14-Year-Old Anti-Gay Radio Pundit Pulled From The Air

Cowger

Last week Andy wrote about Caiden Cowger, a deeply religious 14-year-old author internet talk-radio host, whose on-air anti-gay rant went suddenly viral. In the rant, Cowger said:

I see younger people that is turning out to be homosexuals…we've got about 30 teenagers in this county that I'm at that are homosexuals and it is sickening…I knew these teenagers when they were in elementary school…they were not homosexuals. They just decided all of a sudden – I think I'm going to be gay. Why they are becoming homosexuals is because they are being encouraged … [by] President Obama. It's all right, it's okay you were born that way.

There was a lot more, and it was all tragic for a lot of reasons. Because of the grammar; because of the absence of critical thought; because this plainly immature and unformed 14-year-old's youthful idiocies had, by the gross democracy of the internet, been placed permanently in public view, doomed to follow him through life no matter how much he evolved or came to regret his adolescent wrong-headedness.

Well — the service hosting Caiden Cowger's program, Speaker, has belatedly tried to rectify the latter problem. The Advocate reports they've taken away Cowger's show:

This follows after YouTube also appeared to remove the show from its site, although its resurfaced elsewhere on the site and opponents have started a red-flagging campaign.

“While we not only support free speech, we help it find its way to more people faster and easier with our service that is the audio equivalent of YouTube, but like them, we cannot and will not condone hate speech," said Spreaker CEO Francesco Baschieri in a statement. "Consequently, we have pulled down audio content from Caiden Cowgar, whose recent gay-bashing clearly crosses the line from free — to hate — speech."

While Cowger's shows have been removed from Speaker, his account with the service remains active. On Friday, he posted a brief statement asserting that he doesn't hate gay people. Speaker reports it may restore some of Cowger's past episodes to the internet once their content has been vetted.

Comments

1. Paul R says

Oh good golly, what a shame.

Corporate America is reading the writing on the wall. Finally.

2. fsinsd says

This kid appears to be emulating Rush Limbaugh. Just watch him and you’ll see what I mean. Sad.

3. Tallulah says

I’m grateful that things I said when I was 14 years old are not out there for the world to see.

4. Tallulah says

5. Al says

It’s ironic that “we” adults would be willing to cut this child some slack, taking into context his immaturity and his upbringing, if it weren’t for all his adult “supporters” pushing him out there as a wise soul.

6. says

Look for young Mr. Cowgar to become a guest on Rush Limbaugh’s show as well as Sean Hannity’s, Bill O’Reilly’s and Fox & Friends. You know, to show how big of bullies we gays and our straight allies are (not).

7. Randy says

So he doesn’t hate gays. I would like to ask him for an example of what he would say if he DID hate gays and how that is different from what he said on air. Then explain the difference.

In my book, saying that gays disgust you is pretty much the definition of hate. But in the world of Rush Limbaugh, I understand that words take on a different meaning.

8. tc in bk says

Can we change, “deeply religious” to “brainwashed”? For that is truly what this situation is; the poor boy just isn’t able to think for himself.

9. Tessie Tura says

Won’t be long till we learn that this pathetic closet case has been molested for a period of time by someone in his church – a pastor, perhaps. And I will feel no pity. Poor little Caiden Cowgirl.

10. Tessie Tura says

11. John M says

He emulates Rush, stole his logo from Glen Beck and apparently only owns one shirt.

12. My2cents says

One suspects that he is being strongly instructed by his parents, his minister, and others around him, in his homophobic rants. I’d feel better about our own response (as a community), if some responding didn’t attack him personally. At the end of the day, this is still a child who may be dealing with his own personal shame. He seems personally threatened by peers who have outed themselves.

West Virginia has a special dislike of Obama. Democrats gave some 30% of the Democratic nomination vote to a convicted criminal in their recent primary.

13. says

parents who raise their children to be like this little @ss-wipe do their children a massive disservice. congrats, mom and dad, you just ensured that your child will be tagged as a bigot for the rest of his life.

14. andrew says

This is obviously a troubled young man. Any “normal” teenaged boy is all about sports and girls. His obsession with homosexuality shows where his troubles lie. All of you on the left and right who use this young man for ideological purposes should hang your heads in shame.

15. says

What’s with this “All of you on the left and right” crap? The kid’s parents made him what he is today — and they sure as hell aren’t left-wingers!

16. NullNaught says

I love the ACLU. I love free speech. I wonder, now that corporate America is condemning hate speech, how long will it be before hate speech is no longer seen to be protected by the Constitution? I disagree strongly with what this young man has to say, but I would defend to the death his right not only to say it but to be heard.
    He only helped us by looking extreme. He discredited that viewpoint.

17. michaelofthegreen says

I never understand how these companies that host speakers of hate fail to understand the first amendment and the concept of “free speech”. Removing this kid from their roster (or Imus, or any others who should be removed from a sponsored forum) doesn’t infringe on his first amendment rights or impede his freedom to speak. It only deprives him of an audience that the company connects him to, by the grace of their advertisers. He’s free to “speak” anything he likes in public forums, and, with the vast accessibility of the internet and email, and with street corners on which to rave, his opportunity to reach lots of people with his ideas still exists, and the government (and I) will defend his right to spout whatever crap he feels like spouting. Hosting bigots is just not always good business, and that’s a decision they and their shareholders can make without infringing on anyone’s rights.

18. russ says

There ARE limits to speech. This kid was spouting pure hate.It’s too bad he’s been brainwashed to think the way he does, but maybe this will be a wake-up call for him.

19. St. Theresa of Avila says

He is almost certainly a deranged little closet case…but things like this worry me because it makes him seem like a martyr for right-wing “free speech.” He’ll probably find some other outlet for his crap and become even more popular than he was.

20. Michael Lederman says

This young man is a genius and thank you to the blog for introducing me to him, I need search out his website and join immediately.

The homosexual agenda is a minority of people who want society to consider them as a special group based solely on the fact that they like to perform sodomy on members of the same gender. It didn’t work when men wanted to marry multiple wives or when people wanted to marry children or animals and yes it is the same thing. You may think your two consenting adults when in fact your two people who are deviates from what is normal for society to function.

21. Pygar says

No, there are NOT limits to free speech. This is a perfect case to be taken up by the ACLU. Do I like anything about what he says? Hell, no. That’s not the point.

22. OK says

@Nullnaught: He is guaranteed free speech, he can say whatever he wants. However, he is NOT guaranteed to have that soapbox he preaches from be provided by a private company.

23. OK says

@PYGAR free speech does not mean you are free from the consequences of what you say. BTW there are limits on free speech: you can’t yell fire in a crowded theater is just one example.

24. Paul B. says

@Michael…”You may think your two consenting adults when in fact your two people who are deviates from what is normal for society to function”.
    Check the spelling dear…it’s… ” you’re two consenting adults”.

25. Abel says

“Deeply religious?” Fourteen year old boys aren’t deeply anything, except horny. This sad little closet case is frightened of his own desires. Classic case. An inept young Tonette Perkins.

26. Francis says

Shut up, Michael Lederman. You’re always coming here shilling some anti-gay junk. Sorry, but we’re not buying what you’re selling.

As for this Caiden Cowger kid, if a company chooses not to associate with flagrant bigotry, they have that right. So good on Speaker for pulling this boy’s shown. Definitely, a 14 year old kid focused more on who is having gay sex and being an outspoken advocate of the social conservative movement, is not someone who has their priorities in order, and the blame here should primarily go to Caiden’s parents, who have turned their child into a monster.

27. JJ says

@Michael, God chose Moses for the honor of receiving his ten commandments, so I guess the multiple wives thing works for God. And Jesus had no wives at all. He spent all his life in the company of men. We call them long-time companions nowadays. If you’re saying Jesus was a virgin to all those men then prove it.

Oh, and if you can get a dog–any dog–to agree to marry you, then you can call it the same thing.

28. says

I’m gonna demand to go on FOX news and spout pro-gay and pro-Obama propaganda! Because it’s part of my first amendment right to free speech, right? They have to let me on!!!

29. Mary says

“Deeply religious?” Fourteen year old boys aren’t deeply anything, except horny”

Abel, I beg to differ. There are plenty of 14 year olds who are deeply religious and/or deeply intellectual, or deeply concerned with others. This view that the only certain thing you can be at 14 is a horndog is WAY off base, in my experience. Teenagers are not just a collection of hormones. As a teenager I was FAR more interested in reading and ideas than sex. And I managed to keep my virginity until I married at age 34. This kid may just be the type that isn’t deeply sexual.

I”m not trying to side with his politics here (Speaker had every right to withdraw support from his show. His free speech was not violated.) I just don’t understand this belief that everyone, especially teenagers, is intensely sexual.

30. OK says

@Mary: one small thing, Speaker didn’t support his show like it was a seal of approval. From what I get from the article is they were the internet/audio hosting service provider for the show. They don’t have to host his site/show if they don’t want to as he was just a customer. They don’t have to do business with him.

31. chris255 says

They are not taking away his ability to speak, just not through those specific avenues. These commercial entities are companies. They are not police, they are not law enforcement officers, they are not rounding up protestors and putting them in jail. It is their right to have and take whatever they feel and Caiden very lawfully, very LEGALLY AGREED to these sites Terms of Use. If he violates these Terms of Use then the site has every right to take down content and even delete his account.

The ACLU can’t touch this with a 10ft pole. It’s ok though. The kid will be coddled by the extremist he idolizes and given a paid national show.

32. FunMe says

Don’t forget which church he comes from: the PENTECOSTAL church which is as homophobic as the BAPTIST.

33. NullNaught says

@OK
    I said “I love the ACLU” in order to let you know what kind of person I am. I specifically avoided suggesting they should take it up for the reasons you state. They would not prevail. The companies are legally correct. I never said otherwise.
    I implied that I was sorry to see them give the appearance of limiting his free speech because if big corporations do so and the public approves there is noone but the ACLU to object when SCOTUS finds hate speech unprotected speech and defines it so liberally we will not be able to demonstrate in public or criticize the government. I fear that the precident set by large corporations can lead to an actual legal limitation of free speech.
    Philosophically, I take the position that we should never appear to limit the free speech of our opponents. Strategically I say this because it just makes them able to paint themselves as martyrs.
    I think he should be broadcast as widely as possible because he is so extreme he discredits homophobia. He helps us, not hurts us.
    Next time, try attacking a position I am actually taking instead of presenting me as a straw man easy to knock down. Thanks. :)

34. WHAT? says

@Nullnaught

Your last sentence at 10:36: how were you being “attacked”? “OK” just brought up a point that the company is under no obligation to provide him a vehicle to bring forth the kid’s opinions. You weren’t attacked! Geez, when someone brings up another viewpoint you think you are being attacked? I guess your opinion is the only one that matters?

35. Dave says

He is the product of anti-gay Christian teaching. Anti-gay Christian Churches teach children how to bully gay children.

36. Rich says

@paul b
    “Check the spelling dear…it’s… ” you’re two consenting adults”.
    We’ll do our best to correct your grammar while your here Michael. Now put your cousin back in her crib and wipe your fingers off, it’s dinner time.”

Make that “while you’re here”.
    If you want to play grammar police, make sure of your own. ;-}

37. NullNaught says

@What?
    I didn’t say I was attacked. I said a position I didn’t even hold was attacked. Should I have said criticized? I was responding to OK. Have you noticed that what he said directed at me seemed to assume I had taken a position and then proceded to criticize or “attack” it logically as regarding the law. That is, he implied a charge that involved a matter of legal opinion on which we agreed. As if I had taken a legal position I hadn’t. I don’t think it is unfair to say he had attacked a position I did not hold.
    The bit about presenting me as a straw man easy to knock down was refering to the fact the fallacy he had commited is called a “straw-man argument.”
    He hadn’t offered a differing opinion. He directed at me a non-sequitur opinion which only made sense if you assume he was criticizing a position I did not hold.
    So even if you want to disagree with my choice of language, I would argue that I never said I took it personally… my remark about next time try attacking a position I actually hold is about I don’t think he is in my intellectual league because he doesn’t display the reading comprehension necessary to debate with me if he can’t accurately replicate my position.
    I would have said nothing if he had made his remark general rather than personally aiming it at me. Does this not seem reasonable to you?
    Did I tell him his opinion was wrong, or that I agree with him legally? I think I said I agree with him. I disagreed that what he argued with had anything to do with what I was saying?
    Have I made this overly-clear? I don’t want to do so, but you have displayed no more reading comprehension than OK. I am afraid if I don’t say it over and over in many different ways once again a position I do not hold will be criticized.

38. Sarm says

Watch the Christians cry like the spoiled children they are because their puppet got his content pulled.

39. woodroad34d says

I was watching the premiere of True Blood last night and I forgot the one image in the opening credits of a small boy in Ku Klux Klan robes…talk about indoctrination (especially in the south)

40. Jack M says

Courts in America have put limits on free speech throughout history. Anyone who thinks otherwise should do a bit of research.

41. Pygar says

@ Jack, that still doesn’t mean their decisions are constitutional. I say, no limits.

42. A. says

Censorship in any form is abhorrent in a free society. This kid might have spouted idiotic things but if he can be silenced, who among us is safe from the same treatment?

43. says

RUsh Limbaugh often has gay callers on his show and he treats them with respect. He was deep;ly saddened when Greg Lougainis revealed he has AIDS, becaus ehe liked him and admired him as a national treasure, and said so. He is not a homophobe.

44. says

Shutting this kid up is not the solution. He will find other ways. Educating him is his business, we do not need to be running Maoist reeducation camps. If he knows 30 kids in his county that are gay now, then that is amazing. But he needs to be told by them that they were not seduced by Obama. They don’t have any money, Obama would not care about them one way or another.

45. Sam Molloy says

There is a really good documentary “The wild and wonderful Whites of West Virginia” (Family name, and coincidentally also their color). It has some very insightful and articulate interviews with the local law enforcement, and is also a real good argument against “Gummint Checks”. There is mention of a young teenage White who commited suicide. I’m thinking he may have been Gay, but in that family he could have just been normal.

46. Rick Smith says

While I think the things that this kid said were incorrect & appalling he has the First Amendment right to do so. I’m sure people like Rush Lambaugh, Glenn Beck and Bryan Fischer are this kids heroes but they too have the right to be stupid. We cannot ban someone from free speech just because we don’t like the message. I personally would prefer this kid, along with Limbaugh, Beck & Fischer be out in the open so people just how stupid they really are.

47. DAVE says

@Nullnaught:

Somebody added another view to your point and you go off that your position is being attacked! Did he say he was attacking your position or being critical of you? They directed a comment at you. Apparently nobody can carry on a conversation without you getting all defensive and going into a huge lecture. Why even bother.

48. Jerry6 says

Hot Damn! Here I thought I had an on line version of the “Rush” comedy show that I could get on the computer. The kid was great! Complete with all of Rush’s mannerism’s and idiotic story line. Just think, in a year or two, when he “Matures”, and comes out; he will be on every talk show going.

49. billmiller says

Sad kid, just repeating others unbelievable drivel, he does sound like rush limpdck though. Pitiful and very damaging words!

50. DD says

He is 14 and doesn’t really know what he is talking about. You don’t decide to be gay. It is genetic.

They say that those that protest gay usually are.

Did Obama turn this guy gay?