Madonna | Music

Watch Madonna Get Surprised: VIDEO

MadonnaSurprise

Madonna's producers, dancers and other assorted backstage helpers threw her a surprise party yesterday to celebrate her latest album, MDNA, debuting in Billboard's number one slot. The Material Girl doesn't seem too terribly astonished by the party itself, but was surprised to hear about the album's instant success.

Watch Madonna socialize with her underlings, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Congrats to Madge but they spent a lot of money for that #1. I was checking out at CVS last night and at the cash register they had piles of her DVD there. How often do you see that.

Posted by: MarkUs | Apr 5, 2012 9:32:10 AM

2. Ummmm, what was in the bottles of pills next to the cake?? LOL

Posted by: Chrisme | Apr 5, 2012 10:10:48 AM

3. BTW her CD at the CVS checkout was discounted to about 6.99. I think they paid big just to say she hit #1 on the chart.

Posted by: MarkUs | Apr 5, 2012 10:46:49 AM

4. not as surprised as the rest of us

Posted by: t | Apr 5, 2012 10:53:54 AM

5. @MARKUS

Wow. MDNA $6.99 @ CVS vs. Born This Way $0.79 @ Amazon. I guess they paid BIG just ti say she #1 on the chart too.

Posted by: KCSTARINDALLAS | Apr 5, 2012 11:00:18 AM

6. @ KCSTARINDALLAS

Madge! No, Gaga! No, Madge! No, Gaga! [repeat ad nauseum]

Gawd, you people are like 8 year olds on the playground.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Apr 5, 2012 12:14:46 PM

7. MDNA is an awesome album. I was a little underwhelmed by "Hard Candy," but I can't stop listening to most of the songs on "MDNA."

There are a whole lot of factors that contribute to #1 album these days. For instance, each person who bought a ticket to her concert (including me, FINALLY!) got a free CD/download of the clean version of MDNA, and they've included that in album sales. So make of that what you will. But I still maintain that it's a great album, on par with "Confessions on a Dance Floor" and sometimes a little reminiscent of "Ray of Light."

Posted by: finkles2000 | Apr 5, 2012 12:15:39 PM

8. MDNA is an awesome album. I was a little underwhelmed by "Hard Candy," but I can't stop listening to most of the songs on "MDNA."

Posted by: finkles2000 | Apr 5, 2012 12:16:23 PM

9. Gah! Sorry about the double posties.

Posted by: finkles2000 | Apr 5, 2012 12:17:27 PM

10. I dont get it... it's not even in the top 10 on iTunes. Are they basing this off people who still buy CD's at a store?

Posted by: steve | Apr 5, 2012 12:33:55 PM

11. The album has some good tracks. "I'm Addicted" and "Turn Up The Radio" are my favorites. "Girl Gone Wild" would be great without the intro. I'll get the radio version without the intro, if there ever is one. "Gang Bang" is just too dark for anything but a drunken night of pacing and plotting revenge. "I'm A Sinner" is catchy, but I'm not sure how many people will want to have the phrase "I'm a sinner" playing over and over in their heads.

Posted by: jimstoic | Apr 5, 2012 12:42:05 PM

12. @Steve: I do. I also buy CD's from Amazon instead of a download whenever I can. I like to have a hard copy of my music in case of some hard drive catastrophe. Plus I can rip the CD at 320kbps which sounds a lot better.

Posted by: RonDenver | Apr 5, 2012 1:42:02 PM

13. Oops, I read your comment wrong. Never mind.

Posted by: RONDENVER | Apr 5, 2012 1:45:53 PM

14. There ARE in fact many factors that contribute to her success. Two of them are auto-tune and incredibly talented studio engineers. Without them she would be nothing.

Posted by: Reppin2 | Apr 5, 2012 3:46:22 PM

15. MEH-Donna

Posted by: jcrew0813 | Apr 5, 2012 4:31:25 PM

16. I feel sorry for that poor guy who got a plate full of cake to the face. You can tell from his expression he didn't think it was as hilarious as Madg did. He looked a bit hurt. Understandable after going to all the trouble to through her a surprise party. I guess that's what happens when you work for a diva.

Posted by: JC | Apr 5, 2012 7:56:32 PM

17. Just remember every single ticket for her concert tour included a cd (added into the price of the ticket of course). You know how many tix she sold before release date? Yep, there ya go.

Posted by: right | Apr 5, 2012 11:38:58 PM

18. And then, for entertainment's sake, she threw all of them into a lion-filled pit and smiled as their screams filled the air. Ah, Madge. You are the last Leo diva.

Posted by: Dback | Apr 6, 2012 12:35:23 AM