2012 Election | Barack Obama | Family Research Council | Gay Marriage | News | Tony Perkins

CNN Invites Hate Group Leader to Weigh in on Obama Marriage Equality Announcement: VIDEO

Perkins

Family Research Council's Tony Perkins joins Wolf Blitzer to offer a hate group perspective on the Obama announcement. Jeremy Hooper notes: "CNN continues to pretend Tony is a mere pundit who doesn't routinely say beyond the pale things."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. on the plus side, it was on CNN so probably no one watched it.

Posted by: alguien | May 9, 2012 7:20:33 PM

2. CNN is so beneath contempt at this point, a total failure as a channel. I don't even know where it is on the cable guide, somewhere in the 70s apparently. I no longer ever watch it, and here is a great reason why. (Only exception, Kathy Griffin/Anderson Cooper new year's eve banter, which is marginally preferable to Ryan Seacrust.)

Posted by: SoLeftImRight | May 9, 2012 7:30:50 PM

3. I may be done with the news for awhile after today, for my own mental health. It was wingnuts on parade here today. Cannot allow this poison into my life right now.

Posted by: AJ | May 9, 2012 7:33:21 PM

4. I watched a recent interview with Ted Turner.
    It looked like he was going to bawl every time someone mentioned CNN. Me, too.

Posted by: chuck | May 9, 2012 7:34:24 PM

5. Notice how they gave them a free advertisement by displaying the website behind him?

Posted by: carl | May 9, 2012 7:34:31 PM

6. Wolf Blitzer is a noted homophobe, so no surprises there. Just doing the hate groups bidding.

Posted by: Molc | May 9, 2012 7:39:57 PM

7. I disagree with most commenters here. If you only want one side of an argument, then watch MSNBC (or if you are right-wing - FOX News). For the most part, I like the Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer. I can listen to both sides, for the most part without an interviewer injecting their own personal views. Let the guests show their ass!! I prefer CNN over other cable News networks because I think I get more unbiased news.

Posted by: CB | May 9, 2012 7:52:26 PM

8. Blitzer is a rethug prostitute. So?

Posted by: candideinncc | May 9, 2012 7:55:02 PM

9. What loss of religious freedom has or will happen with gay marriage equality? Name ONE freedom.

Posted by: Dale | May 9, 2012 7:58:32 PM

10. Thanks for nothing Wolf. Blitzer let Perkins spill his lies unchallenged, as per. If I was one of his gay friends i'd be giving Wolfie what for!!

Posted by: Gigi | May 9, 2012 7:58:51 PM

11. David Duke's best friend - that's the only description of Tony we should use. If you use a Klansman's mailing list to begin your own political life, as Tony did, you should be described as a "self-professed white supremicist" forever thereafter.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | May 9, 2012 8:39:42 PM

12. I dont mind interview him, but CNN needs to state that he is representing a hate group as labeled by the SLPC

Posted by: Malaysian Ho | May 9, 2012 9:13:46 PM

13. I don't necessarily mind that they interview him. But then they should do an actual f*cking interview! Don't just let him spew his nonsense unchallenged. I mean seriously, Perkins asserts that gay people have all the rights of straight people, and Blitzer sits there and takes it?? What about binational couples that are being broken apart? Are gays and straights equal there?? Learn how to do an actual interview.

Posted by: Rick | May 9, 2012 9:30:20 PM

14. Wolf Blitzer enabled Glen Beck, he and CNN enable hate groups to speak unchallenged and unidentified as hate groups. Des anyone really watch CNN anymore. Piers Morgan? Anderson? Only on 60 Minutes.

Posted by: MCnNYC | May 9, 2012 11:28:14 PM

15. This is the USA. We have freedom of speech in this democratic country. Everyone has the right to state their opinions and try to win folks over to their side. If you want to live in a country where only one side of any position is allowed, there are many Muslim nations that you might want to check out. The only problem there is that your positions might get you beheaded or imprisoned.

Posted by: andrew | May 9, 2012 11:47:23 PM

16. The issue is journalists not challenging factually incorrect statements. If you fail to ask follow up questions, fail to ask people to back up their claims with actual references then viewers are fooled into believing anything anyone says...CNN in appearing to air both sides of the story end up doing both sides a disservice. I stick to BBC News !

Posted by: paul | May 10, 2012 12:07:34 AM

17. Andrew you twit. It's because he's not being challenged for the rubbish he says basically giving him a platform to lie. He does that on his site to his flock, why do it on a supposed partisan channel? Heard of investigative journalist?

Probably not. I'm sure you're in your early twenties and ain't seen it in your lifetime.

Posted by: Rowan | May 10, 2012 12:45:41 AM

18. @Rowan: TWIT: "an insignificant or bothersome person". No apology because my freedom of expression bothered you. Is CNN a "supposed partisan channel"? I do however wish that you were right about my age. You missed by about 50 years. I am 73. I await your charge of senility.

Posted by: andrew | May 10, 2012 1:45:45 AM

19. No Andrew, twit still works.

Posted by: ger | May 10, 2012 1:48:19 AM

20. @Ger: Who was talking to you?

Posted by: andrew | May 10, 2012 1:55:28 AM

21. This interview is kinda disturbing because you can tell Perkins handpicked these questions which means these hate groups have far more power than previously imagined.

Posted by: Michael | May 10, 2012 2:50:44 AM

22. The best thing about Tony Perkins is that he's a reality check: if Tony's against it, you know that everyone should be for it!

Posted by: Tarc | May 10, 2012 3:07:31 AM

23. One episode of Good Morning America has more viewers than CNN has in an entire month. GMA's ratings are going to go through the roof tomorrow. The Today Show may as well just go black for the day...better yet they should just do an hour with Sarah Palin.

Posted by: Oliver | May 10, 2012 3:46:37 AM

24. It is amazing how you can see the pure "hatred" in these people (Tony and Maggie) by how awful they look - they are aging so fast! And not well.

Screw them! We are going to move forward. This older generation will die with their old rheteric and future generations of gays and lesbians as well as hetrosexuals will benefit from equality.

I have no children - so my devotion is to all the new gays and lesbians!

Posted by: GRivera | May 10, 2012 7:09:46 AM

25. This is not a “war on marriage” issue as the groups who oppose presents it over and over – it is a religious issue (supposedly) for those who oppose it. Separation of church and state allows us move forward. These people should keep their faith a bit more personal and not attempt to customize others with it.

Posted by: GRivera | May 10, 2012 8:02:12 AM