Gay Marriage | News | North Carolina

Gay 'Replacements Ltd' Owner Faces NC Hate After Opposing Amendment One

A business owner who came out against Amendment One with a big financial donation is facing hate and boycotts from anti-equality North Carolinians, the NYT reports:

PageReplacements Limited, which sells silver, china and glassware, and is based in Greensboro. Its founder and chairman, Bob Page, is gay. The company lobbied legislators, contributed money to causes supporting gay marriage, rented a billboard along the interstate near its headquarters, and sold T-shirts at its showroom. Its experience may explain why no other for-profit company followed its example.

Hostile letters and e-mails poured into the company from customers canceling their business and demanding to be removed from its e-mail list. “I understand that your company donated $250,000 or so to the effort to ban the marriage amendment,” read one. “I am very concerned that with an increased visibility and acceptance of the gay and lesbian lifestyle, one of my children, who would have grown up and been happily married to a husband, could be tempted to the lesbian lifestyle.”

Another read: “I was excited to see your wares and expected a pleasant shopping experience. Instead I was accosted by your political views, which I do not share. It was very uncomfortable and unpleasant browsing with all those signs and T-shirts against amendment one, to the point where I had to leave.”

Here's Replacements Ltd's website. If you wish, show Page and his company your support!

Comments

1. Homophobic haters are antiChrist who do not believe or pretend to believe in Jesus Christ but do not acknowledge Christ for saying that His 2 commandments to love God and to love thy neighbor as thyself, are the highest of all biblical laws. The antiChrist work with the devil who is the master of quoting biblical verses except those 2 top commandments of love from Christ, they avoid using Christ's name but use other names, even 'God', to bring all sort of biblical verses and to lie to prove their disagreements about Christ and his commandments of Love. AntiChrist deceive people that those 2 commandments of love were not above all laws for Christians.

The issue of homosexuality among any other issues is a test of the Christian faith on that choice of who they really believe in the end, to love (stay with Christ and follow His commandments of love) or to hate (succumb to temptation of verses NOT from Christ and his top commandments and to justify their hatred, a deja-vu of story of Eve falling into temptation by satan the snake with the apple for the 'gift' of 'knowledge' and ignoring their true God).

Posted by: Simon | May 25, 2012 1:15:26 PM

2. don't worry, brother. same thing happened to pro-Integrationists in NC. you're on the right side of history.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 25, 2012 1:21:07 PM

3. More proof that so many straight women are fine with gay men in stereotypical roles as long as they know their place and stay in it. Dare to expect to be accepted as a full member of society, though, and watch how quickly their innate homophobia comes cascading out.

Posted by: Rick | May 25, 2012 1:24:27 PM

4. “I am very concerned that with an increased visibility and acceptance of the gay and lesbian lifestyle, one of my children, who would have grown up and been happily married to a husband, could be tempted to the lesbian lifestyle.”
    It truly saddens me that people actually think it works this way. I'm not sure how you argue with or change the mind of someone whose ignorance is borderline mental illness.

Posted by: krispy | May 25, 2012 1:26:23 PM

5. “I am very concerned that with an increased visibility and acceptance of the gay and lesbian lifestyle, one of my children, who would have grown up and been happily married to a husband, could be tempted to the lesbian lifestyle.”

Posted by: krispy | May 25, 2012 1:26:30 PM

6. While it is unfortunately for Replacements, they are NOT the only for-profit company in North Carolina that champions marriage equity and LGBT rights -- notably, Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams have been extremely active for DECADES.

Posted by: Mike in Asheville | May 25, 2012 1:29:59 PM

7. @Krispy Well, truth be told, most people have some degree of bisexual attraction and there is no shortage of people who prefer those of the same gender sexually, but who nevertheless marry someone of the opposite gender because it is easier.

So there is a degree of choice for many people.

But choice should be seen as a good thing, not a bad thing.....and we should be encouraging freedom to choose rather than pretending (and looking defensive in doing so) that there is some black and white line separating "gay" from "straight" and "homosexuality" from "heterosexuality", when there isn't for most people.

Posted by: Rick | May 25, 2012 1:31:29 PM

8. He is on the right side of history.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | May 25, 2012 1:35:38 PM

9. it's not about having a gay or straight child. it's about having a child that's alive or dead. duh.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 25, 2012 1:37:45 PM

10. Those Amendment One freaks remind me of a 'bull in a china shop.'

Posted by: Jon | May 25, 2012 1:38:46 PM

11. Replacements has 80 million in revenue, 10 million customers, and 600 employees. I'd say it is time for Replacement to move to a more friendly state and take its revenues and jobs with them.

Posted by: kujhawker | May 25, 2012 1:41:07 PM

12. I've been a customer of Replacements, Ltd., for years, but didn't know the courageous stand taken by Mr. Page. Their customer service has always been fantastic, and what they don't know about china and crystal probably isn't worth knowing.

I just ordered some wine glasses that I've been wanting for some time (but kept putting off buying!) from this fine company and will use and when the arrive I'll use them for a toast to Mr. Page and all the wonderful staff at Replacements, Ltc.

Posted by: Elsewhere | May 25, 2012 1:44:00 PM

13. I made the same decision when I chose company to host my web site. Bluehost is owned and run by Mormons. I terminated service when I found that out. The church has been very active here in California in promoting Prop. 8, which would invalidate the court sactioned same sex marriage decision. Don't want my money going to that cause. They don't advertise this fact on the Bluehost site.

How is this different from someone buycotting this guy's site? We all make buy decisions this way. I'll never eat Domino's Pizza (1) because its junk and (2) the owner contributes to anti-gay causes. I shop at Target because they have most of what I need and avoid Walmart because of how they treat their employees and how they've caused the mom & pop stores to vanish.

Posted by: Michael Vilain | May 25, 2012 1:48:42 PM

14. This is an excellent company. I have bought items from them and they arrived promptly and in excellent condition. No, I don't work for them or even live in the same state...but it's a company worth shopping at, and doing business with.

Posted by: Rational | May 25, 2012 1:51:41 PM

15. I'm a New Yorker and I just called Replacements ltd and placed an order with customer service for a set of Christmas ornaments, the lady who took my call was so sweet and funny..I told her how I came to find the company through this post and she said "there are so many ignorant people here, if somethings different they throw a rock at it" LOL...

Posted by: nefter | May 25, 2012 1:59:55 PM

16. @ Michael Vilain - I applaud you for shopping with principles, but in case you didn't know, Target donates lots of money to anti-gay groups... They are like Coors for me, in that they have employees and management that are pro-gay, but the founders/owners are homophobic. I refuse to give either company a cent.

Posted by: Graphicjack | May 25, 2012 2:08:35 PM

17. I'm from Greensboro, North Carolina. Replacements, including Bob and his partner, do very important and amazing work in this part of the country to support GLBT issues, to sponsor an annual "Dining For Friends" event with proceeds to the area AIDS Service Organization, and many other positive impacts. They're also great fathers.

Just as the LGBT community has every right to boycott business with whom we disagree, we should *actively* support the businesses who are our advocates. A purchase from Replacements, an e-mail to the company, or a recommendation to your friends and neighbors is the least you can do to help support this great company, great employer, and great employees.

Posted by: Mark | May 25, 2012 2:11:02 PM

18. I just sent him an email showing my support and encourage others to do the same.

nquire@replacements.com

Posted by: Oliver | May 25, 2012 2:11:47 PM

19. ^
    inquire@replacements.com

Posted by: Oliver | May 25, 2012 2:12:16 PM

20. I think you could translate that crazy email from the mom about her possibly-lesbian daughter this way:

"My daughter confessed same-sex attraction to me. I told her this was unacceptable, not allowed, no way. I expect society to back me up on this, and I am worried that won't be the case. Soon, she'll be old enough to move out, and I want to make sure that the world is just as firm on this as I am: no gays allowed."

When you read it that way, it's just as sad and awful, but her understanding of how human sexuality works is a hair's breadth closer to sane.

Posted by: AdamA | May 25, 2012 2:23:15 PM

21. Come to NY.

Posted by: ChrisQ | May 25, 2012 2:42:36 PM

22. I sent for my catalogue. Thanks for posting this.

Posted by: Jonster | May 25, 2012 2:52:31 PM

23. Their website does delivery, meaning that we can potentially make his business boom if we promote them as the place for all who support marriage equality to go their for their wedding and/or civil union registry. I think we need to do just that. National promotion. It'll make the hateful heads explode to find out they've made his business bigger! SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT!!!

Posted by: TheStumblingBlock | May 25, 2012 2:53:58 PM

24. How cool, I've used Replacements Ltd for a long time as a reference when buying Lenox and Spode Christmas Tree pieces. I'll be sure to order some of the pieces I've had my eye on now that I know this!

Posted by: NickS | May 25, 2012 3:09:03 PM

25. Hey Andy, maybe features on businesses that do this kind of work could become a regular thing? I'd gladly change my spending habits to support do-gooders like this

Posted by: Wdeanis | May 25, 2012 3:20:57 PM