
    she’s too smart for that, and too aware that for a great many other mothers and fathers having a “stay at home parent” is in no way a financial possibility.

wise up, chump.

10. ratbastard says

POTUS re-election campaign is aiming for the female vote, especially the white soccer mom vote, to tilt the election in his favor. This is even publicly admitted. That comment was all about s*cking up to this demographic. Expect more. Nothing more than cynical politics.

And to the usual shills: No, I’m not a Romney fan nor am I Republican. Seriously, you shills need to get a life.

11. John says

@sara: well put.
    @gerry: yes kiwi did specifically bring up rich WHITE people – and it’s tiresome as always – reread his post.

12. Tyler says

@Gerry: learn how to read and take a look at Kiwi’s first post

@Kiwi: I know you’re white. And how you’re always apologizing for it.

13. says

know what’s tiresome? rich white people thinking they don’t have privilege in america. it’s boring, it’s tiresome, and it makes you look like complete idiots.

but hey, keep commenting via SockPuppets. way to change the world!! LOL

14. says

i don’t apologize for being white. you’re more than free to continue cowardly apologizing for being gay.

i’m aware of my privilege – i have empathy for those who don’t have it.

you’re unaware of your privilege, but aware of how you’re not accepted as gay, and your way is to suck up to the anti-gays in hopes they won’t direct prejudice at you.

may you one day grow a pair of actual testicles.
    until then, keep being a doormat. 😀

15. ratbastard says

@Little Canadian,

Rich people in general, not just rich WHITE people, have privilege. I see every day obnoxious, filthy rich Arabs from the Gulf States doing all kinds of sh*t and getting away with it. They aren’t ‘white’, at least in the way you mean white. Ditto rich Asians. And yes Little Canadian, there are rich, privileged blacks and Hispanics. Even Native Americans.

16. John says

One doesnt have to be rich or white or deny the privileges that come with being rich (and white) to find your overuse of the issue (and name calling) be tiresome and counterproductive.

17. Marcus says

to David E and SayWhat – ask how many nannies Elizabeth and Hillary hired – that would be TWO – I remember Elizabeth lamenting how hard it was to find good HELP.

18. ratbastard says

@Little Canadian,

An average ‘white’ [cracker, pink people, etc.] is no more privileged than an average person of any other ‘race’, at least in America. In fact, whites are legally discriminated against through Affirmative Action, i.e. Reverse Discrimination. It’s been in place for 40 years now in employment, education, etc. In fact, the U.S. federal government actually give $, tax credits, for each privileged minority employee and employer hires.

And of course poor whites are probably in a worse situation than poor blacks.

19. says

Yes, Sara, well put again.

@RB: If Hilary was “s*cking up to this demographic”, she wasn’t doing so very successfully. “This demographic” is in the bag for O already: The Obama campaign will get the women’s vote on the issues; distractions like this actually help the Republicans, if anyone. Though, more likely, it will be a soon-forgotten tidbit from the endless cycle of media faux-apologies.

This Hilary probably should have learned from the other one (where’s that text from Hillary when Hilary needed it?!): women criticizing other women rarely ends well in the media. Misguided Democrats always love to give the Republicans new opportunities to whine, “We’re the real victims! Wealth is so hard!”

20. TJ says

Average white person has no more privilege than person of color?

You don’t understand what privilege means. You don’t have to go through life proving yourself, being thought of as one of the good ones as opposed to the rest of your kind? Hmmm. Seems one could empathize with people of color, being gay and all, if one can relate at all to the concept of heterosexual privilege, that is.

Privilege is about all of the things you don’t have to think about, all the things you get to take for granted.

Just one small example: What color are Bandaids? Exempting the clear ones, of course.

21. Eric says

Republicans have entire TV networks spouting actual lies 24/7/365 and never apologize for a damn thing. Democrats roll over at the slightest provocation. No wonder the Dems come off as weak.

22. Polyboy says

The DNC are cowards. As long as they let Republicans control the conversation at will, they will effing fail.

23. ratbastard says

@TJ,

Pathetic response. And bandaids aren’t actually my color either. I owe nobody nothing simply because of their skin color or ethnicity. Nothing. I do not come form a privileged background. And the endless whining is child-like. Case closed.

======================

@Ernie,

This manufactured incident is all about the female vote, especially the soccer mom vote. Case closed.

24. JeffNYC says

It’s not just that this manufactured incident is all about the female vote–this entire election is all about the female vote too.

Hillary Rosen walked into a pile of dog doo and played right into the Republican response to Democratic accusations of the War on Women. They’ve been waiting for the right moment to say to their base, “We’re not waging a war on women–THEY are!”

Hillary Rosen should be smarter than that. She should know that you NEVER attack stay-at-home mom’ism. As a 21st-century feminist, she should know that.

25. gomez says

@tj. i get the idea of white privilege but band-aids? that’s the example you want to give? i think you can do better than that. band-aids are about market size and capitalism.

@jeffnyc. yup she stepped in it. she has a good point but presented it horribly and ham-handedly. while giving the regressives counter-amunition.

irony is that she’s a mom of two adopted kids.

and so another escalation in the rhetoric of the culture wars. the right will advance the agit-prop that dems are homosexual haters of the family and stay-at-home moms, etc

26. Marcus says

So now we find out that Elizabeth and Hillart had TWO nannies for the twins (the were busy after all!) while Ann had no nannies for 5 boys….oh vey!

27. SOLUS says

I think I saw Hillary Rosen in the Before After Stonewall Documentaries made some years back…she was great!
    Let’ give her a break because this election will be ugly enough.

28. TJ says

GOMEZ: That was just one example from “White Privilege: Unpacking The Invisible Backpack” by McIntosh. I’ve posted he link below. She lists 25 other points to ponder, of things white people generally get to take for granted. I listed it because it was an example of a little, everyday thing.

And RAT, I don’t ever expect to convince you of anything. If I did, that would make me truly pathetic.

29. Mary says

Glad she apologized. President Obama is not responsible for every word uttered by every prominent member of the Democratic party, and I can’t see how this one comment should be the basis for anyone’s vote. But it does reveal that liberals still have a problem with disrespecting homemakers. They don’t intend to be insulting. The problem is that a lot of them just truly believe that homemakers are wasting their time and “not doing anything” by being at home with children. Hillary Clinton’s baking cookies remark and Teresa Heinz Kerry’s comment about Laura Bush not ever having “a real job” were in this vein. Homemaking is not for every women,true. But it’s insulting and downright stupid to believe that homemakers are watching soap operas all day or playing tennis instead of doing real work. Yes, money helps when raising kids. But that’s true whether a mom works outside the home or only inside the home. And it was presumptuous to assume that Mrs. Romney hired nannies. Maybe the people who assume this are projecting their own belief that raising kids is so onerous that any woman who could would pay someone else to do it for her.

Episodes like this are exactly what the Democratic party needs to avoid – as I’ve been saying here for a number of months.

30. increasingly convinced that racism will diminish but never disappear says

ratbastard, you dirty racist.

and no that bottom pic symbolizes so, so much more than “just” bondage. it’s the many other things than anyone–you too, racists!–can learn at your local college’s African-American history department: ownership of blacks, routine ripping-apart of black families, sexual violence, community- and state-sponsored murder & maiming like lynching for starters, etc.) & *everything* else that’s followed.

31. George says

We all know that raising kids is one of the toughtet jobs. Especially if you are a single mom. (GOP taking those services to help poor away in budget) But please, Mrs. Romney raised those kids wiith maids, chefs, nannies, personal assistants, elevators for the cars and the average stay at home mom does not have those conveniences to make her life easier. Mrs. Romney is NOT the person to speak for workint mothers or stay at home moms.

32. says

@Rat: You misunderstood my comment, so, yes, case closed since your response didn’t make sense. Obama has the soccer Moms, he has women. No brainer. This incident, as you call it, isn’t necessary for the Dem’s. In fact it was foolish for the reasons Sara said. The Repub’s are now manufacturing outrage over it, scoring temporary points by once again playing the victim.

33. ratbastard says

Please CUT THE CRAP. Everybody on this planet has been a ‘victim’ at one point or another. My ancestors were victims of the Vikings who left their DNA in me probably by raping one of my distant ancestors. Then their land was stolen. Then many were forced into slavery and indentured servants, and were punished with death if they spoke their native language. So please lay the F off me. We’re living in the 21st century, not the 19th, 18th, etc. Time to grow up. Now today we have not only African Americans but ‘Hispanics’ considered oppressed victims and minorities in the U.S. Imagine that, some of the ancestors of the Spanish conquistadors are considered oppressed and entitled to reverse discrimination [Affirmative Action]! But my ancestors who never oppressed anyone, never invaded and took over others lands like [for example] the Spanish, Portuguese, English, never started any world wars, etc., are considered by some morons to be ‘privileged’ simply because they’re pale skin and northern European! Seriously, a few of you posters can go F yourself, you need to. But you’ll have to take your head out of your a** first.

=================

Today’s History Lesson:

Who was the first registered slave owner in the U.S. / English North American Colonies? A BLACK MAN named Antonio [Anthony] Johnson from Angola/Africa.

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Johnson_(colonist)]

34. ratbastard says

@tj,

Take your PATHETIC bourgeois ‘white guilt’ and stick where the sun don’t shine.

35. TJ says

RAT – No, but thanks just the same for you kind suggestion.

Bourgeois white guilt? That presumes a lot. Like that I didn’t grow up poor. Like that I haven’t had to earn everything I have. Like I haven’t lost opportunities because of Affirmative Action, and quotas. Like at one point, I wasn’t a registered Republican.

But then I got an education. I challenged my beliefs. It didn’t come easily. But I’m glad I went through that struggle.

36. ratbastard says

Like I said TJ, pathetic bourgeois white guilt. I guess I’m not bougie enough to fall for it. You have a right to sacrifice yourself and to feel guilty about things you had nothing to do with, just don’t FORCE your bourgeois white guilt onto others, especially with discriminatory laws. There, people like you cross the line.

37. says

I want to steer clear of the politics surrounding the statement. However, it has certainly unleashed the age old mommy war of whose job is the hardest. It’s the working moms versus the stay at home moms. I think we need to change our thinking a bit in regard to this debate. It’s a classist problem. What do I mean by this? I go into detail here: http://www.themommypsychologist.com/2012/04/12/mommy-wars-whose-job-is-more-difficult/

Feel free to check it out if interested.

38. Joe De Hoyos says

Hilary Rosen does NOT need to apologize. Sick of all the PC crap. Wolf Blitzer is an a-hole for pushing her so hard just to make “news” out of something that has little importance.

39. Gus says

Just so women know:

When your husband tells you, a stay-at-home mom, you have a harder job than he does, he doesn’t believe it. He also thinks your job is so much easier than the female co-worker who has to work and raise children.

He is just trying to get laid.

40. says

Hilary has nothing to apologize for. And her bosses should get a clue and realize that. She made one pointed comment to Ann Romney, and now she is being demonized? Please Ann has four maids who raised her kids and she comes from extreme privilege. No-one likes to here the rich whine about ‘how hard they have it’. No-one except for Tyler.