Bullying | Discrimination | News

Don't Forget To Fight Homophobia Today

HomophobiaDay

Today is International Day Against Homophobia, an annual event organized by the Canadian LGBT group Fondation Émergence.

"Whatever your sexual orientation may be, I urge you to get involved in your community since the fight against homophobia concerns all of us," Fondation Émergence president Laurent McCutcheon writes on the organization's site. That site includes a wide-ranging discussion of homophobia, its roots and even on how gay men often participate in homophobia, too. Here are some definitions from the site.

Interpersonal Homophobia: Non-verbal displays of being ill-at-ease, feeling unsafe or experiencing fear when in contact with gay men and/or lesbians

Institutionalized/Systemic Homophobia: The built-in institutional practice of putting gays and lesbians at a disadvantage

Opportunistic Homophobia: Being interested in homosexuality solely for financial or personal gain, and not wanting to be associated with being homosexual or with gay men and lesbians

Internalized Homophobia: An often sub-conscious form of homophobia that is a product of education and social values passed down by society' Gay men and lesbians, too, can adopt homophobic behavior.

And then of course there's passive homophobia: standing by while someone else dishes it out, which is just as bad as actively bullying.

Comments

1. I like the 2 fish poster/image

Posted by: ratbastard | May 17, 2012 10:36:20 AM

2. I'm sick to death of that word "homophobia". That makes it sound like people are afraid of something. They aren't afraid. They are just jackasses who are uncomfortable w two dudes having butt sex. And they want a fancy word to justify it.

Posted by: AJ | May 17, 2012 10:55:57 AM

3. 1) Many people say 'God hates gays' and keep using the word 'God'. The fact is Jesus Christ (being the foundation of Christianity) NEVER CONDEMNED HOMOSEXUALITY ! So either those people are taking GOP as GOD, which by the way GOP are indeed one of the biggest bigot, or those religious nuts are worshiping a different 'God' other than Jesus. Either way homophobes bigots are ANTICHRIST !

2) To Christianity, they are followers of Christ and it's clearly stated that they should follow his top commandments which are above all other laws. The top commandments are to love God and to love your neighbor as yourself. So again, religious nuts are ANTICHRIST when they bring others laws to be above those of Jesus top commandments!

Posted by: Simon | May 17, 2012 11:01:46 AM

4. As a Picses, I appreciate it as well :)

The key to fighting homophobia is through understanding. When people understand who you are and why you're that way, opinions change!

Posted by: Lucas | May 17, 2012 11:06:52 AM

5. I could be wrong but I believe the full name is "International Day Against HOmophobia and transphobia"

Posted by: Peater | May 17, 2012 12:23:18 PM

6. Really? Two fish? That's the best image they could come up with? That has to be one of the worst marketing efforts I've ever seen. The main message is lost in the small print. The rest of it looks like an ad for a pet store. I guess they meant well.

Posted by: maybe next year | May 17, 2012 2:09:20 PM

7. The key to fighting homophobia is to first make sure (if you're straight that is) that you fight homophobia in YOURSELF. This is why I've decided to switch sides on the gay rights issue and support full legal equality for the LGBT community. I've sent donations to Freedom to Marry and Marriage Equality USA. I tried to send them in honor of Andy Towle and Brandon Thorp but you needed to include their email addresses and I couldn't find them. I finished up by joining the Log Cabin Republicans. They're imperfect, but the best we can do for now to make the Republican party more inclusive.

UFFDA, thank you for that proding in lsat night's post. It inspired me to finally make the switch. TJ, sorry if I provoked you. KIWI, now you can hate me for being a member of Log Cabin instead of a "troll."

Posted by: mary | May 17, 2012 7:54:26 PM