Bradlee Dean | Rachel Maddow | Religion | Video

Rachel Maddow Strikes Back Against Silly Homophobe's Lawsuit

DeanCrazyLawsuit

Andy wrote some months ago about the bizarre lawsuit filed against Rachel Maddow and MSNBC by rocker, activist, Christian, bigot, and noted crazyperson Bradlee Dean. Maddow, Dean claimed, misrepresented some remarks he'd delivered on a radio program. (Watch the original Maddow segment AFTER THE JUMP.)

Here's how Dean's edited remarks appeared on Maddow's show:

Muslims are calling for the execution for homosexuals in America. ... They themselves are upholding the laws that are even in the Bible, the Judeo Christian God. They seem to be more moral than even the American Christians do. Because these people are livid about enforcing their laws, they know homosexuality is an abomination. ... If America won't enforce the laws, God will raise up a foreign enemy to do just that's what you're seeing in America today.

Here's what Dean actually said:

Muslims are calling for the execution for homosexuals in America, this was just released yesterday and it shows you that they themselves are upholding the laws that are even in the Bible, the Judeo Christian God. They seem to be more moral than even the American Christians do. Because these people are livid about enforcing their laws, they know homosexuality is an abomination. And I continually reach out to the homosexual communities on this radio show, and I warn them, which ones love? Here you have Obama condemning it behind the backs of the homosexuals but to their faces he's promoting it. I say this to my gay friends out there the ones that continuously nitpick everything I say. Hollywood is promoting immorality and the God of the Heavens in Jesus names is warning you to flee from the wrath to come, yet you have Muslims calling for your execution. If America won't enforce the laws, God will raise up a foreign enemy to do just that's what you're seeing in America today. Read Leviticus 26 America.

(FYI: Dean has always asserted that he's not actually advocating the literal execution of actual gays -- a disclaimer which Maddow happily included in her segment.)

You'll note that the two quotes are identical in essence, though not in text. Nevertheless, Dean's suing MSNBC for $50 million. (He claims that the lawsuit's about principles, not cash.) Maddow and co. are now firing back: According to The Hollywood Reporter, they've hit Dean with an anti-SLAPP claim which could force him to pay their legal fees.

From the filing:

1. "One, the broadcasts truthfully reported on Dean’s May 15th statements. Those broadcasts re-played original audio of Dean speaking on the May 15th radio show. Dean does not – and cannot – allege that he did not make those controversial statements. The fact that NBCUniversal broadcast the essence but not the entirety of what Dean said during that radio show, as he now protests, does not change this analysis. Dean bears sole responsibility for the consequences of his words, however much he may try to distance himself from the backlash.

2. "Two, the commentary or rebuke Maddow offered about Dean’s statements was classic opinion and rhetorical hyperbole, and thus, cannot be actionable as a matter of law. As Dean is entitled to his opinions, however objectionable, so too is Maddow entitled to hers."

3. "Three, the fair comment privilege protects Maddow’s commentary. The broadcasts featured Dean’s actual statements and clearly indicated the source of those statements. Viewers were free to make up their own minds as to whether they agreed with Maddow’s remarks."

Comments

1. Very odd that in America you can be sued for Definition of Character.

Posted by: Azgaard | Apr 21, 2012 4:08:16 PM

2. Notice in Maddow's version she deletes his comments about Obama actualy being against us behind our backs but for us to our faces. I suppose she had nothing to say to that, now did she? I am not defending this crazy a$$hole. I am pointing out how sensitive Democrats are about their homophobic president.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 4:15:11 PM

3. The president that is most supportive of gay rights?

Posted by: Nate | Apr 21, 2012 4:30:47 PM

4. I've read the Bible and I could've missed this bit as it is long and it was about 20 years ago, but where does it say it's biblical law to kill homosexuals?

And as Christians are they've forgeting the law Jesus gave to us? "Love they neighbour as thyself"

Posted by: Andrew | Apr 21, 2012 4:30:58 PM

5. @nate
    The one who says "I'm against gay marriage" at every opportunity. Yes, that president.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 4:34:10 PM

6. @andrew
    Leviticus 20:13; "If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death, their blood is upon them." That sounds like it is biblical law to put us to death to me. What about you?

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 4:44:53 PM

7. @H8Str8s

So President Obama isn't entitled to his opinion.

BTW, I believe his quote is, "I believe, as it is in my religion, that marriage is between one man and one woman but my viewpoint is always evolving."

He's also led the charge against DADT. The charge to no longer defend DOMA.

So want to try again?

Posted by: Lou Gagliardi | Apr 21, 2012 4:48:14 PM

8. H8 again the president does not agree with SSM but guess what he won't stop you from having one. Now ask your self where the other guy stands on it? Mittens I mean, he doesn't think you should have one altogether.

See Obama is actually to the right of mittens on gay marriage. He believes that government should not be telling people who they can marry. He holds the tru conservitive stand- less government on this issue. The tru conservitive stand on DADT - the government should not be in your personal life, what you do at home is your biz.

I kinda funny I think.

To the real story I hope this guy pays

Posted by: GeorgeM | Apr 21, 2012 5:02:09 PM

9. @Lou Gagliardi
    I didn't say he wasn't entitled to his opinion. I said he is against gay marriage. You don't deny that. I have heard him say in '08 that "I am against gay marriage." He has said many things on the topic. Do you really mean to tell me you have heard every quote and you know that he never said "I am against gay marriage?" How did you manage to hear everything he has ever said on the subject?
    I couldn't care less about any subject but gay marriage. I am ostracized by the community for not being politically correct so gay soldiers can go f*ck themselves as far as I am concerned.
    You say he no longer defends DOMA; so now he is against it after being for it. great record.
    I am told he was for gay marriage when he was running for the senate. It looks to me as if he is devolving away from gay rights rather than towards them.
    Aren't you tired of being taken advantage of by a president who thinks you should remain a second class citizen and takes your vote for granted?

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 5:08:09 PM

10. Another extremist who doesn't deserve our attention.

Posted by: Tom Stoppard | Apr 21, 2012 5:08:38 PM

11. H8 if the president is a no go they who do we as a community vote for?

Posted by: GeorgeM | Apr 21, 2012 5:11:22 PM

12. This whole thing is a maneuver on Dean's part to both stay in the public light and to try to become a martyr to more of the wing nuts who follow him in the first place.

I don't even believe it fits the mold of a classic SLAPP suit because NBC/Comcast is too big to intimidate that way. Nevertheless it is frivolous and I'd be shocked if it is not dismissed with prejudice. Dean will pay through the nose but I expect he or his people knew that going in. Or maybe, more likely, he's just barking mad.

Posted by: Tone | Apr 21, 2012 5:13:23 PM

13. Andy whatever you did to get rid of the captcha, FSM bless you!

Posted by: Tone | Apr 21, 2012 5:14:09 PM

14. @GeorgeM
    Great question. I am an Anarchist, so I don't vote. I believe all government to be corrupt and voting for me would show a lack of integrity. You might consider a protest vote and go for any party that is for gay marriage. I imagine there may be one.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 5:28:10 PM

15. @GeorgeM
    re: your point about Obama having a conservative stance on gay marriage and DADT; do you think I am a conservative? I believe in Keynseian economics. I am for the goals but not the means of unions. I am for socialized healthcare (if we must have a corrupt government it could at least do something for us). I am against immigration amnesty because I don't think people should be rewarded for cutting in line. There are a lot of immigrants from Africa and other less fortunate countries who would take the work if white born-citizens wouldn't. It is not a matter of me vieing with them over the work; it is a matter of fairness. Also they vote their religious intolerance. Latinos have a truly homophobic culture. But other than that and hating this president who takes advantage of us and takes our vote for granted, I think I am a bleeding heart liberal.
    I can't countenance a man who says such hateful things as he believes a marriage should be between on man and one woman in spite this is just religious intolerance. He should have some respect for the seperation of church and state if he is the president, and he hasn't any.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 5:36:51 PM

16. @H8STR8S - You are so very, very wrong about Obama being homophobic. He has done more to advance gay rights than any other President in history. In fact, more than EVERY other President in history combined.

He banned discrimination against transgenders in federal agencies (which already existed for LGB employees. He lifted the ban on HIV+ people from entering the country. He pushed for and implemented the successful repeal of DADT. He's appointed gays and lesbians to lifetime federal judgeships.

And on the issue of same sex marriage, while the President has said he's not ready to support it, his actions speak otherwise. He opposes a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriages. He's ordered the Justice Department to stop defending DOMA and publicly endorsed legislation in Congress that would repeal it. You said that he's against it but once was for DOMA. That's flat out wrong, and easy to prove. In 2008, his campaign advocated repealing DOMA in its entirety. In fact, one difference between him and Hillary was that she wanted to repeal one provision of DOMA (federal recognition of same sex marriages) while he advocated repealing it in its entirety. He's publicly opposed state ballot measures that would ban same sex marriage. He's ordered hospitals that receive federal funds (which is all of them) grant visitation and decision-making rights for same sex couples. He's advocated that the courts consider LGBT people to be a "suspect class" worthy of the highest protections of judicial review -- something that, if the courts agree, would do more for gay rights than anything.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. While you may think that certain things he has not yet acted on to be homophobic, I would disagree. And I cannot find a single example of him actively doing or saying anything homophobic.

You are flat out wrong.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Apr 21, 2012 5:48:33 PM

17. AZGAARD@post#1. "Sued for definition of character." I like. May I borrow that line?

I'll try to remember to give credit to you. What kind of mnemonic would work? Ah! I just have to remember that the Norse gods would never take that kind of legal action. They'd just pick up their swords and battle axes and settle it between themselves.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Apr 21, 2012 5:51:33 PM

18. Believe this or not I agree with a lot of what you said. I wasn't trying to say you were a conservitive I was just pointing it out.

I can't not vote, I agree that it sucks he won't stand up and support marriage but between the two (only one of the two will win) for me I'll stick with Obama because he wont stop me from getting married. I want the government to take CT's marriages as legit. DOMA is wrong and he will sign the repeal if it gets to him, Romney will not. That's how I look at it. I agree they should go to Washington and vote law not personal feelings but in a way if he were to sign a repeal that's what he'd be doing. Putting his personal feelings about one man one woman aside and allowing the government to except CT's definition of marriage.

He believed DOMA was wrong from the start of his campaign, it's in his blue print... That I handed out to people in 2008 lol

We get taken all the time, it's wrong but no tru party with the ability to win exists for us. We have to pic and choose and sometimes he have to pic republicans.

Posted by: GeorgeM | Apr 21, 2012 6:05:43 PM

19. H8, could u do us all a favor and stfu? Obama has done more for gay rights then every other president combined. What? Would u like him to come.out for gay marriage so he can lose the election and we end up with dadt being reinstated? I an sick of people like you who have their heads shoved permanently up their arses.

Btw, so according to this Christian, its more moral to kill a homosexual then to show them tolerance? I really hope Christ was gay because these prikks are going to be in for one Hell of an awakening.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 21, 2012 6:08:42 PM

20. @Kevin_BGFH
    Wow, you did that great. You make it hard for me to dismiss you in any way because you are scrupulously polite. Thank you for talking to me in a way that I can listen. I am fast coming to the conclusion that my position is emotional rather than logical. You make so many very good points. I could say none of the good he has done affects me at all. But that is not what we are debating; it matters not at all if the good he has done affects me personally. If he has done more good than bad, then he may not be a homophobe.
    I believe if he had not been against gay marriage in '08 then prop. 8 would have failed. I think he does immense damage every time he confirms that he is against gay marriage.
    I believe furthermore that prop. 8 is doomed either without going to the SCOTUS or by being repealed. I hope it is repealed becuase if it dies in the courts, my fellow Californians won't have a chance to redeem themselves and I will probably hate straight people forever if they never get that chance and take it. I hope dearly it will be repealed because life would be simpler if I didn't have to go through machinations to avoid straights.
    So I don't see how it matters to me who is president and I would really love to see Obama lose because I hate him for saying he is against gay marriage.
    But I can see I am not being driven by practicle political considerations here. I am being driven by personal animosity towards a man who's parents once apon a time in this country couldn't marry and who is now, it appears, satisfied that the same evil is visited upon us when he says he is against gay marriage.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 6:23:45 PM

21. The lawsuit is clearly sub-frivolous. The crazy guy's hairstyle is more worthy of a suit than his claim, but one can only imagine that if his claim succeeded (you know, when pigs fly in frozen-over hell) the ones that could be brought against FOX news. Everything out of the wing nut commentators' mouths would be grounds for a misrepresentation of basic facts lawsuit. Sometimes the comedy writes itself.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 21, 2012 6:25:26 PM

22. @GeorgeM
    When I say he was for DOMA before he was against it, I mean he no longer defends it. If he no longer defends it, I assume he did at one time. I can't see defending it first and then not defending it unless he was doing what he wanted when he defended it but got too much heat from his own party to keep defending it. So now he no longer defends it. Way to go Democratic party, not Obama. If he didn't want to defend it, he should have been there from the start.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 6:26:46 PM

23. @Michael
    What don't you like about free speech? Are you so insecure in your own positions that you can't tolerate opposition of any sort? Do you really think that will shut me up? Do you think it makes you look smart or tolerant when you say things like that?

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 6:31:11 PM

24. @H8TSTBS:

So what's your take on Bradlee Dean? You know, the actual subject of this post.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Apr 21, 2012 6:47:11 PM

25. @Acronymjim
    If you read my posts, you would see I called him a crazy a$$hole. Doesn't that give you some idea?
    I should point out, I offered an opinion and since then have been merely defending myself against a lot of hostility. I am not the one dragging this on. I could have been allowed to have my opinion in peace. When I agree with everyone else, that is what happens.
    I am constitutionally incapable of standing down or backing off. If I am attacked, I always respond. It is easy to yank my chain because of that. But I am inexhausatable. The name callers always go away first and those who reason with me sometimes get through and change my mind. You would be surprised.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 21, 2012 7:02:15 PM