Gay Marriage | News | North Carolina

BigGayDeal.com

Family Law Professors Condemn NC Amendment One: VIDEO

Sigman

Eight Family Law professors — Katharine Bartlett, A. Kenneth Pye Professor of Law, Duke Law School; Kathryn Bradley, Professor of the Practice of Law Director of Legal Ethics, Duke Law School; Jean Cary, Professor of Law, Campbell Law School; Maxine Eichner, Reef C. Ivey II Professor of Law, UNC School of Law; Sonya Garza Assistant, Professor, Elon School of Law, Carolyn McAllaster, Clinical Professor of Law Director, Duke Legal Project, Duke Law School; Suzanne Reynolds, Executive Associate Dean and Professor of Law, Wake Forest School of Law; and Scott Sigman, Associate Professor, Charlotte School of Law — speak on the record to their concerns about the harms that will be done by Amendment One, in a video released by Protect All NC Families.

Says  Scott Sigman of Charlotte School of Law in the clip: "We can't afford to not protect our sisters, our mothers, our daughters. Frankly, it's unconscionable, and we need to vote against this amendment."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Familylaw

Comments

1. What a far cry this is from the Prop H8 campaign, in which Pepperdine University professors made commercials in FAVOR of passage of Prop H8. Do you suppose that Pepperdine will ever recover from such a disgraceful moment in its history?

I just hope this makes a difference-the right kind of difference.

Posted by: My2cents | May 7, 2012 12:34:53 PM

2. I have never set foot in North Carolina. However, judging by the extreme lengths these professors have gone to exclude the words gay or lesbian, or the harm being brought on OUR SONS (!!!) tells me all I need to know about their sensitivities to voter-bigots. What a sad state of affairs. I almost hope the damn thing passes so straights in "undesirable arrangements" get a taste of the hatred we've dealt with for centuries. Maybe they'll get a clue or NC will lose business revenue by the truckload.

Posted by: Josh | May 7, 2012 2:19:25 PM

3. Was that supposed to make me feel better? Because they did EVERYTHING but acknowledge gay people. Oh it will hurt woman, children, dogs, that filing cabinet over there.....huh gay people who?!

Posted by: James | May 7, 2012 3:06:00 PM

4. I know a couple of these people. Their focus on things other than gay rights is not a reflection of their own attitudes toward gays. I agree that it would have been nice to see them stand up for us, but that shouldn't be perceived as a sign of any lack of sympathy for the gay community. Some of these people do good work specifically directed at, for instance, people with AIDS.

Posted by: candideinncc | May 7, 2012 3:31:40 PM

5. hey- people! It's North Carolina for goodness sakes- not the the People's Republic of Berkeley. We should be thankful for any help on this. Also - the concerns they addressed are valid and the general public needs to know about them.
    We don't need every person who votes AGAINST anti-gay ballot measures to sign up for volunteering at the pride parade. We just need people with common sense and enough of the American spirit of equality to say "After hearing about everything that this would do- I can't vote for this."

Help is help. And we need all we can get. And thank you to the law professors who contributed and stood up for justice and equality.

Posted by: scott | May 7, 2012 4:54:56 PM

6. Reality check: Amendment One is going to comfortably pass. Deal with it. If you want to guarantee a republican victory in november, tie the democrats to marriage equality. Marriage equality has been defeated in EVERY state in which the people have been allowed to vote it up or down. I look back to the good old days of President Stevenson, Humphrey, McGovern, Mondale, Dukakis, Kerry. I voted for all of them. The majority of Americans thought them too liberal. Is that what you want Obama's fate to be? Oh, I'm old but I didn't vote in the Ike v Stevenson election, I was a child then.

Posted by: andrew | May 8, 2012 3:36:14 AM

7. Nice sharing with video. Keep it up in future also.

Thanks