Sean Hayes, Eric McCormack, Debra Messing React to VP Joe Biden’s ‘Will & Grace’ Shout-out

Willandgrace

Yesterday in his remarks in support of marriage equality, VP Joe Biden offered a shout-out to late 90's sitcom Will & Grace:

And by the way, my measure, David — and I take a look at when things really began to change, is when the social culture changes. I think Will and Grace probably did more to educate the American public than almost anything anybody's ever done so far.

The show's stars had their own reactions:

Said actor Sean Hayes

"On behalf of everyone who worked on 'Will and Grace', we thank Vice President Biden for his comments regarding our show as well as his support for equality for gay Americans and everyone in the LGBT community."

Tweeted Debra Messing: "@chrisdonovannbc @ericmccormack I could not be more proud. Thank you Mr. Vice President for yer support  and yer words about W&G. #humbled"

And Eric McCormack: "Three cheers for VP Joe Biden!  Fantastic interview.  Now who ELSE is gonna step up?"

Comments

1. rovex says

Maybe, but at least partly true. Every decade has a show that breaks the rules and makes something ‘controversial’ mainstream. It certainly wasnt Queer as Folk which was never mainstream.

2. Brian says

I’ve always said this, although it’s not a popular view in the gay community. Gays either complain about the campiness of Jack, or alternatively the sterility of the gay characters, but politically this was a huge win. Will, in particular, introduced middle America to the kind of gay man they could relate to, and feel bad depriving of his rights.

3. RJ says

‘yer’

You’re giving a shout-out to the Vice President of the United States of America, and you use ‘yer’.

I have the angriest eyes in the world.

4. kaccompany says

She used ‘yer’ because it has one less letter than ‘your’… she was on Twitter where you are limited in the number of characters you can use.

5. says

I’ve never understood the complaints about the camp nature of Jack or the show. Know what the Jack character said to this young gay guy here, who was a teen when the show was on the air? That you can be whoever the f**k you are and you will find people who love you for it. Helped me Come Out in high school, that’s for sure.

Some gay people still have that knee-jerk, and baseless, fear of anything that “the straights” deem a stereotype, regardless of the fact that the “stereotype” in question can’t even be pointed out as being in any way inherently negative. what next, being worried that gay characters are too witty and Wilde-ian? 😉

*cue angry poster saying something about “femmes”, yet made from an anonymous handle*
    😉

the show brought gay into the living room of middle america. it brought gay out in a way that i think every intelligent one of us will see was “gay for straight audiences”, in the sense that it was indeed “mainstream” – there’s a much-needed place for that in our society.

6. Dr Mortimer says

I have some much love for that show. So much love.

I can’t think of one episode that hadn’t me laughing out loud. And it’s one of the rare series that I find myself re-watching once a year with pleasure.

7. Don says

I remember the episode where Jack and Will staged a kiss because a kiss between 2 guys on a daytime soap had been edited out. It was an inspired but of protest: in character, seamlessly woven into the plot and funny, so that no one could really object. It was groundbreaking, so much so that kisses these days on Smash and Glee, and the gay guy on GCB are just there, as they should be. That was just one instance of what the VP means — and he is right.