News | Science

MIT Student Gets The Last Drop: VIDEO

Liquiglide

Dave Smith, a PhD candidate at MIT, could be a very rich man if he patents a new coating called "LiquiGlide" that he invented. The non-toxic substance guarantees you and yours enjoy every last drop of whatever may be at the bottom of a bottle.

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I think he's also discovered a new method of birth control!

Posted by: Jack M | May 24, 2012 11:14:12 AM

2. I wonder if it's safe to use with latex condoms

Posted by: Grover Underwood | May 24, 2012 11:15:22 AM

3. i wonder if it will effect the recyclability of glass bottles with things like ketchup in them.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | May 24, 2012 11:39:35 AM

4. Oh, please no. Glass was one of the last safe places to keep food. AGH!

Posted by: cgd | May 24, 2012 11:45:00 AM

5. Yeah, and after a year or two of using Luiqiglide they'll tell us it causes cancer in laboratory animals. No thanks, I'll keep spanking my ketchup's bottom.

Posted by: Peter | May 24, 2012 11:52:21 AM

6. OMG did you watch the mayonnaise one? I vomited in my mouth.

Posted by: Ian | May 24, 2012 12:24:25 PM

7. Ice skating without ice? Urban Hockey leagues? Good times!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 24, 2012 12:35:23 PM

8. I don't know about that whole 'rich man' thing.

I mean, if you're Heinz, why would you buy this? So your product will cost you more to make per bottle? So consumers will be able to get more out of your product, hence buy less of it? So two years down the road when we realize the chemicals are bad for us, Heinz faces a huge consumer backlash?

Posted by: kpo5 | May 24, 2012 12:45:13 PM

9. I'm sure the food industry will not like the loss of profits from this, though it has a certain PR/marketing appeal.

Posted by: anon | May 24, 2012 1:04:27 PM

10. Heinz may not want to precoat their bottles but I cOuld see every restaurant using it in all of their bottles on the tables and the numerous refillable bottles of sauces used in the kitchen.
    This stuff is a bit creepy but I'd still give it a shot.

Posted by: Shawn | May 24, 2012 1:05:32 PM

11. It's probably a very hydrophobic (water repellant) surface made with a polymer coating similar to teflon. So it costs something.

On the other hand, I just add a little water to the bottle and give it a good shake. Costs nothing and almost everything comes out. Things in bottles tend to dry out so adding a little water is helpful in other ways (keeps the viscosity the same).

Posted by: Sauce for the goose | May 24, 2012 1:18:20 PM

12. I didn't think ketchup could look even more revolting than it already does. Well done. Well done.

Posted by: jexer | May 24, 2012 1:19:16 PM

13. I think it's a hit. And I think it makes economic sense. Now the ketchup, mustard, whatever, will slide out, you'll use too much and have to buy more. Sort of the same concept of the big bottles of everything. When you have more, say shampoo in a huge bottle, instead of using a dab, you are more likely to use a big glob. And the producer sells more.

Posted by: dms | May 24, 2012 1:35:25 PM

14. Now can we get rid of those grotesque plastic ketchup containers?

Posted by: carl | May 24, 2012 3:14:45 PM

15. Why do I imagine that it will go through our digestive tracks in exactly the same way?

Posted by: Kevin | May 24, 2012 3:18:26 PM