Jimmy Kimmel | News

Jimmy Kimmel Asks Pedestrians if They've Had a Gay Experience: VIDEO

Kimmelgay

Jimmy Kimmel surveys pedestrians - have you ever had a gay experience?

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I love this, very fun. In high school, we learned something about surveys and I remember wanting to do a sex survey where one question was about gay feelings and I fantasized about marking the surveys so I'd know everyone's true feelings, lol.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | May 18, 2012 11:17:10 AM

2. Why didn't Jimmy tell us about his gay experiences?

Posted by: benjamin | May 18, 2012 11:29:45 AM

3. w00t! That was hilarious! I nearly spit out my milk!

Posted by: Alan | May 18, 2012 11:57:34 AM

4. I don't like having gay sex turned into a comedy bit. Jimmy Kimmel is creepy and this bit seems more than a little homophobic. I didn't have an opinion on Jimmy Kimmel before this as I had never seen his show. I will definitely avoid him after this. He is not our friend.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 18, 2012 11:57:43 AM

5. Nullnaught, I agree.. by turning gay sex into a joke it just continues to marginalize us..

Posted by: Lucas | May 18, 2012 12:00:47 PM

6. @nullnaught: So you admit that you know nothing about Jimmy Kimmel and yet immediately brand him as a homophobe? ("He is not our friend)

Posted by: Brian | May 18, 2012 12:05:41 PM

7. Hey @NullNaught, ALL sex is funny. I don't see this as homophobic at all. In fact, I thought many of the answers were charming and disarming. "Look at her tits!" was my favorite.

Posted by: Abel | May 18, 2012 12:07:47 PM

8. Jimmy Kimmel is always doing these audience participation survey skits. This is the first one he's done on having a gay experience. Nothing homophobic about it. Lighten up already!

Posted by: Albert | May 18, 2012 12:08:01 PM

9. I'm not exactly psyched that this appeared on a comedy show. Nonetheless I think it's a fascinating experiment, having a group of people anticipate the survey answers. It says a lot about what we think we can intuit from a brief encounter with a person...reveals something about the judgments and presumptions we seem to share.

Posted by: Rick | May 18, 2012 12:12:26 PM

10. @Brian
    I am not forgiving of straights who do anything homophobic at all ever. Zero tolerance, no second chances. I view this as homophobic. What else do I need? He has already ruined himself with me. There is no coming back from a single homophobic slur or action or even intimation.
    I don't H8STR8S any more, but I sure as $hit don't like them. I give them no wiggle room.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 18, 2012 12:16:19 PM

11. @ NULLAUGHT: So you don't think that knowing the context of a remark might influence its meaning?

Posted by: G.I. Joe | May 18, 2012 12:24:09 PM

12. I'm sure all of these people knew upfront that the interviewer was from Kimmel's show and the question was going to be humorous. You'll notice none of them were outraged or indignant. What I do find funny is that one out of every two girls said yes. And, of course, our gaydar is spot on. It was obvious to me that even if the guy who dabbled in college said no, we wouldn't believe him. I applaud the openly gay guy. Ten/Twenty years ago people would have just kept on walking or told the interviewer off. Life for gay people is getting better.

Posted by: OS2Guy | May 18, 2012 12:27:43 PM

13. @GIJoe
    This is not a remark. This is a comedy bit based on the premise that there is something funny about asking people if they have had a homosexual experience. The purpose is to embarrase people on the street over homosexuality. This strikes me as more and more homophobic the longer I think about it.
    The context itself is what I object to, not any particular statements within the bit. What comment do you think I have taken out of context?

Posted by: NullNaught | May 18, 2012 12:30:30 PM

14. I found nothing homophobic about it. On the contrary, I thought it was handled in a positive and light tone. Just like being gay SHOULD be.

Posted by: Joe | May 18, 2012 12:45:46 PM

15. Having such question for a fun poll just goes on to show how much our society has evolved in our perception of what "gay" is- Years ago everyone would have just answered NO to that question on camera instead of being candid about it...

And this makes me like Jimmy Kimmel even more!
    =)

Posted by: George F | May 18, 2012 12:51:13 PM

16. Nullnaught writes: "
    The purpose is to embarrase people on the street over homosexuality. This strikes me as more and more homophobic the longer I think about it..."

I don't think it was homophobic at all. And if the purpose was to embarrass people, it was an utter failure. Not a single person was embarrassed at all.

Posted by: Jeff | May 18, 2012 12:51:31 PM

17. I think I'd be forced to answer "yes".

Posted by: anon | May 18, 2012 12:53:07 PM

18. Hilarious and thoroughly entertaining.

Posted by: Rascal | May 18, 2012 12:54:06 PM

19. @Jeff
    Try turning it around; if he had asked people if they had had a heterosexual experience there is no joke, is there? People wouldn't even understand it is supposed to be funny. The only thing that is supposed to make it funny is homosexuality as apposed to heterosexuality. thus homosexuality is the joke. Making homosexaulity into a joke is blatantly homophobic, in my mind. It is demeaning to gays to make there sexuality into a joke.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 18, 2012 12:59:32 PM

20. Oh for God's sake people, lighten up. This is not mocking gay people. The producers never would have even asked such a question on the Tonight Show 30 years ago.

As for some of the responses, had Kimmel asked "Have you had sex with a woman?" in The Castro, you would have dozens of men affecting instant drag queen "Oh Hell No!"

Posted by: David Hearn | May 18, 2012 1:01:45 PM

21. Most people don't like being asked about their sexual desires by a stranger (people voluntarily answering a questionnaire is another thing.) If the general public thinks that gay rights leads to being humiliated in public and especially being forced to admit to (or lie about by denying) bicuriosity or bisexual feelings, they will turn against gay rights in droves.

I'd be careful with this kind of "comedy." Just sayin....

Posted by: Mary | May 18, 2012 1:09:22 PM

22. The fact that NULLNAUGHT says, "I don't H8STR8S any more, but I sure as $hit don't like them" says a lot. Why would you ever make such a blanket statement? You dislike ALL straight people?

I don't see homophobia in this. They've done this segment before, and it was on topic this week because of Obama's gay marriage comments. And why can't we have humorous discussions about sex and sexuality? I've been to dinner with large groups of gay people and the whole, "Have you had sex with a woman?" conversation always gets some hilarious answers. It can work both ways.

I realize there is a lot of homophobia in the world, but Jesus Christ on a cracker, some of the comments on Towleroad take small, innocuous things way too seriously.

Posted by: Ryan | May 18, 2012 1:14:38 PM

23. Lighten up!

This was actually quite sweet and respectful -- where in the past there would have been GROANS.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | May 18, 2012 1:18:53 PM

24. I like the video, and the comments are good, but NULLNAUGHT does have a point. I hear you, NULL.

Posted by: nikko | May 18, 2012 1:46:10 PM

25. @Ryan
    Unless I have reason to like a straight person, I don't. We have had different experiences with str8s. I can't forgive what has been done to me. It is a measure of progress that I can even say I don't hate all of them anymore. It is only since seeing how many str8s now stand up for us on Towleroad that I have been able to make it to this point. I suspect we are of different generations and that you have had a relatively easy life.
    You were at a party where everyone was in on the game and consented presumably to be questioned in such a fashion. What if Jimmy asked that question of somebody who was in the closet? Can you imagine how devastating that would be? The guy would go home wondering what gave him away. He would be sick with fear for days. You can hardly imagine the pain Jimmy would cause (probably has caused) such a person
    Maybe you are a facist like Littlekiwi and you don't think anyone has the RIGHT to be in the closet. Maybe you think people don't have the right to that sort of privacy. When put on the spot like that, people feel like they have to say something. Their sexuality has been challenged. This is really a very very ugly thing. I can't believe you don't see that.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 18, 2012 2:03:56 PM