Chicago | Crime | Illinois | News

Illinois State University Student Speaks Out About Anti-Gay Assault Through Jaw Wired Shut: VIDEO

Unger

Illinois State University student Eric Unger was beaten over the weekend at the ISU campus in Normal by a group of men after having his cell phone knocked from his hand while walking home from a party on Saturday, the Sun-Times reports:

Eric Unger said he had just left a party and was walking home alone about 2:30 a.m. in the 100 block of West Willow Street when a group of men passed him from behind — and one of them knocked his phone out of his hand.

The 23-year-old from north suburban Deerfield, who is openly gay, said he asked the group, allegedly comprised of five to eight African-American males, “what their problem was.”

Unger said they responded with anti-gay slurs and surrounded him. He said he pleaded that he “just wanted to go home,” but the men attacked him, still hurling anti-gay epithets...

...Normal Police Sgt. Adam Kapchinske confirmed responding officers found Unger, a family relations major, injured, after an apparent beating. No one witnessed the attack, and the student did not mention his belief the attack was a hate crime in a police report, Kapchinske said, adding that an investigation is ongoing.

Unger's jaw is still wired shut, but he spoke to CBS Chicago about the attack.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Video may take some time to load...

Comments

1. I was a student at ISU back in the late 90's/early 2000, and it's sad to see things haven't changed much since then. Back then, one of the students in our theater department, who actually identified as straight, was beaten up by some guys as he was going home from a party, because they thought his shirt "looked gay."

Posted by: Kieran | Apr 25, 2012 10:38:00 AM

2. Just wanna snuggle him and make it better.

Posted by: Red assault | Apr 25, 2012 10:50:04 AM

3. Hmm. How many layers are there to our cultural bigotry? If the beatdown was not cuz of the victim's sexuality then it was for no reason. If eight gay guys beat a straigt guy down I'm sure we'd hear about it. If eight white guys beat down a single black guy we'd immediately have a national scandal with leading cheers from all the usual suspects.

Posted by: Marty | Apr 25, 2012 11:07:29 AM

4. So Illinois needs "Stand your ground" and Eric needs a gun.

Posted by: Ted | Apr 25, 2012 11:08:34 AM

5. "Class" , or perceptions of economic rank, are often triggers, too.

Some may see it as ethnic; a closer look would may very well reveal it to be (socio)economic.

Someone once said to me "if you're walking alone on a street and see four guys walking toward you, are you going to be more afraid of they're black or white?"

my reply was simply: "well, what are they wearing"?

I'm not scared of anyone wearing business suits, for example.

Doesn't matter what colour your skin is. Rethink perceptions.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 25, 2012 11:20:02 AM

6. Kieran - I was just about to write the same thing. That was one of my really close friends in college. He was beaten for wearing a silver shirt walking back to his dorm to meet his girlfriend that was coming in for the weekend.

I, too, am an alumni of ISU and last October was down there for homecoming and my partner came with. We were outside of a bar (Pub II) and a guy came up to him, called him a fa**ot and head-butted him and threw him into the street just because my partner wouldn't give him a lighter. ISU said nothing about this attack but the guy ended up serving a few days in jail and has 2 years probation and is not allowed to enter any bar in Bloomington/Normal.

It is sad that 10 years later, the same idiots are still attacking people (whether they are gay or not) for no reason.

Posted by: C.J. | Apr 25, 2012 11:40:36 AM

7. Kieran - I was just about to write the same thing. That was one of my really close friends in college. He was beaten for wearing a silver shirt walking back to his dorm to meet his girlfriend that was coming in for the weekend.

Posted by: C.J. | Apr 25, 2012 11:40:43 AM

8. Wow, I'm also an ISU alum and I don't recall any anti-gay attacks while I was a student there. I remember organizing the vigil after Matthew Shepherd was killed and there was so much support for the gay community. We also started the yearly ISU Pride Drag Show while I was a student there. This doesn't sound like the ISU I know and love at all!

Posted by: erik | Apr 25, 2012 12:02:17 PM

9. I just don't understand why you would attack someone for no reason like this. I can't fathom the perspective of this group of evil men.

Posted by: Nate | Apr 25, 2012 12:02:23 PM

10. @Marty Great observation and totally true. To pretend there was no racial motive in this instance is to bury your head in the sand.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 25, 2012 12:20:40 PM

11. Justice for Trayvon. If Obama had a son, he wouldn't look like YOU, jerk.

Posted by: MarkUs | Apr 25, 2012 12:29:27 PM

12. Good old reliable racists. Can't just be sad that something like this happened to this poor kid, you have to pollute it with casual racism.

How about this: Trayvon Martin has NO BEARING ON THIS INCIDENT.

And you are an ass for trying to make it so.

Posted by: Polyboy | Apr 25, 2012 12:40:36 PM

13. Nate, they do it to get their rocks off, they feed off instilling fear into others and causing calamity. Also to establish power. Both within their packs, to themselves, and to society, as well as to the group of the victim they are attacking.

Example: inner city thugs (and they can be black, white, whatever, as Kiwi put it, this is much more about class than race) see a suburban looking, clean-cut, young guy, maybe a bit scrawny appearing. That alone makes you a target, regardless if you say or do anything to these thugs, because in their ignorant minds, you will look "gay" and therefore they will classify you as weak and easy target.

If you want something to blame, blame the hyper-masculine, patriarchal society we live in. The fact most who commit hate crimes have previous criminal records, are poor and generally uneducated are factors too. If you have nothing to do, are desensitized to violence and have been conditioned to hate gay people, why not gay bash?

Posted by: Francis | Apr 25, 2012 12:44:53 PM

14. Dear Gays, Can we have some "street-smarts" please? Everyone is aware that gays are targets across America,it's on TV all the time! So, you're 1. Walking home late at night 2. Walking by yourself 3. Are surrounded by people who are not of your race (although, it doesn't always matter) 4. And you're gay? The correct response to getting your phone knocked out of your hand is to leave it and turn the other way and get to safety. Run to the nearest populated area, scream your head off, not give them a reason to beat you up. Asses the situation before you open your mouth, especially if you have never been in a fight in your life! Sorry this happened to this guy. And, even if you do all the right things, you could still get beaten up, so never walk alone if you can help it.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Apr 25, 2012 12:46:04 PM

15. @POLYBOY Really? So in the Martin case, we are to assume a racial motive, despite there being no evidence of any....but in this case, we are supposed to assume there is no such motive.

And why is that?

To comply with the PC rules of the Far Left, of course, in which all racist or homophobic acts committed by anyone with black skin is rationalized away, while acts in which anyone with black skin is a victim of an action by someone who is not black--even if there is no proof of a racial motive and even if the black victim was a homophobe--are supposed to prick our consciences.

As I have said before, the Far Left and Far Right are mirror images of each other and are the biggest cause of this country's discord.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 25, 2012 12:46:34 PM

16. How about this: it's one of the many police documented attacks across the nation by blacks who yell or say exactly that exact phrase and you refuse to acknowledge it. Those little scamps. This guy probably did deserve it. Being rude.

Posted by: MarkUs | Apr 25, 2012 12:46:49 PM

17. George Zimmerman is recorded on the police call as referring to Trayvon as a "f***ing c**n"

Apparently that doesn't count as evidence of racism to the racists on this site.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 25, 2012 12:50:11 PM

18. When I was caught performing oral sex on our (black) maid's son when I was a teen, I told him to tell my parents that it was his idea because he was still a child, and an uneducated child of a maid, so he wouldn't get in trouble. He refused to and I've hated black people ever since.

Which is a shame, because black penises are the only things I could probably feel in my gaping bum. Because it gapes. And their penises are so big.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 25, 2012 12:52:57 PM

19. Town/Gown. Townies dislike the college 'kids'. And probably some class [and race] stuff going on also. Late night, alcohol, drigs, etc. doesn't help,either.

Thugs [I'll just call them that, race doesn't matter] pretty much think all 'clean-cut' college/yuppie guys are pu**ies and 'gay'. And many 'minority' ghetto dudes think all white 'boys' are 'f*ggots' and 'p*ssies'.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 25, 2012 12:53:47 PM

20. Oh Jay, even CNN walked back that lame duck and the expert said he was saying "f-ing COLD"
    Now don't you feel silly fermenting racial unrest by repeating he said c00n? Who says that since 1967 by the way.

Posted by: MarkUs | Apr 25, 2012 12:54:35 PM

21. It's been now proven Zimmerman said 'It's f*cking COLD', not 'c**n'. People at NBC lost their jobs because of this 'misunderstanding'. And actually, it was cool and rainy that night.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 25, 2012 12:57:21 PM

22. It was cool and rainy and Trayvon was black.

And Zimmerman, seeing a black man, decided that Trayvon was guilty of something. So he murdered him. But it's ok, because Zimmerman will be murdered himself if he doesn't get jail time. And I, for one, won't shed one tear.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 25, 2012 1:00:19 PM

23. I'm a graduate of ISU. Went there in the early '80's hoping to have a safe place to come out. The first night I was in the dorms, the guys on the floor headed out to throw rocks/yell epithets at the Gay People's Union (GPU) across the street. What can I say? I still think it's a horrible place.

Posted by: Mark Melton | Apr 25, 2012 1:00:45 PM

24. http://youtu.be/eGuctYqCDvo

"f***ing coons"

It sounds nothing like "cold", and other racist commenters insist he says "punks"

It sounds nothing like COLD or PUNKS. Because he says COONS.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 25, 2012 1:03:23 PM

25. Oh Rick, you stupid son of a syphilitic cow, why don't you just trot out that sock puppet chorus, because nothing you say actually lines up with reality and you need your sybils to have someone to agree with.

Posted by: Polyboy | Apr 25, 2012 1:22:09 PM