Raven Symone: ‘My Sexual Orientation is Mine to Know’

Raven

In response to a National Enquirer story that she's dating and living with an America's Next Top Model contestant  in New York City, actress Raven Symone today tweeted that she doesn't plan on sharing her sexual orientation with anyone.

Tweeted Symone:

"I'm living my PERSONAL life the way I'm happiest. I'm not one, in my 25 year career to disclose who I'm dating. and I shall not start now….My sexual orientation is mine, and the person I'm datings to know. I'm not one for a public display of my life…However that is my right as a HUMAN BEing whether straight or gay. To tell or not to tell. As long as I'm not harming anyone…I am a light being made from love. And my career is the only thing I would like to put on display, not my personal life. Kisses!"

Comments

1. R says

Hmm. It seems like if she wants to keep her personal life private (which is fine), the best way to do it would be to ignore the story and let it die. These tweets almost beg people to make it into a story.

2. says

Sounds a little Latifah-y, no?

The issue of “outing” is a controversial one, but if the cat’s already out of the bag…may as well own up to it, even if it wasn’t on your timeline. No point in running away from it…that’s so craven.

3. says

I always find when people say that their relationships are their own business (which they are)it still seems to scream, “I’m gay! Leave me alone.”. Straight people never seem to go through the trouble – they just say they are straight and that’s that.
    One more reason I can’t wait for marriage equality…

4. Tadpolicus Wex says

Even though I think visibility is the greatest weapon we have to fight bigotry and intolerance Raven is alas an entertainer and not a spokesperson or civil rights activist for glbt causes. Every step of the way she has been respectful and complimentary of our community and asked for her private life to remain so…she owes us nothing. Perhaps someday when/if she is ready to come out we can embrace her without judgment. NOT TO MENTION THE FACT that she has the triple whammy of being black an female…that’s a heavy burden. Not eeryone can be as fly as Pam Spaulding (shot out to a sister from another mister)!

5. Joey Y says

Lets’s say, for the sake of argument, that she’s straight. The exact same thing applies: she has a right to a private life. It’s astounding that so many people on this site have a complaint about that when, frankly, a huge portion of the coverage here is about how awful it is for the GOP and fundies to police YOUR private lives. She’s an entertainer. You are invited to see the characters she plays, and nothing more. When you go to a restaurant, you see what they bring to the table. What goes on in the kitchen is not your concern, period.

6. says

That was kind of a bad analogy, Joey. I very much disagree with anyone who says it’s not the costumer’s business what goes on in the kitchen at a restaurant. That’s why we have strict regulations on restaurants.

7. KP says

Hmm, if she said nothing the story would have died. Now that she responded with a “my sexual orientation is my own business”, the story will never die. I believe everyone has the right to their privacy but usually the only people who remain vague about their orientation when asked are LGBT. Straight people also answer with a “Lol, sorry but I am straight”. They never let their sexuality be vague. That said I do not believe she should be driven out of the closet. Her life is her own life.

8. Obviously says

It was always obvious she way gay. In EVERY interview, she gets VERY defensive when asked about her personal life and said she doesn’t talk about it. We all know that line is code for “I’m gay”.

9. Joey Y says

@ RYAN, what goes on in the kitchen of a restaurant is ONLY your concern in regards to your health. Her sex life has no effect whatsoever on you.

10. Paul R says

No, “In other words I’m a lesbian and I’m worried that it will cost me money.”

At least she didn’t totally lie, but she did out herself. But who cares?

11. ventura79 says

Lesbi-honest! this is all oh so Ricky Martin and Queen Latifah. Give her a couple of years and she’ll come out with a book, will parade her new wife and babies, and will support the LGBT cause . shameless publicity stunt!

12. Frankie says

No, Raven, you’re just another spoiled-rotten Hollywood brat, brainwashed by the closet-case enthusiasts you call PR, who’s trying to pull the “personal life” card to avoid, I don’t know, honesty? Who you date, IS part of your personal life…but your sexuality, is not.

13. Ryan says

She indeed has a right to her own private life. However, since no heterosexual in history has ever said “my sexual orientation is mine to know”, she has effectively outed herself and acknowledged that she is ashamed of being a lesbian.