Books | Edmund White | News

BigGayDeal.com

Author Edmund White Suffers Stroke

Legendary gay author Edmund White (A Boy's Own Story, The Beautiful Room is Empty, The Farewell Symphony) suffered a stroke earlier this month according to a notice to friends on his Facebook page, dictated to his partner Michael Carroll. Carroll indicated that the information could be made public.

WhiteThe setback is apparently the second for the writer, the first having happened last Thanksgiving in Providence.

Of the more recent stroke, Carroll writes:

A word from Ed and me:

Forgive my neglect in reporting on Ed. Ed's condition is more serious than before but his improvement is remarkable on a daily basis. I'm busy but not as busy as the first time around since he's in an excellent facility getting great care and being forced through a great number of daily therapies. He can now raise his right arm fluidly and unhaltingly and his speech is more and more articulate. I'm grateful that it occurred in the hospital, though I do believe they dawdled a bit in getting him stroke-specific treatment. More on that later.

Ed says, "I'm already reviewing a book and thinking about completing my memoir. I'm 2/3 through and hope to finish it in November, even if I have to dictate to Michael Carroll."

xoMC & EW

Towleroad wishes Ed White the best in his recovery.

Comments

1. Sending my best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery to Mr. White.

Posted by: carl | May 23, 2012 8:25:21 AM

2. A Boy's Own Story was the first gay book I read as a gay teen. For once I knew I was not alone. Keep going Edmund.

Posted by: Sylvatica | May 23, 2012 8:26:46 AM

3. If anybody's looking to be schooled on gay lit and art history, look no further than Edmund White's Arts & Letters. Damn, it's great.

Godspeed, Edmund!

Posted by: AdamA | May 23, 2012 11:34:35 AM

4. Wishing him all the best. He's an amazing author.

Posted by: Kevin | May 23, 2012 11:43:17 AM

5. Never was there a sweeter more generous man and writer-- much love to him and Michael as he recovers. Big hug!

Posted by: rob | May 23, 2012 12:29:47 PM

6. All my support to them both - a terrific author.

Posted by: Alex | May 23, 2012 12:31:06 PM

7. Godspeed, sending positive thoughts to you and your partner.

Posted by: Carlos | May 23, 2012 2:19:40 PM

8. Nocturnes for the King of Naples is a masterpiece -- sad to hear this -- just as influential as Gore Vidal in his quiet way! Get well soon!

Posted by: David B. | May 23, 2012 3:26:27 PM

9. Edmund White isn’t that good of a writer and is way overrated and lionized pointlessly. He is pretty vile with his obsession with his own in cest and how he’s in denial about how as an HIV+ person thinks he can bareback with other HIV+ people and not get other strains of HIV or infect other people, or not tell his HIV+ status and it’s all good.

I hope he has a speedy recovery since strokes are debilitating.

Posted by: Seattlequeer | May 23, 2012 4:53:26 PM

10. very blog thanks

Posted by: sohbet odaları | Jan 29, 2013 8:52:36 AM

11. very blog

Posted by: sohbet | Jan 29, 2013 8:56:00 AM

12. Never was there a sweeter more generous man and writer

R

Posted by: kombi servisi | Jan 29, 2013 9:28:29 AM

13. mostly because yearbooks just recently started using color for pictures.

Posted by: kombi servisi | Jan 29, 2013 9:30:57 AM

14. And so did Oprah! Man those people were ugly!

Posted by: demirdöküm kombi servisi | Jan 29, 2013 9:31:53 AM

15. Most of them are so ugly! They've all had their nose done or have fake teeth! Yuk

Posted by: vaillant kombi servisi | Jan 29, 2013 9:32:20 AM

16. Most schools don't print year books in color, it's cheaper.

Posted by: vaillant kombi servisi | Jan 29, 2013 9:34:59 AM

17. I can't stop laughing at a lot of these but especially Robbie williams. Damn, who cut his fringe haha!

Posted by: klima servisi | Jan 29, 2013 9:35:22 AM

18. I like this page. I am very grateful for the information presented was very beneficial to me personally and to others.

Posted by: uk best essays | Mar 19, 2013 7:18:08 AM

19. ohww thanks babas

Posted by: sohbet | Apr 7, 2013 7:58:12 PM

20. haho bu nasıl blog lo takip eden cakkalara sokayim.

Posted by: sohbet | Apr 7, 2013 7:58:46 PM

21. takip eden ibneler alayiniza sokim.

Posted by: chat | Apr 7, 2013 7:59:12 PM

22. Sincan Eca Servisi, servis ailesi gelişmiş servis bilinci ve anlayışıyla kullanıcıya en iyi hizmeti vermeyi benimsemiştir. Servis yapımızın etkinliğini ve başarısını artırmak amacıyla teknik ekiplerimizin tümü, büyük önem verdiğimiz ve genel ilkemiz olan “doğru teknik hizmet ve düzgün diyalog” konularında eğitim almaktadırlar. Bu kalitenin sürekliliğini sağlamak için tüm Servislerimiz, Servis Merkezi yetkililerince davranış kalitesi, işçilik kalitesi, yedek parça kalitesi, kıyafet kalitesi, servis düzen kalitesi, bina ve yer kalitesi, teknik donanım kalitesi yönünden periyodik olarak kontrol edilirler.
    Satışı yapılan her ürün Servis Merkezi standartlarına göre monte edilir ve sadece yetkili servisler tarafından çalıştırılarak kullanıcıya teslim edilir. Ürünlerin garanti süreci yetkili servisimizin tesliminden sonra başlar. Cihazlar devreye alındığı tarihten itibaren özel bilgi işlem merkezinde kaydedilir. Artık ürünler her an Servis Merkezi ve Sinacan Eca Servis Firması kontrolündedir. Ürün garantisinin yanı sıra, verilen hizmetler ve yedek parçalar da garanti kapsamında ele alınmaktadır. Servislerimiz verdikleri hizmetlerin tümünden sorumludurlar.
    Sincan Eca Servisi servis ağı ,Türkiye çapında toplam 250 servis firması, 1800 Teknik Personel ile müşterilerinin çok yakınında ve her an hizmete hazır durumdadır.

Posted by: Sincan Eca Servisi | May 17, 2013 8:47:43 AM