Health | Music | News

Video Proves The Power Of Music: Dementia Patient Loves His Cab Calloway

HenryCalloway

If you've ever doubted the relationship between aural stimulation and the human spirit, here's some pretty solid proof of how music can break down physical and mental barriers to deliver happiness in even the most dire of situations.

Henry is elderly man who has been in a nursing home for about a decade after declining into dementia, and though he doesn't recognize his own daughter and remains pretty much unresponsive to the world around him, he always perks up when the headphones go on. He also, incredibly, remembers his favorite musician: Cab Calloway.

Watch the inspiring, tear-worthy video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Video via The Good Men Project:

Comments

1. Beautiful.

Reminds me of this wonderful little film, "The Music Never Stopped"-

Posted by: hayson | Apr 12, 2012 1:42:07 PM

2. I wished the damn Internet would stop making me well up.

Posted by: Carlie | Apr 12, 2012 1:55:53 PM

3. Sigh....so awesome. If only I had seen this before my aunt passed away.

Posted by: Greggie | Apr 12, 2012 1:55:57 PM

4. Awesome. I could deal with going blind or losing a limb, but I'd prefer death to not being able to hear music.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Apr 12, 2012 1:56:01 PM

5. saw this 2 days ago on my friend's FB and it's beautiful.

Posted by: redball | Apr 12, 2012 2:09:04 PM

6. I wish I'd thought of using music with my husband's late father...it would have given us a chance to hold onto to him longer....RIP Paul

Posted by: Greg | Apr 12, 2012 2:12:47 PM

7. Is he Gay or Bi ?

Posted by: Tim | Apr 12, 2012 2:25:05 PM

8. I love current music but I can not imagine listening to Lady Gaga's Poker Face (or for slightly older Madonna's Vogue) when I'm in my 80s. I wonder what we will listen to. Will we consider current music oldies but goldies?

Posted by: Billy | Apr 12, 2012 3:07:20 PM

9. @Tim - WTF?

I volunteer at a nursing home, and a good deal of my time is spent on the dementia unit. They use music quite a bit. The recreation department even has a rhythm band they bring to the unit. When the TV is turned on, a few residents pay attention to it, but music seems to involve all the residents.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Apr 12, 2012 3:07:24 PM

10. why i'm i crying ?

Posted by: xael | Apr 12, 2012 3:25:54 PM

11. Nice video. Dementia and Alzheimers are terrible things.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 12, 2012 4:17:15 PM

12. Great story. Makes me very glad that I brought music (through a 2nd generation iPod) to my father's deathbed—music that he loved.

Posted by: David R. | Apr 12, 2012 5:00:17 PM

13. Awesome.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 12, 2012 5:04:40 PM

14. I work in a a nursing home as a therapeutic recreation therapist; this has been known for a long time. Residents can be in the end stages of Alzheimer's and music is the only thing that will calm them.

It kinda disgusts me that this hasn't been common knowledge for at least a decade, but it just shows how much the world prefers to "forget" about the elderly. I supposed its better that it gets some exposure at least.

Posted by: Alexx | Apr 12, 2012 5:04:46 PM

15. Alexx : This wasn't news to me either, I've seen TV show theme music have a big impact as well as classical and pop on the elderly with Alzheimer's.

Posted by: NVTodd | Apr 13, 2012 6:19:45 AM

16. i was a personal caregiver for my grandmother who was diagnosed with dementia. when i found out she used to listen to Mario Lanza when she was younger, i started playing some which brought back a flood of memories. sometimes, it was a good experience, and sometimes it didn't work out so well. every Alzheimer's and dementia patient are different in their reaction and understanding. what a beautiful video.

Posted by: pitluver | Apr 13, 2012 6:10:02 PM