Baseball | News | Sports

MLB Pitcher Brandon McCarthy Condemns Kiss Cam Homophobia

Mccarthy

Brandon McCarthy, a pitcher for the Oakland A's condemned stadium "kiss cam" operators yesterday in a series of tweets. McCarthy has had enough of camera operators trying to get laughs out of stadium crowds by featuring two presumably heterosexual men.

Wrote McCarthy:

"They put two guys on the 'Kiss Cam' tonight. What hilarity!! (by hilarity I mean offensive homophobia). Enough with this stupid trend...the implication is that two guys kissing is funny. That's offensive to gay males...Plus, it's cheap sh*tty comedy so it sucks on that level as well."

Mccarthy1

Mccarthy2

(via nbc sports)

Comments

1. It is funny, relaaaax.

Posted by: Marco P | Apr 20, 2012 11:42:09 AM

2. Good for him!

Posted by: Vito | Apr 20, 2012 11:48:15 AM

3. I agree with him. It is homophobic. And I commend him for saying something when there's such insane homophobia in sports. It's great to see guys like him finally saying something.

Posted by: MAX | Apr 20, 2012 11:48:37 AM

4. Has the Kiss Cam ever shown an actual gay or lesbian couple who kissed sincerely? Not that it makes a difference, I'm just curious.

Posted by: endo | Apr 20, 2012 11:54:44 AM

5. Since my husband and I attend A's games fairly regularly, the Kiss Cam joke just might back fire one day.

I agree with McCarthy, the shits not funny. I admire him for coming out publicly against homophobia.

Posted by: Kevin | Apr 20, 2012 12:00:35 PM

6. Excellent!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Apr 20, 2012 12:01:16 PM

7. I've never seen what he is talking about, but he now has a lot of respect from me! What a great guy :)

Posted by: Lucas | Apr 20, 2012 12:10:04 PM

8. It's so great to see that he's speaking out against this. It is so important to have pro athletes talking about homophobia in a public setting.

Posted by: Heather | Apr 20, 2012 12:10:53 PM

9. The trend of major league athletes coming out against homophobia is pretty awesome. Not something I could have a imagined 5-10 years ago. Bravo, Mr. McCarthy!

Posted by: Smartypants | Apr 20, 2012 12:14:05 PM

10. Yes, it is a nice thing for him to say. But jocks are jocks. He is unaware of his own misogyny and homophobia. Straight women suck. Gay men suck. The use of the verb "to suck" in the derogatory is hurtful to women and gay men. In fact, if you wish to call servicing a woman orally sucking then it is derogatory of everyone who has ever performed oral sex. But that is not who it is aimed at is it? It is aimed at gay men.
    I hate jocks.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 20, 2012 12:23:12 PM

11. Good on him.

It's like the newish Subway commercial with two guys eating the Italian sub while dreaming of being in Venice. They're on a gondola, looking around, and eventually their eyes lock. Immediately, the fantasy ends and one says to the other, "catch the game last night," to which the other exclaims, "of course!"

Sure, the commercial might give most people a little chuckle and I'm not calling for a ban on Subway, but it's little messages like this example that continue to inject subconscious homophobia into people by telling them "gay is not okay."

Posted by: kpo5 | Apr 20, 2012 12:24:11 PM

12. I applaud his activism on our behalf but I think the kiss cam is kinda cute, especially if the guys carry through with it.

Posted by: Michael W. | Apr 20, 2012 12:26:07 PM

13. Good for him.

Also, H8STR8S, your comment is weird and kind of sucked. lol

Posted by: matt | Apr 20, 2012 12:34:44 PM

14. @H8STR8S, Don't be ridiculous. You say "if you wish to call servicing a woman orally sucking then it is derogatory of everyone who has ever performed oral sex" - but if the term applies to everyone equally how can it be discriminating? To say 'that sucks' does not even imply what is being sucked. Ever heard 'Go suck eggs' or 'Go suck a lemon'? I think this guy is right on the money.

And what's up with your name, anyway? That's far more offensive than saying 'sucks'. I wonder how your straight family members would feel about that. Come to think of it, you suck.

Posted by: Brim | Apr 20, 2012 12:40:07 PM

15. Can someone explain to me like I'm a five year old - what on earth is H8STRS talking about? And his name is H8STR8S? Seriously?

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Apr 20, 2012 12:43:00 PM

16. @brim
    Not everyone has performed oral sex. The verb "to suck" used in the derogatory would then just be sex-hating in general. I don't think servicing a woman orally is sucking. I was anticipating somebody bringing up that one could call it sucking.
    You are self-loathing.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 20, 2012 12:52:40 PM

17. @leroy laflamme
    Evidently you are too stupid to understand.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 20, 2012 12:55:52 PM

18. @matt
    you are kinda ignorant and self-loathing.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 20, 2012 12:56:22 PM

19. Well, H8STR8S sees a man, presumably heterosexual, stand up for gay people and thinks that that person could never possibly understand what it is like to be gay. But that's a presumption on his part. My presumption would be that H8STR8S seems to have had some bad experience with jocks. He says 'Jocks are jocks' which is an empty logical truism. He then says that McCarthy is unaware of his hatred for women and homosexuals, the implication being that jocks on a deeper level hate women and homosexuals. So a person like H8STR8S then starts to scan everything that McCarthy says thinking that this hidden hatred will resurface in other ways - like saying that something 'sucks'. So then H8STR8S analyzes the meaning of 'sucks' and tries to link it to homophobia in some way.

But I think that while people cannot know what it is like to be gay, they can certainly know how gay people are treated and see that it is wrong on many levels.

Posted by: Brim | Apr 20, 2012 1:00:17 PM

20. The term "sucks" to describe something bad originally comes from "go suck an egg", meaning suck the insides out of a rotten egg, a presumably sulfuric and unpleasant experience. Only in the mid-80s or so did it somehow morph into meaning oral sex.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Apr 20, 2012 1:00:36 PM

21. @H8STR8S, I have sucked and I enjoy sucking so why would that be derogatory? I think your mental health is a little off kilter? Everyone says "that sucks" when they don't like something and I have never heard anyone be offended by it. Did you just pull this imagined slur out of your ass?

Posted by: Lucas | Apr 20, 2012 1:01:26 PM

22. um dude, leave the gay ghetto once in a while...not everything in life has to be viewed through the prism of homo-sameness. Purporting to hate straight people for no other reason than they are straight renders your argument arbitrary and meaningless - not that it was on good footing to begin with. Saying some one is self loathing because they disagree with your political slant is likewise, equally spurious. Opinions such as yours do as much damage to the gay community as the worst homophobe on his best day of gay bashing.

Posted by: sense and sensibility | Apr 20, 2012 1:10:30 PM

23. Dear gawd, doesn't this site have enough trolls without someone new calling himself H8Str8s?

Posted by: endo | Apr 20, 2012 1:32:30 PM

24. @brim
    Bravo. Almost a perfect analysis. The only mistake you make is thinking that my hatred of this jock drives my hatred of the verb "to suck" in the derogatory. I have hated that since I was young enough to know what it meant and that I liked doing it. Honestly, in the mid 70's there was no doubt whatsoever what a guy meant when he said to another guy "You suck!" I can forgive younger people not being vicerally aware of the term's recent history.
    I h8str8s. It is a position I take not as firmly as I did before I first visited this website, but one I still hold. I look with a juandiced eye on anything a straight person says or does. I look for any reason to hate them. It is just where I'm at right now. Jackfkntwist is a cool guy as far as I can see and he said he felt guilty for liking my handle... I don't think he would agree with most of what I say. He is far to nice a guy. But he understands why I might feel this way. Maybe he appreciates turnabout is fair play even when it is blind unreasonig hatred. I am entitled to say what I please here because this is anonymous.
    Anonymous is good. It encourages free speech. If I didn't say these things, I couldn't hear counter arguments and learn to become less bitter.
    Is it not so?

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 20, 2012 1:36:17 PM

25. @sense and sensibility
    I called the guy self-loathing for using a homophobic slur when he purports to be gay.
    Your position that who I am is sequitur to my resoning is an ad hominem. You are arguing from position. Learn something about logic before you try to argue with terms like "spurious."

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 20, 2012 1:39:02 PM