Brian Brown | Dan Savage | News | NOM

BigGayDeal.com

NOM's Brian Brown Challenges Dan Savage to a Duel Over the Bible: VIDEO

D_savage

NOM President Brian Brown wants to sword fight (figuratively, of course) with Dan Savage:

BrownLet me lay down a public challenge to Dan Savage right here and now: You want to savage the Bible? Christian morality? Traditional marriage? Pope Benedict? I'm here, you name the time and the place and let's see what a big man you are in a debate with someone who can talk back. It's easy to make high-school girls cry by picking on them. Let's pick on someone our own size!

I'm here, any time, any place you name, Dan Savage. You will find out out how venal and ridiculous your views of these things are if you dare to accept a challenge.

Brown is livid over Savage's remarks about the Bible and the Pope:

He has refused to apologize for any of it, except for directly cursing at the teens who left. As a father of seven, watching it makes my blood boil.

Here's Dan Savage following up on that performance with an incredibly filthy and obscene attack on the Pope from the Hammerschmidt Memorial Chapel at Elmhurst College in Illinois. Warning: It's sexually-explicit and disgusting language. Please do not play it where children can hear.

Watch the first clip if you missed it HERE, the second clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

In related news, Amanda Marcotte at Slate correctly notes:

The manufactured outrage over Dan Savage's remarks about the Bible that inspired what appears to be a staged walkout at a high school journalism conference may appear on its surface mostly to be a last stand of the anti-gay movement to regain ground by attacking one of the most compelling pro-gay activists in the country. And it is, but winning the immediate battle is really only the tip of the iceberg of what the right is trying to accomplish with this feigned outrage and claims that Savage is a "bully" because he accurately recounted what is in the Bible. It's an attempt to redefine acceptable discourse so that statement of uncomfortable facts is considered off-limits, and, in fact, is redefined as "bigotry."

Comments

1. Oh, please. I find Brian Brown and the rest of NOM to be more obscene than Dan Savage could ever be. Just listening to anything they have to say makes my blood boil.

Posted by: Mathew | May 4, 2012 10:13:17 AM

2. If Dan doesn't want to do it, I will. But mainly just because I want to punch that smarmy jerk in the face.

Posted by: Paul R | May 4, 2012 10:14:38 AM

3. I'd pay to see that!

Posted by: Joe | May 4, 2012 10:16:06 AM

4. Bring it on! I would love a national debate about what the Bible really says. It's right there in black and white. And the history is pretty darn clear too -- and in fact the bible was used to justify discrimination against blacks even through the 1960s.

It would be a walk in the park for Savage. Brian will probably agree to it, and then cancel at the last minute.

Posted by: Randy | May 4, 2012 10:16:13 AM

5. Quite apart from Dan Savage telling it like it is, the audience clearly loved it. Good for him. I had no idea he could do stand up.

Posted by: John Freeman | May 4, 2012 10:17:01 AM

6. Most boring duel ever.

Posted by: TyN | May 4, 2012 10:18:24 AM

7. Has he not seen Dan Savage speak? Savage is a phenomenal debater.

Posted by: endo | May 4, 2012 10:20:24 AM

8. I think that Dan Savage is fantastic, and I literally didn't even think that before. I used to think that he was unattractive and from Seattle—but now I like him.

Posted by: ggggb | May 4, 2012 10:37:05 AM

9. "As a father of seven, watching it makes my blood boil."

Wow. Poor sap had to picture his wife as a shirtless Chris Evans seven whole times.

Posted by: kpo5 | May 4, 2012 10:38:34 AM

10. This would require one hardnosed referee to keep these two in line. Both are prone to shouting over their opponents. I would love to see Brian Brownshirt humiliated, that's for sure. The guy is a smarmy liar and I despise him and everything he stands for. I'll bet his seven kids are seriously maladjusted.

Posted by: Abel | May 4, 2012 10:40:10 AM

11. That debate would be a THRILL to watch.
    There is SO MUCH documentation about the past and the present concerning that individual ( da pope )
    ---such as he was the keeper of the Vatican's Library for The Index of Forbidden Books.--

Under his management those persons that read the banned books could be considered heretics and be excommunicated.

Yet it remains amazing the the Catholic Church continues to grow and receive monies from it's congregations.

PLEASE Let there be a televised and national debate on the Biblical and Religious issues of facts.

Posted by: anthony | May 4, 2012 10:45:30 AM

12. Sounds like someone wants to go down on history as a martyr...

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | May 4, 2012 10:47:53 AM

13. This is code for Brian Brown screaming "Make me relevant again!" He's been lacking in attention after the failure of his organization.

Brain, since I know you read this stuff, Dan Savage would mop the floor with you in a debate about the Bible. Hell, I could and I actually like the stories in it. You be better off challenging Dan to a pie eating contest. That you might win.

Posted by: Bart | May 4, 2012 11:13:21 AM

14. I've seen my fair share of evangelicals get into slap fights because one or the other of them was not "born again" in the right building. And I've also seen fundamentalists/literalists pull out the old "It Has Been Revealed" card to explain why God is just fine with tattoos & shellfish & football & poly/cotton blends NOW, because their favored loonie told them he spoke to God & God told him all that stuff that "normal" folk like was okay now. Not to mention the Old Testament fans who believe Christians are worshiping 3 gods, when the Bible clearly says there is only One or the folks who believe Christianity is just a plot to trick people into worshiping Jews or the ones who actively practice incest because the Bible says it's okay. So. Yeah. Rich tapestry.

The debate would be awesome. Something akin to debating a Tea Partier on the Constitution & the Bill of Rights. All these people claim to be huge fans of their chosen documents but don't seem to have ever actually read them.

Posted by: Mike | May 4, 2012 11:15:36 AM

15. ..ohhh, and by the way - I'd love to see yur blood boil!

Posted by: Disgusted American | May 4, 2012 11:16:13 AM

16. Am I missing something, or did NOM's clown sound like a WWE wrestler threatening Dan Savage with a grudge match?

Posted by: Jonathan Oz | May 4, 2012 11:29:26 AM

17. I'd rather debate Robert Grave's Book of Myths.

Posted by: Daniel | May 4, 2012 11:40:47 AM

18. that's hilarious, because Brown, and any bible-thumper, will lose. because their stances based on "scripture" are actually meritless, and can only be maintained by remaining willfully ignorant of historical context and anything resembling consistency.

i encourage this debate. savage would pwn him.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 4, 2012 11:48:47 AM

19. lol, debate? would go like:

Brian: (for sake of argument) Perfect bible argument for everything he wants.

Dan: Religion is optional, nothing in it has any right to affect anything that does not choose to be affected. Anything else is a simple act of aggression. It doesn't matter what you believe, you have to keep it to your group.

oops argument over.

Posted by: Fenrox | May 4, 2012 11:59:19 AM

20. I'm no fan of Dan's, but I'm sure Dan'll take the bait and then wipe the floor with Brian. Can't wait to see it.

"I used to think that he was unattractive and from Seattle"

As a Seattleite, I'm wondering how these two things are connected. ;)

Posted by: pParkerT | May 4, 2012 12:01:23 PM

21. Oh, great! Two shameless media whores going at each other for publicity's sake, with idiotic sycophants cheering for both sides. I couldn't be less interested.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | May 4, 2012 12:05:54 PM

22. It should go without saying that Dan Savage has done a great deal to advance the LGBT cause as well as to focus a national spotlight on the epidemic of bullying in the US. He is undeniably an intelligent, thoughtful, and passionately committed "reluctant" (in his words) activist. However, his importance to the LGBT cause is undermined by his increasing inability to control his inner third-grader and his dependence on the juvenile use of swear words and gutter language. LGBT activists (even "reluctant" ones) have an obligation to be more responsible in how they present our cause so as not to play into the hands of the very people who would deny us our rights as human beings.

Posted by: John in Iowa | May 4, 2012 12:10:06 PM

23. Christopher Hitchens used to do this all the time.

Posted by: anon | May 4, 2012 12:14:22 PM

24. Damn, I'd pay a lot to see that.

Posted by: chad | May 4, 2012 12:17:32 PM

25. Can the good people at at Towleroad not find a more flattering picture of Brown? My eyes are going to burn for the rest the day again. Don't make me beg ...

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | May 4, 2012 12:28:51 PM