News | Transgender

What Is Your Opposite Gender Name?

LydiaDeetzWhen I'm rude to my mother, which is not often because she very early on instilled a deep respect in me of women [The right would have a field day with that, no?], she tells me, "I should have named you Richard."

You know, as in Dick. It is a phrase that I suppose is a throw-back to days in which humor was more - um - nuanced.

I was thinking about that today - because, boy, do I have a Dick in my life - and then I remembered that mama always told me that had I been a girl my name would have been Lydia. Lydia Belonsky. Atrocious, right?

Not that I think "Lydia" is an unattractive name, but the combination just doesn't work and I am still stumped to this day why my mother, typically so smart, would think "Lydia Belonsky" had a ring to it. That moniker also always makes me think of Lydia Deetz, the character played by Winona Ryder in Beetlejuice, which made finding a picture for this post quite easy.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that I am wondering whether any of you readers had alternate gender names or, even better, are transitioning and deciding on a more "gender appropriate" name.

Do tell in the comments.

Comments

1. Vanesse

Posted by: V-8 | May 10, 2012 4:59:31 PM

2. Had I been born bereft of a y-chromosome, I am told my name would’ve been Eden Noel.

Glad I was born with a penis!

Posted by: ichabod | May 10, 2012 5:00:29 PM

3. My first name is Barry, but I go by my middle name because a neighbor girl born shortly after me was named Barry (or Barrie). I suppose I would have had much the same name if I had been a girl. However, and this is telling, my mother's pet name for me when I was young was a play on Barry: Babs.

Posted by: Kyle | May 10, 2012 5:01:27 PM

4. Jacqueline Christian.

My older sister was taking French and they gave themselves names and that's the one she chose. I used to dress up in her clothes and pretend I was Jacqueline Christian with a cadre of swarthy frenchmen to feed me grapes and change the Nintendo cartridges when I wanted to play a new game.

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | May 10, 2012 5:01:50 PM

5. I would have been named Laura had I been born a girl.

Posted by: Sam | May 10, 2012 5:01:52 PM

6. I would have been Samantha....

Posted by: Derek | May 10, 2012 5:07:37 PM

7. Shannon Storm had I been a girl.

Posted by: Shane | May 10, 2012 5:08:36 PM

8. i never heard my parents talk about that for me, but with family tradition it would have probably been after both my grandmothers (i'm named after my grandfathers). so it would have been 'Rosina' and 'Frances'; wow! never thought about that before; strange combo...

my mother was born on February 12th & the doctor actually named her - 'Lincoln' - which is really a very beautiful name for a woman, if you think about it.

BUT, i remember her saying she was glad she wasn't born a boy or they would have named her "Abraham"!

Posted by: mike/ | May 10, 2012 5:11:30 PM

9. I would have been Dastiesse.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 10, 2012 5:12:12 PM

10. Shannon Storm! That's a good one, it sounds like the secret identity for a superhero.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | May 10, 2012 5:13:29 PM

11. JT

Posted by: TJ | May 10, 2012 5:14:49 PM

12. can you just post the news so i can leave work!?

Posted by: AB | May 10, 2012 5:15:31 PM

13. As a girl? I don't know. As a woman? Drunk Ho. Same thing they call me now.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 10, 2012 5:19:40 PM

14. I was never told by my parents what my name would've been had I been born XX instead of XY. But for what it's worth, I decided a while ago that if I were ever to do drag, forgoing the "formulas" that exist out there for getting your drag name, I want to be Dusty Nicnacs.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | May 10, 2012 5:28:52 PM

15. Well my internet nom de plume is already opposite gender. Whenever I send complaints to a company, I use Katherine Chancellor. See a pattern here? LOL.

Posted by: Angela Channing | May 10, 2012 5:29:29 PM

16. Oh God, is this what this blog is becoming...what's your girl name? groan.

Posted by: Marty | May 10, 2012 5:30:35 PM

17. My female name would have been Heidi. Heidi Howe.

Reason #237 why I am grateful for a penis.

Posted by: Tom Howe | May 10, 2012 5:34:29 PM

18. Andy:
    Any chance that Andrew Belonsky could be replaced by some version of an e-journalist? He's pretty creepily off-the-mark with each posting.

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | May 10, 2012 5:34:29 PM

19. @AB/Ricco/Marty

You always seem to be on here with your cattiness when someone other than Andy is posting. It's kind of getting old! This site is more than just hard news, and that is just fine. I like the mix of news and lifestlye/fun stuff that appeals to our gay sensibilities. Not everything is going to appeal to everyone so quit acting like a crabby old fart.

Posted by: WOW | May 10, 2012 5:37:18 PM

20. Ugh, god. Andy, please have Brandon Thorp take over next time you go on vacation. This Belonsky person is so inept and annoying. I don't HAVE a female name, 'cause, ya know, I'm not a girl and don't have any interest in pretending I am one. Shocker, right?

More Brandon, more science, more skepticism, more honest news reporting without patronizing spin, LESS of this. Thanks.

Posted by: ZombieTuring | May 10, 2012 5:37:52 PM

21. Include Wavin' Dave to that post as well. Some people do nothing but complain.

Posted by: WOW | May 10, 2012 5:38:52 PM

22. LOL Andrew, this was random :p

Not bad, mind you, but random.

Wish I had an answer. Never bothered asking my mother what she would have called me had I been a girl.

Posted by: Ryan | May 10, 2012 5:49:15 PM

23. My first name is Damon. I usually end up being called Damien, thanks to 'The Omen'. Actually, any male name that begins with a 'D' seems to work, as soooo many people can't seem to remember it. I'll answer to David, Darren, Daniel, whatever. I was told that if I had been born a girl, I was going to be named 'Chandeliel'. As in, a play on chandelier, the light fixtures. Mind you, I'm of mixed race, coming from English / Scottish / Black Irish mixed with Cherokee / Cree - somehow this makes me Caucasian. And, I'm from Protestant, small-town Statesota! My parents were quite sheltered and sober... I have no idea what they were thinking, other than they liked how those names sound.

Posted by: DC | May 10, 2012 5:49:41 PM

24. I would have been Susan, instead of Tim. I've honestly never met a "Susan" I liked. (Present company excepted, of course....) Glad I was born a boy.

Posted by: Keppler | May 10, 2012 5:50:52 PM

25. lucy leanora. which thankfully i was born a male. however, she was mom's great grandmother and was a hell of a lady. she may have attended the woman's right convention of 1848 (the records burned) at 18 with her mother, knew all and worked with all the women righters of her day, was egged for co-sponsering a talk by fredrick douglass, was a major educator in syracuse, was a single mother (widowed young), wrote the flora and fauna standard for onandaga county, helped establish the historical society for onandaga county. i have a newspaper clipping of her and her best friend of 85 years, both in their 90's, in edwardian black, taking tea, having returned from voting for the first time in 1920.

Posted by: titus | May 10, 2012 5:53:43 PM