Beenie Man | Jamaica | News

BigGayDeal.com

Jamaican Reggae Star Beenie Man Begs for Forgiveness for Years of Singing Gays Should Be Killed: VIDEO

Beenie

In a new video, Jamaican dancehall singer Beenie Man is begging for forgiveness for lyrics he has performed throughtout his career calling for violent deaths to gays and lesbians.

Says Beenie Man in the video, in part:

"Let me make this clear and straight. I have nothing against no one. I respect each and every human being, regardless of which race or creed, regardless of which religious belief you believe in, and regardless of which sexual preference you are, including gays and lesbian people. I respect all human...Please I am begging you do not have me up for some songs I wrote a long time ago. I love each and every one and am just begging each and everyone to do the same."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Beenie's lyrics have called for death to gay people. The Guardian wrote, about the words on a 2004 album:

They include lyrics such as "Hang chi chi gal wid a long piece of rope" [Hang lesbians with a long piece of rope] and "Tek a bazooka and kill batty-f**ker" [Take a bazooka and kill gay men].

Beenie Man has been subject to protests for years for the lyrics, as have other Jamaican "murder music" singers like Buju Banton.

Comments

1. You can still buy the songs on Amazon. Apologies not valid.

Posted by: Daniel | May 18, 2012 9:16:43 AM

2. I agree with "T," above.

If he's sincere, he can write a song about it and regularly perform it. He could do a lot of good taking down anti-gay culture and violence. Words are a start, but actions are more important.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | May 18, 2012 9:20:03 AM

3. This is about the third time he's "begged for forgiveness". The problem is, he has in the past, and will probably again, double down shortly thereafter playing victim and whining that gay people and their supporters have been mean and unfair to him.

My guess is he's run out of money and is desperate enough to say anything to be allowed to perform again outside the slums of Jamaica where his homophobic message is still popular but the money isn't so good.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 18, 2012 9:42:56 AM

4. Boycott Jamaica. Boycott this piece of trash.

Posted by: Jay | May 18, 2012 9:45:09 AM

5. Ironic that what was "killed" was his career. Thank god McDonalds is always hiring....

Posted by: Michaelandfred | May 18, 2012 9:47:20 AM

6. BM....I'm gonna wait and see. Jamaica is still off my list...this seems more inspired by the tourism board than by any actual change of heart.

Posted by: BarryW | May 18, 2012 9:50:00 AM

7. Where are Littlekiwi and DerrickfromPhilly?
    I figured they'd be here defending him.

Posted by: Andrew | May 18, 2012 9:10:44 AM

Andrew when have you EVER know Derrick From Philly to defend a HOMOPHOBE? Never!

He just strikes back at some of the racist comments from some of the white gays!

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | May 18, 2012 9:54:09 AM

8. This freak of nature is now unable to afford ganga weed
    due to poor quality singing and hatred that he promoted.
    Should you piss off you lowlife degenerate? Yaa man!

Posted by: Jim | May 18, 2012 10:00:56 AM

9. He and Jamaica can go to hell.

Posted by: russ | May 18, 2012 10:10:32 AM

10. A quick word in the heat of the moment like that idiot soccer player I can forgive about as fast (not forget mind you)but years of calling for people to be killed? F.U., you have to really work for that.

Posted by: doug105 | May 18, 2012 10:33:02 AM

11. Although I do think this is a BS apology, the public discourse is starting to really turn now. People do NOT want to get on our bad side and do not want to be seen as homophobic. So, for that reason alone, this is a big deal to me.

With all of that said, I agree with what others have said. Let's see Beenie Man put his words into action. Then maybe we can move forward from his previous transgressions.

Posted by: Francis | May 18, 2012 10:35:31 AM

12. Although I do think this is a BS apology, the public discourse is starting to really turn now. People do NOT want to get on our bad side and do not want to be seen as homophobic. So, for that reason alone, this is a big deal to me.

Posted by: Francis | May 18, 2012 10:35:32 AM

13. I was surprised to see him featured on Nicki Minaj's latest album. You know, since she's gay friendly. Maybe she helped change his mind?

Posted by: butch | May 18, 2012 10:45:13 AM

14. I was surprised to see him featured on Nicki Minaj's latest album. You know, since she's gay friendly. Maybe she helped change his mind?

Posted by: butch | May 18, 2012 10:45:14 AM

15. I was surprised to see him featured on Nicki Minaj's latest album. You know, since she's gay friendly. Maybe she helped change his mind?

Posted by: butch | May 18, 2012 10:45:15 AM

16. Thank you for begging for an apology.

I do not accept....next!

Posted by: marc | May 18, 2012 11:04:41 AM

17. @GMB: Thanks for the background info on this guy and your perspective.
    A cruise ship I was traveling on visited Ocho Rios. Because of the country's anti-gay reputation, my partner and I chose not to spend any money there. We skipped the tours and briefly walked around the port town. The poverty, rundown infrastructure and sheer hopelessness of the people left an impression. Jamaica is a hell hole in paradise that breeds a lot of anger, desperation, ignorance and hatred of "others." Hatred for gays permeates every corner of Jamaican culture and religious beliefs.

Posted by: Joe in CT | May 18, 2012 11:58:20 AM

18. If this guy were white - say maybe Howard Stern - people on this site would be falling all over themselves to believe his financially motivated "apology." I am as sure that this guy is every bit as insincere as Stern, as Stern also admitted (although not in so many words), just like this guy, that his move was financially motivated.
    They are both full of $hit and need to retire and go away and never be seen again by decent folk.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 18, 2012 12:04:51 PM

19. I can't believe there are Gay people willing to be taken in by this opportunist! This appalling gullibility is why we are not respected in the world. Black LGBT folk in the Caribbean have been murdered by mobs singing his wicked lyrics! With that much blood on Beenie Man's hands, an apology is not nearly enough.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | May 18, 2012 12:19:16 PM

20. Listen to the first thing he says "People are creating problems for me to WORK." This change of heart is purely financial in nature and nothing else. I don't believe he has changed, I just believe his paper is getting LOW. And, it's not just him, it's his manager, his agent, his band, his entourage, everyone who has their hands in his pocket have begun to see a decline in their funds, so they have convinced him to make this video. Actions speak much louder than words. Stop singing the songs with the hateful homophobic lyrics, help support your local gay charities, and keep showing us in your actions that you truly have changed and understand that LESBIANS & GAYS shouldn't be bullied or slaughtered.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 18, 2012 12:38:36 PM

21. As with all assholes like this, you accept their apology and then let them fade into the past. Their apology can be helpful to us. They do have influence. If they choose to make good by actions that help to counter act their damage in the future then I re-access.

Posted by: SFHarry | May 18, 2012 12:40:35 PM

22. Those who point out that this is just a deperate plea because he's hard up for a job have it exactly right. Well, behold my batty-buttocks, beenie man (lower case intentional) - feel free to kiss it while I file your request for consideration. No promises, mind.

Posted by: LLeroy Laflamme | May 18, 2012 2:34:17 PM

23. Beenie Man, on behalf of Towleroad and its tolerant readers, you are forgiven.

Posted by: Jedi | May 18, 2012 3:31:25 PM

24. @ TOMMYD - It looks like there's one lower...

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 18, 2012 3:35:26 PM