Gay ‘Replacements Ltd’ Owner Faces NC Hate After Opposing Amendment One

A business owner who came out against Amendment One with a big financial donation is facing hate and boycotts from anti-equality North Carolinians, the NYT reports:

PageReplacements Limited, which sells silver, china and glassware, and is based in Greensboro. Its founder and chairman, Bob Page, is gay. The company lobbied legislators, contributed money to causes supporting gay marriage, rented a billboard along the interstate near its headquarters, and sold T-shirts at its showroom. Its experience may explain why no other for-profit company followed its example.

Hostile letters and e-mails poured into the company from customers canceling their business and demanding to be removed from its e-mail list. “I understand that your company donated $250,000 or so to the effort to ban the marriage amendment,” read one. “I am very concerned that with an increased visibility and acceptance of the gay and lesbian lifestyle, one of my children, who would have grown up and been happily married to a husband, could be tempted to the lesbian lifestyle.”

Another read: “I was excited to see your wares and expected a pleasant shopping experience. Instead I was accosted by your political views, which I do not share. It was very uncomfortable and unpleasant browsing with all those signs and T-shirts against amendment one, to the point where I had to leave.”

Here's Replacements Ltd's website. If you wish, show Page and his company your support!

Comments

1. Simon says

Homophobic haters are antiChrist who do not believe or pretend to believe in Jesus Christ but do not acknowledge Christ for saying that His 2 commandments to love God and to love thy neighbor as thyself, are the highest of all biblical laws. The antiChrist work with the devil who is the master of quoting biblical verses except those 2 top commandments of love from Christ, they avoid using Christ’s name but use other names, even ‘God’, to bring all sort of biblical verses and to lie to prove their disagreements about Christ and his commandments of Love. AntiChrist deceive people that those 2 commandments of love were not above all laws for Christians.

The issue of homosexuality among any other issues is a test of the Christian faith on that choice of who they really believe in the end, to love (stay with Christ and follow His commandments of love) or to hate (succumb to temptation of verses NOT from Christ and his top commandments and to justify their hatred, a deja-vu of story of Eve falling into temptation by satan the snake with the apple for the ‘gift’ of ‘knowledge’ and ignoring their true God).

2. Rick says

More proof that so many straight women are fine with gay men in stereotypical roles as long as they know their place and stay in it. Dare to expect to be accepted as a full member of society, though, and watch how quickly their innate homophobia comes cascading out.

3. says

It truly saddens me that people actually think it works this way. I’m not sure how you argue with or change the mind of someone whose ignorance is borderline mental illness.

4. says

5. Mike in Asheville says

While it is unfortunately for Replacements, they are NOT the only for-profit company in North Carolina that champions marriage equity and LGBT rights — notably, Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams have been extremely active for DECADES.

6. Rick says

@Krispy Well, truth be told, most people have some degree of bisexual attraction and there is no shortage of people who prefer those of the same gender sexually, but who nevertheless marry someone of the opposite gender because it is easier.

So there is a degree of choice for many people.

But choice should be seen as a good thing, not a bad thing…..and we should be encouraging freedom to choose rather than pretending (and looking defensive in doing so) that there is some black and white line separating “gay” from “straight” and “homosexuality” from “heterosexuality”, when there isn’t for most people.

7. kujhawker says

Replacements has 80 million in revenue, 10 million customers, and 600 employees. I’d say it is time for Replacement to move to a more friendly state and take its revenues and jobs with them.

8. Elsewhere says

I’ve been a customer of Replacements, Ltd., for years, but didn’t know the courageous stand taken by Mr. Page. Their customer service has always been fantastic, and what they don’t know about china and crystal probably isn’t worth knowing.

I just ordered some wine glasses that I’ve been wanting for some time (but kept putting off buying!) from this fine company and will use and when the arrive I’ll use them for a toast to Mr. Page and all the wonderful staff at Replacements, Ltc.

9. says

I made the same decision when I chose company to host my web site. Bluehost is owned and run by Mormons. I terminated service when I found that out. The church has been very active here in California in promoting Prop. 8, which would invalidate the court sactioned same sex marriage decision. Don’t want my money going to that cause. They don’t advertise this fact on the Bluehost site.

How is this different from someone buycotting this guy’s site? We all make buy decisions this way. I’ll never eat Domino’s Pizza (1) because its junk and (2) the owner contributes to anti-gay causes. I shop at Target because they have most of what I need and avoid Walmart because of how they treat their employees and how they’ve caused the mom & pop stores to vanish.

10. Rational says

This is an excellent company. I have bought items from them and they arrived promptly and in excellent condition. No, I don’t work for them or even live in the same state…but it’s a company worth shopping at, and doing business with.

11. nefter says

I’m a New Yorker and I just called Replacements ltd and placed an order with customer service for a set of Christmas ornaments, the lady who took my call was so sweet and funny..I told her how I came to find the company through this post and she said “there are so many ignorant people here, if somethings different they throw a rock at it” LOL…

12. Graphicjack says

@ Michael Vilain – I applaud you for shopping with principles, but in case you didn’t know, Target donates lots of money to anti-gay groups… They are like Coors for me, in that they have employees and management that are pro-gay, but the founders/owners are homophobic. I refuse to give either company a cent.

13. Mark says

I’m from Greensboro, North Carolina. Replacements, including Bob and his partner, do very important and amazing work in this part of the country to support GLBT issues, to sponsor an annual “Dining For Friends” event with proceeds to the area AIDS Service Organization, and many other positive impacts. They’re also great fathers.

Just as the LGBT community has every right to boycott business with whom we disagree, we should *actively* support the businesses who are our advocates. A purchase from Replacements, an e-mail to the company, or a recommendation to your friends and neighbors is the least you can do to help support this great company, great employer, and great employees.

14. AdamA says

I think you could translate that crazy email from the mom about her possibly-lesbian daughter this way:

“My daughter confessed same-sex attraction to me. I told her this was unacceptable, not allowed, no way. I expect society to back me up on this, and I am worried that won’t be the case. Soon, she’ll be old enough to move out, and I want to make sure that the world is just as firm on this as I am: no gays allowed.”

When you read it that way, it’s just as sad and awful, but her understanding of how human sexuality works is a hair’s breadth closer to sane.

15. says

Their website does delivery, meaning that we can potentially make his business boom if we promote them as the place for all who support marriage equality to go their for their wedding and/or civil union registry. I think we need to do just that. National promotion. It’ll make the hateful heads explode to find out they’ve made his business bigger! SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT!!!

16. NickS says

How cool, I’ve used Replacements Ltd for a long time as a reference when buying Lenox and Spode Christmas Tree pieces. I’ll be sure to order some of the pieces I’ve had my eye on now that I know this!

17. Wdeanis says

Hey Andy, maybe features on businesses that do this kind of work could become a regular thing? I’d gladly change my spending habits to support do-gooders like this

18. says

the fear some parents *actually* have is that they won’t be able to control their children.

when the world around them proves their beliefs to be bogus they lose their power. anti-gay parents in a pro-Equality culture have little to no sway.

for too long being gay made you a pariah. step up your visibility and ask your non-gay friends and family to do the same. popular opinion “counts” – and when people realize that being ANTI-GAY makes you the pariah it’s a real incentive to get with the times.

19. Tim NC says

@MIKE IN ASHEVILLE…. Mitchell Gold and Bob Williams did not participate in the fight against Amendment One.

20. Tim NC says

@RICK…. Based on your own description it’s not the sexual orientation that is a “choice”. It’s what a person decides to do or not do about it. In the case you cite, the “choice” is to ignore the natural orientation and choose an opposite -sex marriage for convenience.

21. Tim NC says

22. jim says

Well, unless that sad example of a
    Southern Lady knows of another place to find that completer set for her discontinued flatware, or a replacement for the saucer she broke, while a little too tipsy to be doing dishes, she’s just gonna have to put up with the hommersekshuls! She was so uncomfortable that she had to leave…notice she doesn’t say whether or not she bought what she needed before walking out the door!

23. says

I can understand boycotts when business owners discriminate against specific groups, but this business owner *opposed* discrimination. Obviously our opponents don’t view it this way, but the FACT remains that only ONE side is imposing its values on others, and that is the hateful Anti-Gay side.

24. boone68 says

How many of those hillbillies would actually buy something so tasteful and expensive in the first place?

25. says

Thanks Mr. Page, you are a mensch! He has chutzpah too! It is courageous for him to stand up for a just cause, just as it was for the early drag queens who fought back to change archaic anti-gay laws in San Francisco and elsewhere and were in the front lines of the gay rights movement. Again, Thank you Mr. Page for being there for gays in N.C and America.

26. UFFDA says

I have spent a good deal of money on replacements from Replacements, and now, in addition to being a satisfied customer, couldn’t be prouder one.

And I’m with MDENIS – more stories about businesses we can support.

27. UFFDA says

Now if Mr. Page could just find me one of those wonderful brown Arabia mugs, also an espresso cup!

28. johnny says

The silly part is how many of these boycotters will be back when they realize how few places one can go to replace a missing or broken piece of china or silver. Replacements is a near-monopoly and good for them! I hope their business increases because of this!

29. John says

Bob–

Just read the Times article. Thanks for all you have done and are doing on behalf of our community in the fight for gay marriage equality

30. Oliver says

I wrote to Mr Page (offering my support) and received the following reply:

On behalf of Bob Page, thank you for your supportive comment regarding Replacements’ public opposition to Amendment One.

As you know, our Founder, Chairman & CEO is Bob Page. Bob grew up on a small tobacco farm in North Carolina. After graduating from the University of North Carolina, he served in the United States Army, leaving active duty in 1970. Bob founded Replacements, Ltd. in 1981, having started the business in his attic. Today, the company is the largest retailer of discontinued and active tableware in the country. Bob shares his life with his partner of 23 years, Dale Frederiksen. Together, they are raising their almost thirteen-year-old sons, twins they adopted as infants in Vietnam.

Because of the discrimination that Bob has experienced, he is committed to ensuring that all persons, including lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons, achieve equal protection under the law. For that reason, Bob is personally active in shaping public policy, and he proudly supports candidates who support the rights of LGBT persons, regardless of party affiliation. He has publicly advocated for the defeat of Amendment One because, as he has said, it is contrary to our core value of affirming the dignity of all persons. The matter is deeply personal to him, because it relates to what is most important to him: his family.

We thank you again for your comment, recommendations and send our best wishes.

31. Swiminbuff says

I wrote a letter of support to him and received a very nice response back. Did not know that he and his partner are raising twins that they adopted in Vietnam. Anyway, it does not seem as if he will be backing down anytime soon on his support of LGBT community in his home state.

32. StevyD says

Come on people, break a plate, drop a glass, bend a spoon; Replacements has the most complete inventory of tableware I have ever seen. Go on line to replacements.com, find your pattern and let’s get clumsy! Bob Page deserves it.

33. Jerry6 says

He screwed up with the posters in his store. No businessman that deal with the public should EVER put political posters in their place of business; especially about a publicly controversial matter.
    Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!

34. StevyD says

JERRY6, your advice is right only when the support is for evil and nasty things (like republicans), in Bob’s case it is a sign of good breeding and righteousness.

35. Dave says

More proof that anti-gay Christians are oppressive and evil. They are the ones possessed by Satan and they do not even know it. Who else would want to destroy people that God has made to be equal?

36. ahharden says

Not only doI and my family support Robert, he is a GREAT SOURCE OF PRIDE AND INSPIRATION! Our GAY son just received his Masters from ECU as a therapist for which he particularly centers on LGBT adolescents as well as those who battle with substance abuse issues of both the Gay as well Straight.
    Without your strong support and enlightened approach toward the LGBT citizens, they would be greatly bereft of not only a splendid role model but also an invaluable VOICE in our state. I am sorry to see how NC, a previously progressive state has become mean spirited and tremendously HOMOPHOBIC as well as RACIST to ALL MINORITY populations!
    Robert , we will never be able to thank you enough for what you’ve for our STATE as well as a role model for our son.
    Long may you live and prosper, for you are certainly a STATE/NATIONAL treasure!!!