David Letterman | Kiss | News | Will Smith

BigGayDeal.com

Will Smith Discusses Kiss from Male Reporter on Letterman: VIDEO

Will_smith

On Friday, I posted about a male Ukrainian reporter's attempt to kiss Will Smith on the carpet of Men in Black 3 in Moscow. Last night, on Letterman, Smith discussed the incident, and his reaction:

"It's just awkward, Dave!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Sorry Will, not buying it.

Posted by: Greg | May 23, 2012 3:15:12 PM

2. Sorry, Will. It's been a long standing tradition for Russian men to kiss each other on the mouth. It's part of their culture. French men who have no problem on kissing on the cheek/s have often mocked the Russians for their habit de s'embrasser sur la bouche. All that money of yours, Will, invest in an education.

Posted by: candide001 | May 23, 2012 3:20:29 PM

3. Is it awkward because he's used to hiring male prostitutes and keeping it on the 'down-low' or is it awkward because he and his lesbian wife are getting tired of playing the fake hetro game?

Posted by: SFshawn | May 23, 2012 3:26:31 PM

4. Awkward Will? Seriously??? You've been kissing men for years! Who eff do you think you kidding???

Posted by: dc20008 | May 23, 2012 3:29:10 PM

5. Fooling. No. One.

Posted by: scotsyank | May 23, 2012 3:30:33 PM

6. Yeah! not buying it either, most people would have laughed it off, but to slap the dude...not cool. In this case it's your actions that speak louder than your opinion Will.

Posted by: Johnny | May 23, 2012 3:33:34 PM

7. The nerve of these people! Everyone gay knows that hes gay and his wife is a lesbian. Hes a pathetic excuse for a human being.

Posted by: Alex | May 23, 2012 3:34:54 PM

8. please make the creepy pointy face man go away. i recoil every time i see him.

Posted by: D | May 23, 2012 3:35:00 PM

9. He refused to kiss an actor in his film Six Degrees of Seperation, in which he played a GAY character. I've hated him since then, but my gaydar isnt going off when I watched the clip he's discussing or this clip. HMMMMM. Is Jada the only gay one in that relationship or what?

Posted by: mattsy | May 23, 2012 3:35:25 PM

10. Whether he's gay or not, I don't know if I'd want some skeevy reporter I don't know to kiss me on the lips. Just sayin'.

Posted by: solice | May 23, 2012 3:44:39 PM

11. @Solice. You're the first sane person to comment on this news article.
    @Everyone else, project muct?

Posted by: Edd | May 23, 2012 3:48:47 PM

12. Bring on the h8rs.

Posted by: Edd | May 23, 2012 3:50:46 PM

13. Whether Smith is gay or not doesn't matter. The Russian is known to purposely do this as a joke. Some think slapping the guy goes to far, but too bad, you don't get to dictate people's reactions when put in any situation. I'd do the same and have when a guy tries to kiss me or grab my ass in a club. Same thing, personal space should be respected.

Posted by: Tom | May 23, 2012 3:54:08 PM

14. That should've been Ukrainian reporter, not Russian. Doesn't really matter either way.

Posted by: Tom | May 23, 2012 4:00:40 PM

15. what Will Smith shoulda said is "He caught me off guard..and my 1st reaction wa to put my hand up"...." I had no idea that was that reporters schtick" see ez peezy

Posted by: Disgusted American | May 23, 2012 4:11:16 PM

16. The Ukrainian reporter's schtick is to kiss his subjects in an attempt to test them in the same way Sasha Baron Cohen pushes limits of social awkwardness. Not a fan of La Smith, and though I don't have the same issue Mr. Smith has with kissing men, I share his objection to unwanted advances.

Posted by: jed | May 23, 2012 4:53:33 PM

17. I don't care if he's gay or not. I have to agree that I would not wanna be kissed by some random stranger.

Posted by: DrJWL | May 23, 2012 5:11:45 PM

18. I completely support Will Smith on this. I would slap someone that tried to kiss me, too. It's not ok to just walk up to a stranger and kiss them. It doesn't mean you hate gay people or your closeted or you don't support gay rights...it just means I respect myself and my private space and you're a stranger.

Anybody trying to make this into something else is just being stupid. It's not ok for a stranger to kiss you. Shake hands, yes. Try to sexually assault you, no.

I can't believe this is even a debate.

Posted by: Charlie | May 23, 2012 5:13:45 PM

19. Unwanted advances are unwanted advances. And Smith didn't SLAP him, he kind of half-ass brushed him away with his hand.
    It may be the reporters schtick... but to someone unaware? I'd have decked him.

Posted by: JimmyD | May 23, 2012 5:27:31 PM

20. Maybe that reporter should try kissing President Putin.See how well that goes over.

Posted by: gb | May 23, 2012 5:36:42 PM

21. Its considered proper etiquette for a traveller to adapt to the culture of the country they are visiting. It may be understandable that Will misunderstood the kiss and panicked, but even do, he crossed a line when he resorted to a (very mild) violent act. This was NOT an advance or an assault... It was a greeting that if anyone would have done their homework, would have been understood as such. It's arrogant behaviour like this, where Americans and even worse, celebrity Americans, expect everyone to adapt to what THEY are comfortable with, that gives them the reputation of Ugly American Tourists.

Posted by: Graphicjack | May 23, 2012 6:11:07 PM

22. Its considered proper etiquette for a traveller to adapt to the culture of the country they are visiting. It may be understandable that Will misunderstood the kiss and panicked, but even do, he crossed a line when he resorted to a (very mild) violent act. This was NOT an advance or an assault... It was a greeting that if anyone would have done their homework, would have been understood as such. It's arrogant behaviour like this, where Americans and even worse, celebrity Americans, expect everyone to adapt to what THEY are comfortable with, that gives them the reputation of Ugly American Tourists.

Posted by: Graphicjack | May 23, 2012 6:11:23 PM

23. @GRAPHICJACK:
    Are you HIGH or what?
    What the reporter did clearly had an intention and it WAS NOT a cultural thing. You should know better man!
    As for the news, it is unbelievable that some people are discussing whether Will Smith is gay or not without even care about the fact that this was a completely out of line reporter who provided with an unsolicited kiss and NO ONE should be expected to take that!.
    Honestly, I expect a little more educated opinions people...

Posted by: ElCid | May 23, 2012 6:38:04 PM

24. (closet)Queen, please.

Posted by: marks | May 23, 2012 7:04:50 PM

25. Jinkies what a bunch of idiots. Congrats Andy on stirring the pot.

Posted by: Gio | May 23, 2012 7:14:05 PM