2012 Election | Barack Obama | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Law - Gay, LGBT

Obama Summarizes Progress Toward LGBT Equality

Maybe to coincide with his endorsement of the Student Non-Discrimination Act and the White House's screening of Bully on the National Day of Silence, or maybe to divert attention from his unwillingness to sign an executive order banning workplace discrimination against LGBT folk, President Obama and co. have taken to Twitter to explain what the Obama White House has done for the cause of LGBT equality. It's quite a lot:

LGBT_Timeline_web-v8

Comments

1. Flame away, but I think this is a decent record in 4 years.

Posted by: Terry | Apr 21, 2012 12:16:43 PM

2. Seeing Romney is tied in the polls with Obama, we need to back off and quit whining.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 21, 2012 12:25:24 PM

3. If you don't want to vote for President Obama because you think he hasn't been strong enough on LGBT equality, vote for his 2-3 SCOTUS appointments in the next term.

Posted by: kpo5 | Apr 21, 2012 12:30:06 PM

4. The bottom line on all of this is that Obama has done a decent job for gay rights. Could he have done more, certainly - but considering the nutjobs which are the GOP; it would be insane to do anything which would enable Romney of all people to become POTUS. He has to walk a fine line to keep the base energized yet not worry the moderates. Of course the GOP base will never vote for him regardless... Personally, I can't imagine why ANYONE would vote for Romney... he is the poster child for pandering hypocrisy.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 21, 2012 12:30:58 PM

5. good points - remember - ALL Presidents do the things in their 2nd term they couldn't in their first terms... you have to play things right to get reelected, THEN the game changes. Like it or not, it's the way the game goes.

So if everyone wouldn't mind voting to make sure we don't get a crazy in office, and then, after a successful reelection you can work for the change we want to see. Romney won't push for a progressive social agenda. You know it. Don't let him win the office.

Posted by: iowan | Apr 21, 2012 12:38:14 PM

6. I'm posting this on my the FB wall of my Log Cabin "friends".

Posted by: Daniel | Apr 21, 2012 12:44:06 PM

7. Thank you Obama. Lord only knows what three years of a McCain/Palin administration would(n't) have brought us.

Posted by: Andrew | Apr 21, 2012 12:46:43 PM

8. The first term is always about getting the second term...when the POTUS can really do what they want.

Watch. If re-elected, Obama will "evolve" to marriage equality very quickly.

Posted by: QJ201 | Apr 21, 2012 12:50:49 PM

9. And yet the man says he is against gay marriage. Not interested in anything else he has "done" for the community. Marriage equality is the only issue that matters to me. I think soldiers are bad so Whoopti-do we have the right to be open about our sexuality when we commit war crimes for a completely corrupt government that has made us into second hand citizens. Now we get to be out when we die for a country that doesn't respect us. Oh, hooray.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 12:53:14 PM

10. H8STR8S: Marriage equality is the only thing that matters to you? What a narrow view of the world! Who would marry you, anyway?

Posted by: Asher | Apr 21, 2012 1:06:04 PM

11. Could Obama have done more for us? Sure, and I've been disappointed by his refusal to endorse marriage equality. I've never been Obama's biggest fan, and voted for Hillary in the primary. But the simple fact remains that we have made far more progress under Obama than we ever did under Bush, or would have under McCain/Palin, and will continue to make more progress under Obama than under a Romney presidency.

Posted by: John B. | Apr 21, 2012 1:13:13 PM

12. @asher
    Well, I've been with the same wonderful guy for 21 years, I think I've got a pretty good chance with him. Why should I care about anything but Marriage equality? I retired at the age of 25 so workplace discrimination is not my problem. I can't lose my housing because of homophobia. I'm constantly insulted by the rest of the gay community, so I am not interested in anything which advances gay rights that doesn't effect me personally. As far as I can see, the rest of the community is rather facist in it's attacks on any member with politically incorrect viewpoints. I have never been reasoned with here, only attacked, when I never attack another member of the community. I couldn't care less if all the rest of you died. I have my lover and my comfy life and I don't give to gay causes because everyone else in the community are jerks.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 1:17:21 PM

13. @John B.
    Well though out and unoffensive. Good reasons to vote for the guy even though I hate him. If I thought for a moment his stance on marriage equality was political rather than heart-felt I might vote for him in spite of what I've said to Asher. However I believe he is against gay marriage because the black culture is extremely homophobic and he is black. I assume he is extremely homophobic and only paying lip service to us because the party is forcing him to. If it were up to him, I hate to imagine what would happen to us. Probably concentration camps.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 1:21:55 PM

14. H8STR8S:

Greetings. I just wanna point out, re: your last comment, that Obama backed full marriage equality when he was a legislator in Chicago -- and that was when his constituency was almost completely black. He only changed his position when he had to attract at least a few votes in milquetoasty middle America.

Thanks for reading,
    - BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorpp | Apr 21, 2012 1:26:09 PM

15. I won't say I'm not disappointed that marriage equality isn't endorsed or a reality (impacted as a bi-national couple), but I understand politics and the reasons for it. As a community, it would be political suicide to let all the things accomplished over the last 3+ years be reversed by a Romney administration. While we need to keep the pressure on Obama and push him and the administration to do more, we have to clearly and squarely put our support behind him for re-election and even more progress in the next 4 years. GO OBAMA/BIDEN'12!

Posted by: KELL | Apr 21, 2012 1:27:02 PM

16. Glad to know you're such a caring, big ole softy there, H85TR85

Posted by: Travis | Apr 21, 2012 1:27:29 PM

17. If Marriage equality is the only issue for you, then I would vote for Obama. Obama opposes all efforts to limit states rights on marriage equality. He also supports repeal of DOMA to allow federal recognition of same sex marriage in states where it is legal. By not voting for Obama, you help get Romney elected who wants no same sex marriage in any state.

Posted by: JP | Apr 21, 2012 1:29:53 PM

18. @ BKT
    Thank you for that information. It is very surprising to me. I didn't follow him back then and so I didn't know that. I will have to think about it and consider what that means about him and my own viewpoint. It seems as though I was ignorant of pertinent data. Thank you for saying it nicely. You are not being a facist.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 1:37:18 PM

19. @JP
    I thought Eric Holder was directed to defend DOMA in court. It wouldn't need to be repealed if it were overturned. Obama could direct Holder not to defend it on the grounds the government agrees it is unconstitutional. Have I got that all wrong? Is Holder attacking it on that basis? Or is the whole stand for repeal just a safe politcal position he is holding? He did the same with DADT. He left it up to the congress when he could have signed an executive order. He looks like he is dragged kicking and screaming into everything he has supposedly "done for the community." I believe the future of gay marriage is in the courts not in the executive branch whoever resides there. History is on our side and Romney nor anyone else is going to stop marriag equality. In the meantime, I can't see voting for somebody oficially against gay marriage. Won't do it.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 1:42:57 PM

20. I'm still evolving on Obama...I'm not voting for him until he signs the anti-discrimination executive order on the dotted line and fully supports me and my husband's marriage.

Posted by: Jim Kelly-Evans | Apr 21, 2012 1:43:17 PM

21. I believe that the Justice department dropped the defense of DOMA and it is now being defended by an attorney appointed by the Republican led House of Representatives.

Posted by: JP | Apr 21, 2012 2:00:42 PM

22. Yes... I was right. The Obama team decided DOMA is unconstitutional and is not defending it... http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2011/03/04/134268656/boehner-house-will-defend-doma-courts-not-obama-should-decide

Posted by: JP | Apr 21, 2012 2:03:35 PM

23. @ JP

You are correct.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Apr 21, 2012 2:10:10 PM

24. @JP
    Very good. Thank you. I said I wasn't sure about all that. I only heard about it periferally. So thank you. Boy I am just full of ignorance today! I have to do some rethinking here. Thank you for not insulting me personally. It makes it possible for me to hear you when you reason with me.
    @BKT
    Obama was running for president the moment he won his senate seat. He was running on a pro-equality platform in spite of his constituency because he was trying to get the aproval of the national party. If he had planned only to be a senator, I think he would have been more honest about his true feelings from the begining. He was only pro-marriage for attention, not out of any sincerity, or he would have stuck with it out of principle.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 2:20:51 PM

25. Mr Obama has my vote, for sure.

Posted by: jack | Apr 21, 2012 2:32:39 PM