Arizona | Crime | News | Phoenix

BigGayDeal.com

Police Unresponsive as Gay Arizona Couple with Kids Terrorized by Frightening Homophobic Attacks: VIDEO

Gilbert

A gay couple with four children in Gilbert, Arizona are being terrorized in a series of attacks. The series of attacks has escalated from banging on windows, to burning bushes, to anti-gay notes left on cars, to breaking into the family home and writing graffiti on the house's walls.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

A poster on Democratic Underground writes:

Roy and Felix are an interracial couple - Felix is hispanic, Roy is white. A couple of the kids are Hispanic.

They recently moved to Gilbert from North Phoenix - every since then, they have had items burned on their lawns, racist and anti-gay notes attached to cars, people pounding on their doors in the middle of the night, yelling at them, and finally, a break in where graffitti was sprayed in the house last week.

Police have been called 9 times - and each time, Roy and Felix were made to feel as if the problem was their fault for being gay, hispanic, having handicapped children, etc.  Roy and the kids are too scared to stay at the house - and are now staying with his sister.  Fortunately, friends of the couple have mobilized - starting a facebook page, contacting media, local officials, etc. It is helping - Felix had a meeting yesterday with the Gilbert Hate Crimes Unit, and with Gilbert Internal Affairs. Congressman Flake's office has been in contact.

Watch NBC12's report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. What about that whole "stand your ground" thing? I sense a second-amendment remedy.

Posted by: John Equality | May 30, 2012 11:49:50 AM

2. Sucks for this couple. I mean... really sucks. If they can afford it, I would immediately install a house alarm system that automatically calls the police when it goes off.

I can't believe police can be involved 9 times and haven't gotten any leads or placed the house under surveillance. They should all be fired.

Posted by: RJ | May 30, 2012 11:52:58 AM

3. North PHX was bad enough, when my partner and I lived there. Harassment by neighbors, name calling; good times! Not surprised. Perpetually disgusted.

So much nicer here in CA (well, where we live now, anyway). We socialize with our neighbors all the time. Just like real people.

Posted by: TJ | May 30, 2012 11:55:20 AM

4. Such a lovely family, sucks they're going through this. How anyone could break in and scrawl hateful graffiti where those kids eat sleep and live, is so sad.

Posted by: sparks | May 30, 2012 12:03:15 PM

5. That's horrible. :(

However, Hispanic is an ethnicity not a race.

Posted by: Alejandro | May 30, 2012 12:04:06 PM

6. I agree with John.
    Time to purchase a couple of guns!

Posted by: D | May 30, 2012 12:10:00 PM

7. Why the f*ck do people move to Gilbert in the first F'n place? PHX is bad enough without moving to the surrounding inbred cities.

Posted by: jakeinlove | May 30, 2012 12:11:31 PM

8. Gilbert is notoriously Mormon and heavily anti-gay. The fact that the police aren't doing anything at all is no surprise at all. They are of the same conservative social demographic.

Raising awareness might cause for a public embarrassment which will force Gilbert to do something, but I fear that would only be a temporary measure. Standing up won't do anything because the people there are hateful bigots and would have no problem resorting to violence to the point where members of the family might get hurt, and again, the police will turn their heads and allow the attackers to get away with it.

Sadly I fear their only recourse is to leave Gilbert. Central Phoenix (where my husband and I live) is far more tolerant.

Posted by: Ben Ragunton | May 30, 2012 12:12:12 PM

9. Sad.... Thought it was just the south where white straight Christians can do whatever the eff they want and no one can say crap about it.

Hope the police grow some balls and do their job.

Posted by: Scott | May 30, 2012 12:12:46 PM

10. Wireless webcams mounted around the house are cheap and easy solutions to to document the vandals.

Post the video to Facebook and youtube to publicly shame the harrassers and, regardless of police action, the family will have enough evidence to bring a civil suit against the individuals.

Posted by: badlydrawnbear | May 30, 2012 12:15:14 PM

11. Get a gun. Anyone who breaks into your home with kids, you must be able to defend yourself. They are going to rape or kill you, period. That's what it escalates to. Get a gun, learn how to use it, teach your kids about gun safety, and blow a hole in anyone who breaks int your home and tries to kill you.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 30, 2012 12:16:26 PM

12. Arizona is the new Mississippi.

Posted by: Polyboy | May 30, 2012 12:17:34 PM

13. There is only one way to deal with this ; direct action.

So I agree with the above; purchase guns; turn out the lights and wait; if the police won't protect you, do it yourself.

And where is the "Stand Your Ground" law now ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 30, 2012 12:25:09 PM

14. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the harassers was a cop.

Posted by: Rich F. | May 30, 2012 12:29:29 PM

15. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the harassers was Jan Brewer.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 30, 2012 12:43:46 PM

16. The fact that Arizona was just recently in the news for the lesbian couple that spray painted "Die F@gs!" across their own garage door could account for the ho-hum response.

Posted by: MarkUs | May 30, 2012 12:52:33 PM

17. i thin the overwhelmingly prejudiced culture of AZ is the more likely reason, Markus.

ARIZONA! the place where closeted-gay Babeu with his secret-brown-boyfriend could totally be accepted by Republicans. as long as it was all kept very hush hush.

and yeah, i'm with Ehrenstein. Brewer probably has a garage full of crosses to burn.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 30, 2012 1:06:25 PM

18. Markus, that didn't happen in Arizona.

Posted by: MIleHighJoe | May 30, 2012 1:12:31 PM

19. I'm not of the "get a gun, shoot first and ask questions later" mentality. They are harrassing them, and invading their privacy with the intention to terrify them, but escalating to violence is not the answer. Think the couple would get proper justice if they shot tresspassers on their propety? I think not... it's only asking for more trouble. I'm with Badlydrawnbear who suggests some Webcams and broadcasting the video on the news to make the police arrest the creeps.... if they still get off, sue the pants off them. We get more justice in civil courts than criminal ones, anyway.

Posted by: GraphicJack | May 30, 2012 1:16:07 PM

20. Their best option would be to move to central phoenix. or tempe. Why any gay would want to live in Gilbert is beyond me. Gilbert is nothing but suburban sprawl full of mormons.

Posted by: Lucas | May 30, 2012 1:16:32 PM

21. Ahhh, heavily Mormon Gilbert... Having survived and left Mormonism myself it is, sadly, not surprising. Outward, surfacy kindness and quietly subversive, passive-aggressive hate are Mormon hallmarks with we gay people. Good luck getting help from Mr. Flake...he's a Mormon too.

Posted by: Joel | May 30, 2012 1:22:12 PM

22. anyone find the facebook link that is mentioned?

Posted by: roland | May 30, 2012 1:33:17 PM

23. The rise of hate by anti-gay Christians committing crimes against gays is like the rise of Hitler in Nazi Germany, hate and destruction follows mad men and their insanity. The police who do nothing about anti-gay hate crimes are the ones who call themselves "the Army of God" and are using their position in the police force to oppress LGBT people. I know I have seen these kind of police across America and have it happen to me. The thing to do is expose who these anti-gay police are and expose them for the mentally sick people they are before they kill somebody, these are the ones who kill innocent people and say they were attacked and think they can get away with it, you know the cops who do this, it is in the news, the ones who say that a victim wanted to die. Nobody wants to die, they murder them. One such police officer is Lawrence Mulock of the Long Beach Police Department in Long Beach California. If you are gay you do not want to turn your back on him and his buddies in the police force, after I reported him a Port of Los Angeles police officer threatened my life and no less than 10 Long Beach Police officer tried to set me up to get killed by a Mexican gang member.
    Yea thought I walk through the valley of death I shall fear no evil for God is with me.

Posted by: Dave | May 30, 2012 1:44:20 PM

24. I live in AZ and watch 12 news Mark Curtis question of "Is this a Hate crime?" Hmmmm lets look at it AZ massive hate, not white, can't breed...and its a gay couple....yup were in AZ alright...

Posted by: Xzavier | May 30, 2012 2:32:10 PM

25. A couple of well placed shotgun shells into the heads of these bigots should do the trick. Send the kids to grandmas for a while and then just hide and watch.

Posted by: the milkman | May 30, 2012 2:41:22 PM